Need Help Installing BTP Shifter Clamps

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I am trying to install some BTP shifter clamps on my 3T Ergonova and I have 2 concerns:

I didn't realize when purchasing, but the BTP clamps do not actually clamp... they are just carbon rings. How do they hold onto the bars?
Seems that if I'm able to weasel them into position, they will be able to move just as easily once I ride with them.

I can get them on the bar up until the bend where the glossy finish on the bars becomes a coarse matte finish (to give the hoods better grip).
I tried soaking in hot water for a few seconds but it didn't help. (Note: I am only installing the clamps on the bars, without mounting the levers to the clamps)
Should I try to file/dremel the carbon to increase the diameter?
Of course, I don't want to compromise their ability to hold... assuming they can.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Use carbon paste on the bars and tighten 3-4 nm using torque wrench

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

Remove the smallest amount of material form the edges (inside) of the back only (i.e. dirctly opposite the bolt but on the edge of the carbon band (2 bits, one "upper one lower"). They will grip just fine when tightened. USE A TORQUE WRENCH and build paste.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I can vouch for the recommendation from theremery, which matches what I got from Bernhard at BTP. It doesn't take much material to be removed to get the clamps to slide into place. Go slow.

I'm also totally confused as to how shifter clamps work! Instead of figuring it out when I got my BTP units, I just trust that they work (plus the fact that DA7800/7900 clamp pics online clearly show that they don't squeeze the bar when sliding them into place either). I was giving myself quite the headache. Ha ha.

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

Hi.

the clamp is basicly a holder for the thread, when you do the hex nut up inside the lever it pulls the lever body towards the bar clamping it, the more you tighten it the more it will grip the bar.

mathi

by mathi

Mine have been bombproof, always heated up in hotwater before installation 8)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I didn't realize when purchasing, but the BTP clamps do not actually clamp... they are just carbon rings. How do they hold onto the bars?
Seems that if I'm able to weasel them into position, they will be able to move just as easily once I ride with them.

They actually do clamp.
See bikejunkie's message.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Hi!
sorry to dig up the topic ...

I acquired BTP clamps but they just do not fix on the handlebars (new Ritchey Superlogic Logic II). I tightened the nut until the end and the Ergopower yet stayed with clearance. What i do? :noidea:

(my english is bad but from what I understand the problem of friend is the opposite of mine)

Thanks!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I had the same ritchey bars for 2 years and they clamped no problem. Did you use carbon paste? Only difference is I was using sram shifters although I don't see how that could be much of a difference.
Speedplay is the devil!

danbjpa

by danbjpa

hmm... i have not used paste. i only put clamps in the bar (which entered easily even in curves) and i tighten the ergos. I didn't imagine which the paste would a big 'graft' (seemed too loose to the paste resolve) thought there would not stay 'firm and strong' on the bars and any lateral little blow would move (thought graft with bartape piece - but i didn't feel safe and this add few grams. lol)
I confess that didn't have thought about it, and i had no paste at moment :oops: . I used the original campy clamps but when I change the tape, i'll try puts them (BTP clamps) with paste. hope works good.

Thanks for the support!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

If the original Campa clamps work fine on this bar then so should the BTP ones.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com