Best and Lightest Skewers (again_)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ridley86

by ridley86

jep , i USE them as well. Not that light but with a ti axle verry solid.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

thanks for all the answers, what is the difference between an aluminum axle and a titanium axle for those who mentioned it? wouldn't a Ti skewer be a bit more flexy-bendy?

and whats up with QR's that don;t have springs? i saw that on a few and wondered if they'd just left them off in the pic.

paulj1944

by paulj1944

gitsome wrote:thanks for all the answers, what is the difference between an aluminum axle and a titanium axle for those who mentioned it? wouldn't a Ti skewer be a bit more flexy-bendy?

Ti is a stronger and more robust than aluminium and I for one would not trust an aluminium axled skewer but YMMV :)

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

Johnny Rad wrote:Nobody running the M2Racer QRs anymore?!

Did they or do they wear out?!

Sorry OT but...

In my case, they're still in my arsenal of light parts and will be used again. I just wanted to try something with more color.

I had at one time 4 pairs of original M2s (sold 1 to a friend) and have the first generation with smaller washers and nuts. The remaining 3 are still in very good operating condition. A little wear around the cam section but not much--the usual you'd expect from normal use. (I don't regularly remove my front wheel, the usual place to expect skewer wear. I have a rear bike rack, tray type so no need for wheel removal.)

M2 skewers like most Ti skewers do stretch with use but I don't think you can call that wear. Regular inspection of skewers tightness is a good idea. If the lever feels too easy to lift, apply more the clamp force by tightening the skewer. Of course within reason. :wink: I'd hate to snap a skewer mid ride that can be disastrous.

The M2s will be on my spare skewers for my other wheelsets so in a way they're still in use although not in active use.

mythical

by mythical

i actually managed to unthread one of those USE SpinStix at the lever! not a pretty sight... :roll:

otherwise SpinStix are great! i used to have M2Racers i now run KCNC, am getting Parts of Passion shortly. I've had Ringlé Twisters a long time age, i really liked those :)

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

mythical wrote:i actually managed to unthread one of those USE SpinStix at the lever! not a pretty sight... :roll:

otherwise SpinStix are great! i used to have M2Racers i now run KCNC, am getting Parts of Passion shortly. I've had Ringlé Twisters a long time age, i really liked those :)

My first lightweight skewers were SpinStix too...I thought they were very good but then came along the lighter M2s. I still have the Stix which are literally holding up a wheelset in my unbuilt LOOK frame. :?

I thought CarbonTi was coming out with the Parts of Passion? Interesting name for skewers btw. POP skewers.

ecl2k

by ecl2k

I actually swear by control tech titanium race skewers, 50g for the pair

used them for several years without fault, first on my MTB and now on my cross bike, and I'm near 200 pounds.

mythical

by mythical

XL_Carbon wrote:I thought CarbonTi was coming out with the Parts of Passion? Interesting name for skewers btw. POP skewers.

There's an explanation for this. Both skewers look identical but are in fact not. The difference is in the rods. Parts of Passion use aluminium rods up front, titanium in the rear (road version, 31g claimed), Carbon-Ti uses aluminium rods on both ends (hence the 26g weight).

It shouldn't come as a surprise that, for me at least, the Parts of Passion are the sensible choice in terms of safety. From what I'm told, the PoP skewers are the first skewers to ever receive CE qualification.

There's a bit of a quarrel between both parties and there seems to be a lot of debating but I don't wanna pick sides so I ordered both. I'll post an update once received...

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 for Albert Bold: http://www.boldprecision.com/

gitsome

by gitsome

Kraaf

by Kraaf

Couple of hundred Km on the KCNC skewers, which came in at 43g. I like 'em so far. Plenty of travel in the cam, no fidgeting with the bolt to get it just right. Just put them in the wheel quickly; if you hold them in your hand for too long, you're gonna doubt they could actually work.
I love you guys. Seriously.

djconnel

by djconnel

I love my KCNC skewers. Easy to get wheels on and off, and no problems so far keeping them tight. 45.7 grams for the pair, they look good, and may even be less aerodynamic drag than most levers (untested). Every bit helps.

NS

by NS

Yes, I have a pair for sale. I have less wheels than skewers these days

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com