Pace RC31 with 44cm length

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ger

by ger

The new Pace RC31 carbon fork has a length of 44cm, which is just right for the newer hardtail frames. I have an older titanium hardtail which used to have a Marzocchi frontfork with 63mm travel and length of 43.25cm (without sag). I think with sag the lenght will be 42.5cm or so. Can I use the new Pace fork in this frame or will it mess up the geometry too much?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

ger, I think it will mess up your geometry. Try to get your hands on an older one.

Good luck
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cookie

by Cookie

Can I have a show of hand how many of you people are using rigid fork on your mtb?
What is your feedback and experience?
What do you of using titanium fork for road-riding style like me.

Intend to get one locally but the price tag on PACE RC31 is putting me off.
Hmm...anyone using PACE?

Thanks all!

Cookie

nikh

by nikh

Cookie wrote:Can I have a show of hand how many of you people are using rigid fork on your mtb?
Hmm...anyone using PACE?
Thanks all!
Cookie

Yes I am using a rigid fork.

I was using the Pace RC31 and very much enjoyed it.

Riding rigid is hard on the upper body for obvious reasons. I had a Pace RC31, XC 2.0 tire, carbon bar, Syntace F99 stem and pork rind grips so it was very harsh.

Most singlespeeders use a fat tire up front to cushion the ride some.

There was certainly no rest with the above set-up it was quite punishing!

I am now using a Surly steel rigid fork (due to a new bike) and it is of a different ride all together.

But its hard to compare like to like at the moment because the style and weight of the bike is completely different.

I will try and report back tomorrow after my ride.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

Cookie

by Cookie

Thanks nihk for your valuable input.

Intends to get a rigid fork soon coz just sold my RockShox SID team(2004) one week back.

Cookie

nikh wrote:
Cookie wrote:Can I have a show of hand how many of you people are using rigid fork on your mtb?
Hmm...anyone using PACE?
Thanks all!
Cookie

Yes I am using a rigid fork.

I was using the Pace RC31 and very much enjoyed it.

Riding rigid is hard on the upper body for obvious reasons. I had a Pace RC31, XC 2.0 tire, carbon bar, Syntace F99 stem and pork rind grips so it was very harsh.

Most singlespeeders use a fat tire up front to cushion the ride some.

There was certainly no rest with the above set-up it was quite punishing!

I am now using a Surly steel rigid fork (due to a new bike) and it is of a different ride all together.

But its hard to compare like to like at the moment because the style and weight of the bike is completely different.

I will try and report back tomorrow after my ride.

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

Cookie, i use rigid fork too. i use it in race. i agree with Nikh as There was certainly no rest with the above set-up it was quite punishing!. i ride steel rigid fork and aluminium fork. i feel steel is the best. im not sure about carbon. RIGID!RIGID!RIGID!hehehehe :twisted:
Crashman like crashing, feel the rythem and ride.

nikh

by nikh

Ok just got back from my early morning ride.

The Surly steel fork is a lot more comfortable than the Pace.

The Pace fork is really harsh in comparison.

I would look for a ti fork if you want light weight.

Try Spicer Cycles in the US or Magmaa in Sweden

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Nikh, there is an easy explaination for that. The surly's fork is what i think you call swept. It has a bend in it. The pace is made in the so called stiletto model. Therefore it will provide the rider with a more direct feel of the terrain.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

nikh

by nikh

That makes sense Frank, I don't like straight forks!!

I forgot Steinbach is worth looking at then for a swept fork and very light weight.

eurorider

by eurorider

i was thinking of getting a SID race but now i am wondering if i might be better off just buying a rigid fork for XC racing ...i also put lots of road kilometres on this bike

do you guys think alot of world cup riders would ride rigid if they had the choice?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

nikh wrote:I forgot Steinbach is worth looking at then for a swept fork and very light weight.

Nik please stay away from those forks, theire prone to breaking!

Eurorider wrote:i was thinking of getting a SID race but now i am wondering if i might be better off just buying a rigid fork for XC racing ...i also put lots of road kilometres on this bike

do you guys think alot of world cup riders would ride rigid if they had the choice?

To me it seems you are better of with a good rigid like kinesis or pace. Why involve the wc riders? You better follow your own mind!
A ridgid fork will improve your riding abilities. Because you cannot ust bump over obstacles. A suspension fork is nice when you live , or ride in the mountains.
I throwed my judy race in the back of the garage when i discovered how much it flexes. I ride cannondale p - bones now. Not the lightest, but cheap 2nd hand! Now i ride ridgid even in Houffalize (former wc host) without any problems! :D

eurorider

by eurorider

:lol: Judy Race ...well that's what's on my bike right now (the orange ones) and they gotta go...

i know having a rigid fork would make you choose your lines a little more carefully b/c you can't just plow through the rough stuff as easily but i just think it would be very interesting to hear honest opinions from wc riders on forks regardless of my riding abilities

alain

by alain

:D I have a Ti rigid fork from XCAD on my training bike and I am really happy with it. I ride on UST wheels and have a Schwalbe Black Jack UST 2.25 on the front wheel. With this setting and the Ti fork, the ride is perfect. I wouldn't go for the Pace. Expensive, fragile (guess what happens if it hits a rock) and it surely results in a rush ride. I tried to race (XC) with the rigid fork as well, but then you inevitably lose time in the fastest downhill parts ... but it is perfect for training and will last forever !

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

eurorider wrote::lol: Judy Race ...well that's what's on my bike right now (the orange ones)

ah, you own an OEM, mine was red, retail version. But then the paint started to lose on the lowers, so now i have white XC lowers. It's a wolf in sheeps clothing! :wink:

Why don't you feel free and email some riders. (don't, they probably won't give an honest answer!) :) Due to sponsership reasons.

A good, stiff, lockout equipped fork will give you some speed at decents, but at races here in holland i won't need shocks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ger

by ger

Hey Frankie, you should try the 590 gram Tita fork from Hilset