What pedals for a SR11 Scott ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jurkotomo

by jurkotomo

Hi guys,
Well, I don't want to sound picky (though I think I am), but I'm having problems picking pedals for my older Scott Addict R2 2010. I'll be replacing the Ultegra with either Chorus 11 or SR11. So far I've been using ultegra pedals, which are great; no bearing play, very durable and smooth. For my campy built I'm considering:

Shimano 7900 pedals - I won't put shimano on campy, sorry
Campagnolo pedals - old and heavy
Look Keo Blade - they have large bearing play (experienced it on Keo 2 Max carbon)
Speedplay - no rubber on the cleats (this is a big issue for me)
Time i-clic 2 carbon - I've heard the cleats don't last long and that there are many miss clip-ins

So, I've just named the biggest pedal companies. What's left ?

George

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Garmin and they you can have power. Too bad you will not be able to ride it till summer :cry:

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The Speedplay metal bottomed cleats, from my experience, are no more slippery when walking than standard plastic / rubber bumber cleats.

Other pedals:
-Keywin
-Ritchey
-Aerolite

But if you like the Shimano pedals (and they are kind of a benchmark) is there really a problem sticking with works best for you?

blcknspo0ln

by blcknspo0ln

bebops!

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Some pedals do more things than others; they have greater functionality and opportunity for adjustment.

tommasini

by tommasini

Regarding the Campy Pedals.......While it's a design that's been around awhile, they remain as solid performers - standing up much better to use than many of the "plastic" pedals. Solid axles and bearings (I've got two sets that are over 10 years old and no need ever to clean/regrease the bearings), durable aluminum body (takes crashes well) and topped with a steel wear plate......they are for instance on par with Dura Ace aluminum pedals and just a few grams more than the new Dura Ace carbons. UK prices can net some for $230 USD.

What I also like is the no float option (black cleats).......Some time ago I drank the "koolaid" of float some time ago and year by year issues with my leg/knee tracking got worse.......when I went back to fixed cleats (used to ride clip/strap pedals) the "stars" all aligned again - great power transfer and feeling of added security.
Last edited by tommasini on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Keywin! You won't regret it.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

In the time that I have had the Blades I have not had any bearing play. I would honestly consider giving them a shot, they are much improved over the 2 Max's. Have not heard of people having the issues with bears and overly tight seals like some experienced with the 2 Max's.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

The 7900 pedals are amazing. I ran Zeros for a number of years on our Campy bikes. Switched to DA7900 last year on my wife and my road bike.... won't look back now.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

jurkotomo wrote:Hi guys,
Well, I don't want to sound picky (though I think I am), but I'm having problems picking pedals for my older Scott Addict R2 2010. I'll be replacing the Ultegra with either Chorus 11 or SR11. So far I've been using ultegra pedals, which are great; no bearing play, very durable and smooth. For my campy built I'm considering:

Shimano 7900 pedals - I won't put shimano on campy, sorry

George

You have no problem putting Campag on a Scott but balk at using perfectly good pedals you have had no issues with? :noidea:

Didn't stop this guy

drchull

by drchull

I would also add Exustar to the list. Good weights, excellent prices, half what the comparable pedals on the list above would cost. They are making the vector pedals if they ever get released. I have a pair on order for my spare bike, have not tried them yet. Steel axel, 120 g each for $70 shipped. Ti axel is 88g each and run under $300 thats less than half the keo ti-blades (which BTW are currently half price on Nashbar if you want some).

davej35

by davej35

From my personal experience I would have sticked to old Time RXS Ulteam Ti pedals. They are fantastic, quite light at 182 gr/pair. Cleats last amazingly longer (have been using them for 6000 miles roughly) and no issues at all, easy to click without any foot play unlike DA's 7900.

ticou

by ticou

The only time I would ever consider putting shimano on a campag equipped bike is with the pedals, as I feel they are the world leader in durability. I still run spd pedals and I ride the A600, light enough at 280g's. I don't put carbon down there, and I like to walk around as well.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

People actually use pedals where in order to increse Q Factor you have to fit a washer onto the pedal axle to give extra clearance. Utter crap.

ticou

by ticou

I agree Valbona, which is why I ride campag chorus, with it's unrivalled q factor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com