Ooof...I'm going to be in trouble... (Ryan's Miniature Blue Crumpton)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Gumwalls are modern!! BTW for anyone curious, I wetsanded at 800 grit and stopped when the logos disappeared and nothing more. I finished with 1600-2400-3200 grit, then polished and waxed.

Go die, your name isn't even Tony!!!!

tonytourist

by tonytourist

You didn't give the same love to my shifters :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

:(

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Don't get rid of the evo. In my opinion it is a much nicer looking bike.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imaking20

by Imaking20

^No bias though.

Both bikes are awesome. The Evo is maybe the best looking WW Evo I've seen... but EVERYONE has a Cannondale.

Mep

by Mep

Imaking20 wrote:^No bias though.

Both bikes are awesome. The Evo is maybe the best looking WW Evo I've seen... but EVERYONE has a Cannondale.

Which is why he needs one!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Ha.

Well, I think if the ride and handling is at least as good as the Evo - and the weight can get down to ~5.5kg - then why not sell the Evo and keep the Crumpton?

Or let the wife pick :D

RyanH

by RyanH

For me, it comes down to: a) how much will it cost me to replace/repurchase a frameset/item down the road and b) how much time is involved. Getting rid of the Evo would be easy because picking up a used one in my size is a weekly occurrence. I have the Litespeed Classic broken down but hanging up in the utility closet because I think it'll be awhile for another to pop up in similar condition and same size. Finding this Crumpton took me probably 3 years.

I do like the Evo a lot though and aesthetically, it's one of my favorite bikes. That and the T3. The T3 is still my favorite bike (for now).

I did get a chance to take it on a proper ride today in that I got to ride on some very crappy roads as well as one of the best descents in SoCal during a very long commute (totaled 85 miles today). When I commute to a client site, I become demanding of comfort since I'm tired and I don't want to be jarred around on Huntington and Arrow Hwy (my usual route for a few client sites). The Crumpton delivers on that and I think as well as the T3, which is saying a lot. The Evo, forget about it.

I have a few more iterations to go before I'll call it complete, but here it is now:

I think the weight is around 5.8kg at the moment.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

85 mile commute :shock:

That's my typical commute miles for a week.

It doesn't look like there's much weight to come off this aside from stem and brakes. Pretty nice to hit sub 6k with such little effort. What are you thinking long term for wheels? Are the Boras good enough that you'll accept the clashing brands? :lol:

RyanH

by RyanH

Those are eeBrakes now, so not much to be lost there unless I went to Fibulas again, which would drop circa 30g. I could replace the CK headset with a Tune Bubu which would drop 40-50g but I'm not super excited about popping out the headset for no reason. I have a Parlee FD clamp coming which'll save 13g or so.

If I get a new stem, I want a shiny black stem (anodized black) and I need something with about 130mm of reach. The 120mm Extralite could work but on my Xicon it negatively influenced the handling (caused the bike to become unstable at speed/darty). I may be dumb enough to try that again. If I did go that route, I'd go for the new Schmolke Evo TLO bars which have about 1cm more reach than the Pro bars to make up the difference. Despite the Thomson being mildly offensive on the weight side of things, I think it looks nice on this bike, much better than on the Classic. That and I love the Pro bars, the bend is perfect and the oversized tops are nice.

I may put the SISL2 on this bike. I haven't decided yet though.

philhul83

by philhul83

Aesthetically at least the bars and stem work perfectly as they are

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Off topic, what year and size is the EVO, and when it'll be on sale. I'm callin' dip on it, asian discount?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I would agree that the stem looks pretty good on there. A Zipp stem would also fit the aesthetic requirements and available in -17. It also SHOULD be a little lighter. Based on your feedback awhile ago on the Extralite, I'd say it's probably not worth going that route.

I think EE brakes are awesome. I'd rock that. And for practical reasons, also probably wouldn't do away with the CK headset. Also you can't argue with it's durability on a bike that you're planning to really ride.

How much would the SISL2 shave? I was pondering that (while unable to sleep last night) and figured it could go on the Crumpton and open a spot for an SR crank on the T3... but, again, maybe not worth it if it's only saving 20ish grams. At least until one of the bikes needs a new bottom bracket.

Edit: Also 5.8kg with solid wheels and 25mm tires is pretty legit.

RyanH

by RyanH

Actually, the SISL2 is about 20g heavier than what I'm currently running, but that's not exactly apples to apples. If I wanted shifting as good as the SISL2, I'd have to go Praxis which would be a 30g gain. Actually, to be honest, I think the Red rings shift better than Praxis but they're even heavier. The Zipp stems are fairly porky. IIRC, mine was around 140g for a 100mm one, so 130mm would be probably close to what the Thomson is. The Tune Headsets are pretty well designed and I'd be comfortable using it as opposed to the Extralite headset which has a design flaw on the compression cap that ends up cutting your fork.

I've been wanting a SR crankset for the T3 but holy hell they are stupid expensive and it'd be almost a 200g gain so I can't wrap my head around that one.

@asiantrick, I think it's claimed by a friend of mine. It's a size 50 and 2013. He was oggling it the other week when I stopped by to pick up eTap from him so I figured I should offer it to him first.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Oh, holy shit the new Zipp stem got heavy. I had the older round profile and I thought it was sub 120g at 110mm.

I hear you on the SR crank. I was able to snag one with a custom group for not much more than an I'm seeing SISL2 setups go for... but can't help with the weight issue.