Which Cross Bikes for a Road Racer Getting into Cross

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

USofChay

by USofChay

Hi,

I'm a 167 pound, 6'1.5" road racer who has been racing for three years. I ride a BMC promachine and love it. I've never raced cross before but I am looking to start next season. I can get a good deal on Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Scott, and Colnago, bicycles. I'm not looking to spend over $5,000 retail and any advice you can give to a cross newb on bike selection would be appreciated.

Thanks,
USofChay

Peter_E

by Peter_E

Of the bikes you list I have only ridden the Scott. I have an Addict CX RC and can really recommend it. I'm a roadie like you and Scott use a geo that is pretty road like with low bb. In theory Scott should be less good in mud because they route der cable under the bb but in practice I have never had any problems with shifting. If you live in a super muddy area maybe this might be an issue though.
The Addict CX frames are really light and a good starting point for a light cross bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5shot

by 5shot

If I had that kind of money to spend on a cross bike, I'd go for a Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie with whatever top-shelf gruppo you like and some nice carbon tubulars... and FMB or Dugast tires.

I have a Van Dessel Gin and Trombones which shares its geometry with the FTB. It has to be the quickest handling bike I've ever owned and yet, it is both stiff when I accelerate and soaks up the rough stuff.

Here is a link to the Van Dessel website:http://www.vandesselsports.com/?page_id=13

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Buy whatever fits, then spend the extra money on some FMB or Dugasts. You won't be disappointed

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

5000? get two....cheap alloy frames decent tubs and ultegra or equivelant groupset
Bruce

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

4crosswheels wrote:5000? get two....cheap alloy frames decent tubs and ultegra or equivelant groupset
Bruce

This!

Seriously, grab 2 Specialized Crux framesets ($700 each), a couple rival kits, and some wheels with FMB tires.

The best wheelsets you can buy are ones that you can afford at least two of, and that goes for frames as well.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I agree with Briscoelab. I have a Crux and like it a lot. The one cross race I have done, I felt that the bike did really well. For the price of the frameset, you can't go wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com