Lynskey Helix Pro Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Robt57

by Robt57

MiloAS wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:03 am
All new except chainrings, which are second hand. Not sure what i'd put it down to given that it only happens when i'm sprinting.... bizarre.
Any more questions give me a shout!
Got mine rolling, have to agree with your estimation of ride quailty/feel. I really expected it to ride more like my ProCX Linskey does. It has a nice ride though. The fit could not be better too.

Link to post/pic:

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=14214&p=1556960#p1556960

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Robt57 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:38 am
MiloAS wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:03 am
All new except chainrings, which are second hand. Not sure what i'd put it down to given that it only happens when i'm sprinting.... bizarre.
Any more questions give me a shout!
Got mine rolling, have to agree with your estimation of ride quailty/feel. I really expected it to ride more like my ProCX Linskey does. It has a nice ride though. The fit could not be better too.

Link to post/pic:

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=14214&p=1556960#p1556960
That looks great! The bigger frame sizes look really good. I'm quite miffed as I thin ki could've got a size up. But oh well!

Are you pleased with it overall?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robt57

by Robt57

MiloAS wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:50 pm
That looks great! The bigger frame sizes look really good. I'm quite miffed as I thin ki could've got a size up. But oh well!

I litterally just brought it out in my sub division to bed the brakes. I can say the fit of it seems spot on from the get go. And it has a little longer WB than my go fast rim brake stuff. So time and miles will tell to answer your question properly. But looking good I'd say.

But Lynskey had Back Ordered the #6 fork on me. Glad I had done a sepatate order for it. They charged my CCard 3/12 and I never got a shipping conf. I called them a few days after the charge went thru, [after sitting at pending for a week] and they said they wern't sure, but soonest shipping date would be 4/12-13. I asserted myself and said ship it NOW or refund the card and charge the card when you actually ship it. They hedged on that suggestion, so I said let process a return on the frame and canel the fork order. Their next suggestion was better, they shipped me the ENVE next day with no upcharge for the 35% off price I got the Lynskey fork for. so 273.00 for the ENVE and 956.00 for the frame with industrial mill upgrade. So prestty happy with cost, although with this CV-19 effect on our moneys, maybe I should have sent it back...

I am sure in 60 days I will be glad I kept it. 70^ here Monday, going to go hill climbing on it.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Robt57 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 pm
MiloAS wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:50 pm

I litterally just brought it out in my sub division to bed the brakes. I can say the fit of it seems spot on from the get go. And it has a little longer WB than my go fast rim brake stuff. So time and miles will tell to answer your question properly. But looking good I'd say.

But Lynskey had Back Ordered the #6 fork on me. Glad I had done a sepatate order for it. They charged my CCard 3/12 and I never got a shipping conf. I called them a few days after the charge went thru, [after sitting at pending for a week] and they said they wern't sure, but soonest shipping date would be 4/12-13. I asserted myself and said ship it NOW or refund the card and charge the card when you actually ship it. They hedged on that suggestion, so I said let process a return on the frame and canel the fork order. Their next suggestion was better, they shipped me the ENVE next day with no upcharge for the 35% off price I got the Lynskey fork for. so 273.00 for the ENVE and 956.00 for the frame with industrial mill upgrade. So prestty happy with cost, although with this CV-19 effect on our moneys, maybe I should have sent it back...

I am sure in 60 days I will be glad I kept it. 70^ here Monday, going to go hill climbing on it.
I've got to say, the more I'm using mine now I'm WFH, the more I'm liking it. I've rejigged the position a bit, or my core has got stronger, either way.... and it's dead comfortable. I'm getting used to the snappy handling as well, after 1800km.

That's great to hear you got an enve fork cheaper! You'll have to look at it as an investment I suppose... it's an excuse to keep you active.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

The WFH situation means I'm riding this bike a lot more now, so the inevitable has happened and I'm making upgrades.
Recent purchases:
  • - S works turbo cotton tyres
    - Vittoria latex inner tubes
    - Mt Zoom seatpost clamp
    - KMC x11sl gold chain
    - TA specialities syrius chainrings
I've fitted the tyres/tubes today, leading to a measly 22g saving!

Old setup:
  • - Continental GP5000 25cc = 220g + 216g
    - Continental inner tubes = 133g(!) + 93g
Total = 662g

New setup:
  • - S works turbo cotton 26mm = 239g + 240g
    - Vittoria latex inner tubes = 79g + 82g
Total = 640g

So, overall not a huge decrease in weight. I'd been running the GP5000's at ridiculously low pressures, 45PSI front and 60PSI rear. Admittedly that wasn't on purpose, I just got lazy with pumping them up and they felt very comfortable. I originally ran the Turbo's at 60PSI, and they felt exactly the same as the GP5000's, much to my disappointment. However, pumping them up to c. 80/90PSI, they felt rapid, and make a beautiful hollow echo noise as they roll. I had a brief 14km shakedown ride today, so I'm in no position to leave an accurate review.
I think when these give up the ghost I'll swap to tubeless Vittoria Corsa's.

Still waiting on the new chain, clamp, and chainrings. Covid-19 has understandably interrupted the supply chain so things are taking their time. After a bike fit, I'll be getting a carbon seat post, lighter stem/handlebars (ideally an extralite stem, and a carbon bar with an ovalised top section), new handlebar tape and maybe a new saddle.

My 18 year old DSLR wasn't able to focus on any of the glamour shots, leaving the frame pump/tool bottle shot being the only one in focus. I'll include some blurry ones as well.

Weight still sitting around 9.2/9.3kg. I'm aiming to get it to 9kg comfortable, maybe 8.5kg at a push.
Attachments
Not blurry 2.JPG
Not blurry 1.JPG
Not blurry 3.JPG

Robt57

by Robt57

I know this is weight Weenies and all. But I have other bikes that are quite light, so trying to make this a weight weenie was not my interest as much as, well spending money as it turns out. ;)

I tried a 650b 40mm wheels and tires yesterday, and boy it rode like a cream puff @ 55 PSI. So my quest is to get a nice light carbon disc wheelset and run 650b on it.

But this is the current finished riding state, Has some XTR Pacenti Laser wheels that are not too too heavy for a 29er but for this.... But I took off the 32mm tires in favor of some 229gram 25mm Michelins 76gr/latex tubes. That lost some real weight VS the 32s and fat butyl tubes, and in a really good place to loose that weight. So the bike feels snappy and a little less laborous going up. The 25mm Pro4s are 29mm on these rims. So I can live with that and like the Chain Stay clearance better than it was with a 32 tire on the back that was like 2mm.

Still has my test groupo on it, eventually it will wear an 11s SR Ti/Cult groupo once I figure out the brakes with campy.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

More weight shaving:
  • - Removed the FSA expander set, weighing 41.0g
    - Re-installed the Cane Creek/Extralite expander set up which weighs 22.8g

So that's a decrease of 18.2g

the headset bolt and top cap made up the bulk of the 22.8g, weighing 17.1g. There's a lot of scope to cut weight down there, so I'll be installing either a JRC carbon top cap and bolt, which is c. 7.5g. So ideally the expander setup will come down to 13.5g .

Still waiting for the TA specialities rings to arrive. If they take much longer I'm going to cancel the order and go for Stronglight Cermic Coating rings, then I can install the gold chain and go from there.

Bike fit due sometime this week (hopefully), so slimmer bars/lightweight seatpost, lightweight stem inbound and trimmed steerer inbound.
Attachments
IMG_20200419_141442.jpg
IMG_20200419_141520.jpg

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Extensive picture/weight photo dump and update following this - but I've got updated a lot of parts.

- new saddle
- new seat post
- new seat post clamp
- new chainrings
- new chain
- new stem
- new bars

Taking the weight down from a ridiculous 9.3kg to 8.1kg.

Thomson

by Thomson

Awesome. Any more pics on this? Will you be going for sub 8kg now?

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Thomson wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:03 am
Awesome. Any more pics on this? Will you be going for sub 8kg now?
Thanks!

I'll get some photos out in the next few days hopefully.

I've replaced the stem, pedals, handlebars and saddle.

The current running weight (light/bottle cages/saddle bag/light/wahoo etc. etc.) is 8.9kg, which I think is pretty good. I'll re-weigh it in a few days.
I'm happy with that weight for the time being, it's by no means svelte, but it's solid, handles well and is very comfortable.

However, chasing grams is fun regardless of performance benefits. I think I may have reached the point of diminishing return on investment when it comes to new parts. Upgrading the force derailleurs to red would shave some weight off, but at a high £/g ratio. There are some upgrades I'll get round to though:

1) JRC Carbon Front derailleur clamp - 7.4g (claimed) weight
2) Cut seatpost - removes c.50g
3) Sram Red F/R derailleur - not sure how many grams this will save

The current priority is a power meter, which will no doubt add a few grams.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

As mentioned, updated parts:

1) replaced the discs with Prime Centrelock rotors. Couldn't justify £50/each on Sram HRD, plus these new ones look like Brembo discs which are pretty cool. Weight was roughly on par with the previous rotors

2) stem updated to a 3T arx, one of the best stiffness to weight ratios as per FairWheel's Bike's testing. I'm planning to upgrade to titanium bolts and acetone the logos off as well. a 20g saving on my previous zipp stem.

3) i really liked the shape of my previous bars, Zipp Sl70 ergo, but wanted an aero bar with the flat top section. I found a pair of prime primavera bars on ebay for a really good price, so i jumped on them. The shape is pretty normal until you reach the ends of the bar, where there's a concave section that nicely fits your palm as you rest your hands on the controls. First ride today and they were incredible.They also dropped 20g from the total weight.

4) bought a low stack headset cover and integrated top cap, which really tidies up the front end.

Weight sitting at c.8.7kg
Attachments
IMG_20200821_193958.jpg
IMG_20200821_193947.jpg
IMG_20200821_193932.jpg

jbaillie

by jbaillie

How's the Syrius chainring? I tried swapping my Red chainrings for something more traditional looking (SRAM's old Powerglide) and the shifting got really problematic. I wasn't sure if the "hidden bolt" alignment acutally made a difference but have been hesitant to buy something new.

Yoln

by Yoln

Very nice built! Digging these tan walls. Not a fan generally but I have to admit it looks amazing with the Titanium frame.

Also, really makes me wanna take the top-tube decals, much much cleaner

jbaillie wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:08 am
How's the Syrius chainring? I tried swapping my Red chainrings for something more traditional looking (SRAM's old Powerglide) and the shifting got really problematic. I wasn't sure if the "hidden bolt" alignment acutally made a difference but have been hesitant to buy something new.
I just took one of from my Wilier after about 1000km, shifting was terrible, I know Extralute have a meh reputation around here, but to me it was still better than the Syrius.

See here: viewtopic.php?t=162805
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

MiloAS

by MiloAS

jbaillie wrote:
Not great. I replaced my chain and chainring at the same time, so wasn't sure whether the poor shifting was caused by one or another. The shifting is pretty slow with the Syrius rings, and i've had a LOT of random chain drops, one time it was so 'extreme' that my chain catcher was bent off and I almost came off.

The chain I bought is also pretty bad. It's the KMC X11 with hollow pins. Whatever material they use to coat the chain doesn't get on well with wax lube, which has trouble sticking to the surface.

Once the drivetrain wears out I'm moving to either Red rings or Stronglite rings, with a Sram/YBN chain and sram cassette.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Yoln wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:54 am
Very nice built! Digging these tan walls. Not a fan generally but I have to admit it looks amazing with the Titanium frame.

Also, really makes me wanna take the top-tube decals, much much cleaner

jbaillie wrote:
I just took one of from my Wilier after about 1000km, shifting was terrible, I know Extralute have a meh reputation around here, but to me it was still better than the Syrius.

See here: viewtopic.php?t=162805
Thanks! Yeh I love the tan walls, but I'm looking forward to going back to all black tyres soon. These S works Turbo Cotton tyres are by far the best i've tried, but London roads have not been kind to them, they're very cut up and haven't got much life left in them. I'll be replacing them with a pair of open pave tyres in the coming months.

Agreed with your comments on the Syrius rings, crap!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com