Chris King Bottom Bracket and Rotor 3D Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jizzling

by jizzling

Anyone running this combo? I'm curious on how many (if any) of the 2.5mm spacers were needed with the rotor 3D Cranks.

I'm running the Chris King BB and SRAM Red Cranks (standard English not BB30) with the GXP kit adapters/spacers right now so I'm not using any of the 2.5mm spacers between the BB Cups and the frame. I'm curious what I'll need to move to the rotor 3D setup.

BTW, I already checked with a few reputable shops about using the same cups/bearings from the GXP to the standard setup and they all seemed to think it would be fine. Just a matter of figuring out the spacers (if any). Far as I can tell the only difference in the BB's is the adapter kit which contains a spring washer, normal washer, adapter sleeve for the NDS spindle and some shims. The cups seem to be the same for all road versions.

Just curious if anyone had any experience with this.

Thanks!!

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

if it's a road crank, you use no spacers.
the spacers are to take up space on mountain bike frames, to account for the difference between a 68mm shell width and a 73mm shell (which is never used on road bikes), and whether you are using an e-mount front derailleur (not on road bikes either).
you don't have to worry about any of that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jizzling

by jizzling

thisisatest wrote:if it's a road crank, you use no spacers.
the spacers are to take up space on mountain bike frames, to account for the difference between a 68mm shell width and a 73mm shell (which is never used on road bikes), and whether you are using an e-mount front derailleur (not on road bikes either).
you don't have to worry about any of that.

That's what I was thinking too but the installation instructions seem to indicate you might need the spacers even with a road setup and so did the guy I talked to at Competitivecyclist.com.

We'll see when it gets here but I'm betting it doesn't need the spacers.

LardLover

by LardLover

I'm using this exact set up, NO spacers behind the BB.
Schnice :cool:

jizzling

by jizzling

LardLover wrote:I'm using this exact set up, NO spacers behind the BB.

:thumbup: Thanks!!

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Kind of old and sorry to bring this back up.
I'm running a Chris King BB with Rotor 24mm 3D cranks on my cross bike. The non drive side keeps coming loose.
If I tighten it somewhat tight w/o torque wrench, the cranks bind to where they hardly spin a full rotation.
Is this normal? Do I need those CK bb spacers? I wish Rotor made Bottom Brackets in Mango!

Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

crohnsy

by crohnsy

If your arm is coming loose then you haven't installed correctly... You must not be torquing your pinch bolt to the required specs. The preload bolt should be over torqued and binding.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Thanks. I have a Park Tools stand and a plethora of tools, minus a torque wrench.
I think it's time to invest in one.
Thanks for the advice.
I won these cranks on ebay and they didn't come with the stock detailed instructions.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

barsook77

by barsook77

Yep ...torque wrenches help when bearing down on $7000. framesets!!! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com