Moving from SDU to Deluxe on HT3?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dubxion

by dubxion

Hi, working on min/max setups on my Hightower 3, one light trail, the other more AM/Enduro. I'm here of course to discuss the light setup. Already have carbon wheelset with SE4/Rekon f/r and new lighter, but still robust, cranks coming after a crash. Was curious about picking up a used/takeoff Deluxe for the light setup, which seems like would save ~150g. Carbon wheelset and more efficient tires made a huuge difference. Deluxe Ultimates seem to be US$150-200 take-off/lightly used, so might be worth a try and would probably just lose out on shipping if it's not what I'm looking for.

Any experiences for people moving back and forth between a Deluze and Super Deluxe, what the feel is on the trail and any efficiency gains/loses? I can't imagine a lot of people going from a SDU to the Deluxe who ride HT's, and a bit embarrassed to ask about this on other forums lol. Probably the most common situation closest the the HT is someone going between a Deluxe and Super Deluxe on a Tallboy 4 or 5, has anyone gone through this? Would also consider going to Fox Float, but from what I can see the SDUs do really well on the HT3 as opposed to Fox options, and I'm extrapolating that to a Deluxe vs Float.

Other item on the docket is moving to a Wolf Tooth dropper from the Fox Transfer which will have other advantages besides just losing ~200g, and would stay on for both setups. Not quite ready to go to a 100mm dropper. Max setup would be pretty much everything stock (CC X01, mechanical shifting, alloy rims) and put on a CC link; Fox 36 is set to 160mm. Has been a super fun ride all around, way more capable than I'll ever be, but still fun on non-techy trails.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com