Epic refresh in '23 or '24

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

qwertzuiop

by qwertzuiop

vboy19 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:34 pm
Also what I find interesting is that the fork on the epic is using the ultimate lowers?? When you look at the pros they are using flight attendant with the SL lowers with the cut out.

I was thinking about buying the frame set without flight attendant and then sell the ultimate fork buy the sl fork then upgrade to flight attendant so I can have the lighter fork.
I believe there are different forks with different stroke lenghts. 100mm is the SL Ultimate with FA and higher travel is the SID Ultimate. If you don't need 120mm travel you can get the SL Ultimate with FA and don't have to swap anything. I could be wrong though...

jbattermann

by jbattermann

SL comes in 100 and 110 and 'regular' Ultimate in 110 and 120mm travel afaik. The SL has slimmer 'legs' and has less 'features' than the regular one (no DebonAir+ air spring for example, SL having less tire clearance and I think there's a few smaller ones like i.e no fender mounts on the SL etc).

If and how all that affects you / your experience is another question though.

See https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/rocksh ... evelopment & https://support.rockshox.com/hc/en-us/s ... SID-SID-SL and then obviously you can compare https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-sid-ufa-d1 vs https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-sids-ufa-d1.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

I finished my build using a comp as a racional choice from the budget perspective.

I couldn't wait longer for my frameset, which is probably stuck somewhere in Suez canal whatever. So i pulled the trigger on more rational option, to buy Comp, strip it down and use my part and build it. I done it today using.:

berg ratheberg 30 1165g + pirelli scorpion xc rc tan 2.4
fox transfer sl 100mm
roval control carbon cockpit 70x760mm
sram xx t-type with older bcd quarq spider
xpedo m-force 8 pedals
san marco shortfit superleggera
sram level ultimate stealth 4p
Attachments
IMG_1531.jpeg
Last edited by req110 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

qwertzuiop

by qwertzuiop

req110 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:07 pm
I finished my build using a comp as a racional choice from the budget perspective.
Was that an intentional pun? Really cool looking bike. My EVO 8 frame is supposed to arrive this friday. Looking forward to building it up. How heavy is your current build?

req110

by req110

With all the components on the picture it's 10.59kg.

Originally I ordered sworks epic frameset, but that stuck somewhere in suez canal.

So I decided to purchase comp and strip it down.

For the price difference between my comp (minus stock components) and sworks frameset, I can purchase a flight attendant upgrade kit.

maximostever

by maximostever

Thoughts on Epic 8 S-Works vs building up a S-Works Epic Evo frame with FA? wondering about real world differences from people that might know more about MTB geo than I.

qwertzuiop

by qwertzuiop

the EVO is the same fame as non S-works builds. You can flip the chip in either high or low position on both bikes. Differing gei changes result from this flip chip and the EVO full builds come specced with a 130mm fork. The frame itself is exactly the same

req110

by req110

I think maximo is trying to compare

- old epic evo frameset (now sworks are for sale like for 3100 EUR) >> this is good deal
- new epic sworks frameset

maximostever

by maximostever

Yes exactly
Old evo vs new non-evo

maximostever

by maximostever

Components held otherwise equal
(would be xx sl w/pm, berg 250 rims laced to tune hubs, axs, FA suspension)
significant differences other than the extra 10mm of travel on the new frame? HTA looks similar enough, STA little slacker, reach shorter, but nothing drastic

maximostever

by maximostever

Buying SW Epic 8 frameset seems like a pretty bad deal all things considered considering they don't come with FA which is the fun party trick
FA is a must, don't like dealing with lockouts at all

kgcx

by kgcx

Yeah, I am glad I cancelled my S-Works frame order when I realized FA wasn't coming with it. I feel like I am not missing out on much, I already prefer my Evo in the high setting for my local trails since they aren't over technical. Swat would be nice, but isn't worth the upgrade itself and the old Evo is at least the same weight if not lighter.

Ordered Flight Attendant the second it was launched on the website for my now previous gen Evo, ship date is late May according to my dealer.

I heard they are working on FA for the World Cup, which would be interesting.

hannawald

by hannawald

Is FA really handy for WC? It has only 2 lockout positions and is supposed to be very efficient so you don't need to work with lock that much...if they say it brings 2 percent advantage (funny marketing) to 120mm 3P bike, what would be the advantage for 2P position 75mm travel bike which basically doesn't know something like open mode?
kgcx wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm
Yeah, I am glad I cancelled my S-Works frame order when I realized FA wasn't coming with it. I feel like I am not missing out on much, I already prefer my Evo in the high setting for my local trails since they aren't over technical. Swat would be nice, but isn't worth the upgrade itself and the old Evo is at least the same weight if not lighter.

Ordered Flight Attendant the second it was launched on the website for my now previous gen Evo, ship date is late May according to my dealer.

I heard they are working on FA for the World Cup, which would be interesting.

kgcx

by kgcx

That is why I said it could be interesting.

I would assume the front fork would be the same 3 position setup, but there are a ton of directions they could go with the rear shock. I don't think it would be as simple as just a locked and open setting for the rear end.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Anything stopping one from buying the Epic 8 EVO Pro Frameset, flipping the chip, and installing a 120mm travel fork to make it a normal Epic?

Just thinking, I don't care much for the S-Works frameset (especially without FA), but would be interested in building up a standard frame with FA.