Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Ducati2

by Ducati2

It is by far the heaviest bike I have owned in years and came in at 19.7 lbs! It is built with Super Record 11 shifters, Record 11 derailluers, Nucleon wheels, nos Delta brakes, and Deda stem, post, bars. I could knock off a couple pounds if I switched out the fork, cranks, and brakes but that wasn't the purpose of this bike.
Attachments
mastersaronni.jpg

tochnics

by tochnics

still looks very classic ducati
must ride like a dream i geus

here is my daily steel commuter a classic concorde with new parts
no jokes about garden that needs trimming please :P

its a 9,8 kilo steel ride, usualy fitted with xblades , a rear rack,lights and a polar
the frame weight is 2,4 kilo and well over 15 years old
its pretty stiff, but still comfy enough for me
groupset is rival with force shifter and rear mech
the wheels are mavic open pro with Da7800 hubs and DT champion spokes with schwalbe durano tires
headset is a 105 converted to headset with a pro plt stem and a specialized bar and saddle

a compact rival crank with a TA 39T inner chainring with dura ace 7810 pedals
front mech will be fitted soon when i have a small front mech clamp ordert

Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Just want to say that the Derosa Primato in the start of this thread, is i think the most beautyfull looking bike i have ever seen, wow i wish it was mine, i just have to build something like it.

old codger

by old codger

How do i attach a picture ??

Cheers.

Wildabeast

by Wildabeast

Here is my Specialized S-Works Steel frame from 1993 (I think). Its my understanding they are very rare. I have only seen 5 in my life. I managed to find this frame NOS at a bike shop, on clearance. Its currently built using Sun Tour XC Pro 8spd, Pauls brake levers, Grafton cantis, Action-Tec Ti bb, early Mag21 forks, an S-Works Thermoplastic bar with a set of Titec mag 99 bar ends. The cranks are Cook Bros E2 prototypes (I used to do product testing for Cook Bros). It also sports a Sach 8spd freewheel. The seat and seat post need to go away in favor of a Syncros and a San Marco Concor Lite saddle. Its got a Chris King headset as well. I have the original S-works fork for it sitting in my bedroom.

The blue tape was just holding the front derailleur cable in place. I was waiting for my XC Pro one to show up.

Its kinda cool.

Will
Attachments
P1020580.jpg
P1020578.jpg
P1020577.jpg
I can't ride that, I'll break it...

tochnics

by tochnics

thats a cool bike wildabeast 8)
and did u brake the frame or is it still going strong :?:
yours make me feel bad selling my old mtb with roox parts,marzochi xc700 fork and tires with a fleshy kind of colour
sure it is surpassed by cheap modern bikes but the oldies look so cool
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

Wildabeast

by Wildabeast

The S-works is still good to go. I rode it as a single speed for few years, but I finally managed to find a Sun Tour XC Pro group. Shifters and f.d. are NOS. The wheels are White industrys hubs laced to WTB rims. I also have a pretty cool Ti TNT hub laced to a Bontranger BCX1 rim with revolution spokes and alloy nipples for it as soon as I get around to tensioning the wheel. Its all built, but I have been busy with other stuff. I also have a set of Ritchey WCS cranks that are period correct that I picked up NOS as well. I need to find a middle ring for them however. (I run 110/74 on all my other cranks, that one happens to be a 94/58. :roll: )

I also have a Barracuda steel mtn frame waiting to be built up as a single speed, but I need a fork. That one should be pretty cool as well. I have a set of Kooka brake levers for it, a set of M900 XTR cranks, an old school 103mm Dura Ace bb, Syncros seatpost, bar and stem. Don't know what I will do for brakes.

Will
I can't ride that, I'll break it...

skimons

by skimons

this is mine. 8,4 kg. nice ride, smooth looking, super direct steering

ww4

by ww4

sweet steel, classy build, I like it :wink:

QuattroAssini

by QuattroAssini

Well, I better add my own to this batch of great looking ferrous rides.

There is a thread on it here.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hlight=p21

Ritchey P-21 frame - custom repaint with stock sticker set
Cook E-Cranks with Real Chainrings
Ritchey Ti bottom bracket
Sram-Gripshift 9.0 (the original/first high end mtb set they sold)
XTR brake levers
Avid 2.0 V-brakes
Ritchey stem over a Ritchey fuzzy logic headset
Vetta seat atop an American Classic post
Manitou FS fork (Converted to 1" threadless)
Bontrager tubeless Racelite wheelset
XTR cassette
Bontrager Jones tires

I'm too heavy for this frame, but it feels like an old pair of jeans when I 'pull it on'. [/img]
Last edited by QuattroAssini on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

These are my classic road bikes. The Batavus Competition and Gazelle AB were bikes I owned in the late 1970's, early 1980's. I ran into similar bikes some time ago and couldn't resist...

The Batavus was my first 'real' racing bike (i.e. without fenders). I owned an ivory one like this first and later an orange one with Shimano 600 'Arabesque' components.

The Peugeot PY10 was in the 1978 and 1979 Peugeot brochure and this had been a long time favorite of mine. My parents promised me the bike for my 16th birthday if I wouldn't start riding a moped. When I became 16, the choice was between the PY10 and the Campagnolo Nuovo Record equipped Gazelle. I went for the Gazelle, mainly because of its compatibility with modern components. Never regretted that decision but it is nice to own an original PY10 after all these years anyways...

The team Skala Gazelle was one of my favorite frames of that era but back then I bought a C-Record Merckx Corsa Extra, nearly identical to this one in the brochure.

After the Merckx came another Gazelle, an AA-Special, Brussels blue with Shimano Dura Ace 7400/7410, including the first STI's.

The Démax was my main bike up to 2005 when I switched from steel to carbon. The best steel frame I've ridden, very stiff bottom bracket and good torsional rigidity. I recently rebuilt it with some Record 10-speed parts and it is now my wet weather bike, still a great ride!

Batavus Competition - 1977
Ishiwata 022 tubing. 1th generation Shimano 600, fully original down to the Vredestein Sprint Vederlicht tyres.

Image Image Image

Peugeot PY10EC - 1978
Reynolds 531. Full 'Spidel' group: Simplex Super LJ derailleurs including the 175 gram Delrin/alloy rear derailleur, Mafac Competition centrepull brakes, Stronglight 105 bis crankset and Maillard 700 hubs and pedals. The groupset was completed with a french Laprade brand seatpost, Ideale 2002 saddle and Philippe Professionnel handlebars and stem.

Image Image Image Image Image

Gazelle Champion Mondial AB - 1983
Gazelle team colours. Reynolds 531. Mix of Campagnolo Nuovo Record & Super Record as common in the 1980's. First version of the Selle Italia Turbo saddle.

Image Image Image

Gazelle Champion Mondial AA-Special - 1984
Reynolds 531. Skala team version; different decals and fork than a 'normal' AA-special. First generation (stamped logo) Campagnolo ‘180’ Record Corsa. Selle Italia Turbo SLG alloy rail saddle.

Image Image Image

Gazelle Démax - 1999
Reynolds 531 Trapezium (tapered). Campagnolo Record 10-speed. Custom rear brake cable guides and Gazelle/Time Club carbon fork.

Image Image

My plastic bike is here
Last edited by Gazelleer on Mon May 30, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 29 times in total.

skimons

by skimons

jvs wrote:My plastic bike is here

hehe, plastic it is! nice stable, especially the AA-special! cool 8)

weenie #2533

by weenie #2533

Dude I love the wheels on 1983 and 1985 !!

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Thanks!
The 1983 has Campagnolo Record hubs, Mavic MA40 rims and Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX's. I am trying to get some nice Mavic G40 wheels for it.
The 1985 has Campagnolo C-Record hubs, GP4 rims and some NOS Vittoria Nuovo Pro 260 tubes I've had hanging around for 20 years. :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

The BingMan

by The BingMan

Gazelle Champion Mondial AA-Special - 1985
Reynolds 531. Skala team version; different decals and fork than a 'normal' AA-special. First generation (engraved logo) Campagnolo ‘180’ Record Corsa.

This one would I like to have. It is very nice. Just love it... :)
The BingMan "I don't drive fast, I fly low"