Pinarello Stelvio

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

This arrived today. This is the sellers pic. I have unpacked it then repacked it as it will be sent of next week for repainting and new decals.

the question what colour. Keep it in the original red or do something different. I need ideas as I am stuck. As for groupset I am undecided. I could go all modern with Super record RS from another bike (which needs stripping down for a repaint or sale) or I could go all retro with it. I have some modolo carbon down tube shifters for a start and a mavic RD and starfish chainset. I could even buy a record 8 speed groupset. I have a record 10 speed groupset spare too I could use that.

So ideas please as I am in a muddle.
Wheels are likely to be the HEDC2 tubular rims I have on record 9/10/11 speed hubs or another set using velocity escape rims on chorus hubs or something else entirely. You see the muddle I am in.
how to delete your account

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

My vote is keep it original and put the modern SR on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Thats was my original thought.

TonyM

by TonyM

Original colour and SR 11 or 12 speed

micky

by micky

I vote for the retro-modern too!

bilwit

by bilwit

it's always badass to see retro frames with modern groupsets, wouldn't go too deep with the wheels though! maybe 45mm deep at the most

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Actually I have some new 45mm light weight carbon rims to build up and a record 12 speed groupset on order (which I should sell really). Choices, choices. Still tempted to use the HED/record tubular wheels though, they are feeling unloved and that will not do!

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

Another vote for retro-modern. Period-correct if you're planning on doing one of the Eroica rides, but you're probably past the pre-1987 cutoff, no? Stelvio was a 90s model if memory serves… What year is the frame?

Nothing wrong with that colour scheme; I'd keep it.

FYI, I'm restoring a ~1985 Treviso to original spec Nuovo Record/Super Record mix. I'll be following your progress with interest. :thumbup:
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think I know what I am going to do now.

The Sannino will get stripped for the super record rs groupset. Wheels will be 28f/28r record hubs laced to hed tubular wheels or the 20f/24r pacenti sl23/ Royce wheelset with ti flanges and carbon shells. I will use the record carbon post from my commutor and replace that with a nitto probably.

The Sannino will get repainted as well but this will be rebuilt with some light weight parts I have (middleburn chainset, modolo carbon shifters, Mavic rd, planet X brakes), as it's a light weight steel frame.

The trek 2300 can get the record 10 speed groupset. This way I don't have to buy any new parts just swap around what I already have.