Let's talk Down Country components (light but tough)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Light-Bicycle XC930 doesn't look durable enough?
Then consider Light-Bicycle AM930S?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I have some Nextie 30mm internal rims in an AM build (430g each) laced to 180s with black Berd spokes. 1300g on the nose.

Most durable wheels I’ve owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

DanW wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:08 am
Anyway, for a more robust XC wheel (the silly D word).....

I think I just have to be patient to get what I want (light, durable and better value than R2 or factory wheel builds)
At this point you're overthinking it. Just get on with it and order the parts you really want and have them built up. Get the Carbon Ti hubs if that is what you want, regardless of wait time. R2 has em in stock for boost in 28h. Just do it.

I ordered my XC930 with a slightly heavier lay up and in 28H as mentioned earlier. You can do that or choose one of their heavier profiles like Hexsense mentioned, or just order rims from somewhere else altogether. AM930 would probably be the ticket if you're concerned about the XC930.

I am a lighter rider at 67kg but knew that aside from XC racing I would be hitting chunky black diamond trails here in Southern California with all my friends who ride trail bikes. So far they have been holding up great.

davemac

by davemac

https://www.nextie.com/ultralight-mount ... -NXT29UM35

i have been running the 355 grams with carbon ti hubs and berd spoke at 1195 grams and been very , they actually sell whole wheel builds now just not with berd spokes wich I highly reccomend

F45

by F45

DanW wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:08 am
In terms of rims, I can get the new Bontrager Kovee RSL for £400 and I've used the previous Kovee rims and they've been perfect. Problem is 24h only (Reserve 28 also in the LBS for a good deal and also 24h) and there aren't many 24h hubs. Carbon Ti the only real option and there's a wait for those. I think I just have to be patient to get what I want (light, durable and better value than R2 or factory wheel builds)
Newmen SLXA25 or 30 at 304g and 357g/rim. You can order everything from R2 right now.

sigma

by sigma

LeDuke wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:05 am
I have some Nextie 30mm internal rims in an AM build (430g each) laced to 180s with black Berd spokes. 1300g on the nose.

May I ask which hubs you laced for this build? I am thinking about doing something similar - tossing between Nextie and We Are One and thinking to try Berd Spokes for the first time.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

LeDuke

by LeDuke

sigma wrote:
LeDuke wrote:

May I ask which hubs you laced for this build? I am thinking about doing something similar - tossing between Nextie and We Are One and thinking to try Berd Spokes for the first time.
DT 180s.

Get directional drilling in the rims, if you can.

These wheels are a bit different than most here; I built them for backcountry riding in CO, miles and miles from other humans.

sigma

by sigma

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:53 pm
sigma wrote:
LeDuke wrote:

DT 180s.

Get directional drilling in the rims, if you can.

These wheels are a bit different than most here; I built them for backcountry riding in CO, miles and miles from other humans.

I am inclined to go the same route but in Utah with probably a slightly less remote application or more trail. I am thinking about the Nextie Asymmetric 35s for that with Berd spokes and the DT180s.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.

sigma

by sigma

Following this thread, what are folks running for bars/stems? I am building up a Transition Smuggler for mostly trail usage in Utah (Northern), so some technical descents combined with some flowy trails (ie, cannonical downcountry). Bike is going 140/140 on suspension I think but I am going to lighten it up. Is Darimo not sturdy enough for down country type riding? I have only used their seatposts for road which are great, but no experience with other components.

pushpush

by pushpush

sigma wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:49 am
Following this thread, what are folks running for bars/stems? I am building up a Transition Smuggler for mostly trail usage in Utah (Northern), so some technical descents combined with some flowy trails (ie, cannonical downcountry). Bike is going 140/140 on suspension I think but I am going to lighten it up. Is Darimo not sturdy enough for down country type riding? I have only used their seatposts for road which are great, but no experience with other components.
A wren stem and a kalloy stem with S-works and Canyon carbon bars.

rapsac

by rapsac

Newmen stems are very light but sturdy enough. Logos can be removed if needed.

DanW

by DanW

I think you are missing the point of the Smuggler to worry about a 80g vs 110g stem or putting Darimo bar on, but that is just my opinion. I'd be looking at a light but not scary light stem and ~200g carbon bars or ~300g alu bars (if you crash a lot) rated for riding hard. I'd want the Smuggler to take some significant drops and maybe more imprtantly, crashes, without worrying about components.

DanW

by DanW

Going back to my original questions:

My Rocky Mountain Element arrived, coming in at 2210g for the Medium, no axle, no seatclamp, Fox shock included, lots of chunky frame protyection included.

I now have XX1 AXS with Leap paddle upgrade as I found an ebay bargain. X0 cassette and chain to save money but no weight difference. SRAM XX1 cranks with Quarq PM is hard to beat for weigh, robustness and quality.

Wheels; I decided to stick with Roval Control and have some ebay bargain lighter hubs I will swap to when I have the time. I actually bought a second pair in the hope they may be lighter after my initial disappointment with their weight. Still overweight at 1494g (no valves) but better than the first pair.

Brakes; Still happy with Magura Trail SL. The Galfer rotor suggestion was a good one and I have some of the light, but not lightest Galfer rotors (save money) at 135g for 180mm diameter, 2mm width.

The Fox 34, 130mm GRIP2 came out at 1803g with the steerer cut and I'm sticking with that to have the mud clearance, mudguard compatability and wider range of adjustment vs SID or 34 SC.

Bar and Stem; Bontrager Line Pro with decals removed and Ti bolts, 120g. Specialized Control bars are 183g at 750mm width.

DanW

by DanW

Dropper is still my big problem area. I'd ideally like 125-150mm drop, 30.9. Probably 125mm drop to balance useful drop and weight.

I have an AXS Reverb which is good but heavy.

I was set on the BikeYoke Divine SL but the outer cable moving won't work well with the frame cable routing. Mixed reviews too.

I bought a latest version Magura Vyron and really like the slimmer lever vs the AXS and really like the operation. The weight was identical to that shown on R2 which is within a g of my AXS Reverb. Big problem was a ton of rotational play from new. Not good enough.

I then bought a 100mm drop Fox Transfer SL and that had the same big rotational play and a ton of forward and back play. Even worse than the Vyron :(

I have has KS Lev Ci in the past and while they work well, after a year they need a fairly expensive service to stop the play and issues that creep in.

9point8 Fall Line R had mixed reviews

Vecnum Nivo was promising and they were really helpful to chat to to work out options, but I'm not sure about the 7mm setback.

At this stage I'm thinking either just get anouth AXS Reverb for the convience or OneUp for cost and suck up the weight of each

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

DanW wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:02 pm
I was set on the BikeYoke Divine SL but the outer cable moving won't work well with the frame cable routing. Mixed reviews too.
You already tried the Bike Yoke? My bike yoke has been flawless. Easy lever actuation and perfect function.

I trashed the included cable and housing and used Shimano MTB Optislik cable/housing. Butter.