Zipp 404 replacement rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spud

by spud

Gents,

I've got an old broken Zipp 404 tubular rim on their old Zipp hubs (circa 2005). While the hub functions well, I don't think it is super robust, and I'd like to find a carbon clincher that would be close enough in ERD to replace the rim without replacing spokes (i.e relacing hub to a different rim). Any suggestions for possible substitutes? I need something with 20 holes for the rear.

Thanks.

spud

by spud

partially answering my own question, Zipp's archive indicates an ERD of 525. Plugged that into a google search, and came up with Focus Carbon technology - they mfg a 60 mm clincher rim, 24 mm wide, that has the same ERD. Anyone have experience with these rims, or this mfg?

thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

How "broken" is the rim? Beyond repair? Why not just replace with a Firecrest 404?

spud

by spud

1) rim is well broken- multiple cracks in the brake track, and a large chunk of the tire bed came off when I removed the tubi
2) I've never been really impressed with the stiffness of the 20 spoke rear wheel
3) after problems with prior Zipp hubs, and indications that the new ones suffer issues, I'm not THAT confident this is the greatest hub in the world

Combining 2 & 3, I don't want to drop the $ for a Firecrest rim. I'm looking to put on a relatively inexpensive clincher rim that will allow me to use the old spokes so that I can get this done for even less $. If I can find the right rim for $200, that makes this an easy transition.

Cyberduc748

by Cyberduc748

Spud,

Did you find an alternative rim? I'm also looking for one.

spud

by spud

yes, I've ordered a 2014 Far Sports 60mm 23mm wide clincher rim. It builds with nipple washers and has an identical ERD to the old Zipp rim. I have not yet received the rim, having done so I will revisit this thread with any comments on rim quality etc.

austke

by austke

Not really experienced in this field. But I have read heaps in the wheel building thread. That you shouldn't reuse your spokes?
So at the very least, I would think that maybe some of your old spokes may not build up again. So might be wise to have to have a source for some new spokes. Just in case.
Just thinking aloud. But I would not use old spokes for a fast bike, long distance bike or front wheel build. I do confess I used old spokes for my old triple tandem. That is slow, was a back wheel rebuild. ( replaced rear hub). And never goes far. And it has nice big beefy spokes too. And I really didn't want the rear wheel build to cost me as much as the whole bike cost me in the first place. :)
I did have to replace about 12? Of the spokes/ nipples with new ones though.
It was the first wheel build I had done in a good decade too. So was a little sketchy at first. Probably busted a spoke or two through clumsiness.
But it has only needed the odd spoke tweak in the last 4000km. So has payed for itself as far as I am concerned.
Cheers Austke
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

spud

by spud

you may be right, but my view is that what kills spokes is fatigue, brought on by many cycles of tension/detension. Spokes start failing when the wheel has been ridden too long, or when some spokes get loose and the wheel continues to be ridden. Loose spokes go through a much bigger strain change, which causes greater fatigue.

In any case, I doubt the wheel has much more than 3000 miles on it, since they were race day only wheels. We'll see...

Slagter

by Slagter

mellowJohnny wrote:How "broken" is the rim? Beyond repair? Why not just replace with a Firecrest 404?

Is it even possible to buy just the firecrest rims?

Does anyone have links to where to buy them?

Getter

by Getter

I think wheelbuilder.com sells them individually.

Slagter

by Slagter

Thanks for your reply Getter. But I checked that out before asking, and according to their website:

The Zipp 404 Firecrest (X58) clincher rim is not offered for individual sale. Wheelbuilder can customize your Zipp 404 Firecrest (X58) rim with your choice of hub, spokes, and nipples.

Slagter

by Slagter

Slagter wrote:
Does anyone have links to where to buy Zipp 404 replacement rims?

Since there has been no suggestions, I guess it´s not possible to buy the rims separately...

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I suppose you have the hub. Ship it to wheelbuilder.com and ask them to lace it to the rim. I am not sure if you could reuse spokes and nipples though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slagter

by Slagter

Actually I don´t.

I´m in the market to build a high-end wheel set and looking for options. I haven´t decided on hubs jet. But in terms of rims, Zipp is def. on my list.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

That's exactly what I did. I wanted Zipp 303 tubulars with Alchemy hubs, but since they are not available for some time now, I purchased Tune hubs from Starbike and sent them to wb. In the end, it got slightly more expensive than buying a Zipp wheelset, but I did not want to use their hubs (even the new v9)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk