CLA

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rustychain

by rustychain

CLA or conjugated linoleic acid is supposed to help you reduce body fat and help with muscle retention and it seems to work as I dropped 2% body fat. I just wanted to pass on this warning to those that may use this stuff that is not on the label. It raised my cholestoral 42 points! I did some digging and found that this is common :( TALK TO YOUR DR. BEFORE YOU TAKE ANYTHING Thanks ........end rant

John979

by John979

rustychain wrote:CLA or conjugated linoleic acid is supposed to help you reduce body fat and help with muscle retention and it seems to work as I dropped 2% body fat. I just wanted to pass on this warning to those that may use this stuff that is not on the label. It raised my cholestoral 42 points! I did some digging and found that this is common :( TALK TO YOUR DR. BEFORE YOU TAKE ANYTHING Thanks ........end rant

Thank you for the warning. I will reseach this more and also see what Thursday's doctor's visit finds.
John979

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

big fellow

by big fellow

wow that's some serious side effect!!!!!

good warning post....

TunedCannondaleR700

by TunedCannondaleR700

Wow 42 points, thats huge, how long were you taking this?
Cannondale is quite simply the best

rustychain

by rustychain

I was using it over 4 months. The dosage on the bottle said one capsule with each meal but sometimes I would forget. It seems this stuff takes the fat from your belly and puts it into your blood stream. :shock: To be fair my family history does show some high cholestoral but I was never close to this high. I eat fairly well, avoiding red meat and such. I ride 100 to 200 miles a week. It may effect other people differently but as I would see a Dr. and check my cholestoral often if taking this stuff.

John979

by John979

rustychain wrote:I was using it over 4 months. The dosage on the bottle said one capsule with each meal but sometimes I would forget. It seems this stuff takes the fat from your belly and puts it into your blood stream. :shock: To be fair my family history does show some high cholestoral but I was never close to this high. I eat fairly well, avoiding red meat and such. I ride 100 to 200 miles a week. It may effect other people differently but as I would see a Dr. and check my cholestoral often if taking this stuff.

The studies I have read so far are pretty promising and indicate several positive uses for CLA. I had a complete physical today and will see what the blood tests reveal as I have no history of high cholestoral and I am in good health. It was funny to see the doctors reaction to my heart rate, as sitting in his office it was 48 and this freaked him out and he made me get an EKG.
John979

rustychain

by rustychain

I also have had that reaction to my heart rate (also 48) The nurse was upset and had the Dr. retake my pulse and bloodpressure. He then gave me a stress test.
I have read all the stuff on CLA. Most of it says good things and my trainer/ coach suggested I take Zocor with the CLA to counter the side effects but I think its better just to stop taking this stuff. Its not worth the risk IMO. As I said before, have your Dr. keep an eye on your bloodwork. Check back in a couple of months and let us know how it works for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rockymtnway

by rockymtnway

rustychain wrote:I was using it over 4 months. The dosage on the bottle said one capsule with each meal but sometimes I would forget. It seems this stuff takes the fat from your belly and puts it into your blood stream. :shock: To be fair my family history does show some high cholestoral but I was never close to this high. I eat fairly well, avoiding red meat and such. I ride 100 to 200 miles a week. It may effect other people differently but as I would see a Dr. and check my cholestoral often if taking this stuff.

Thanks for the original posting and follow up. It has me thinking about the homeopathic CholestOff I started taking last week. Since starting, I've put on three pounds for no reason at all (same amount of food intake and number of hours working out). I'm starting to wonder if it has the opposite effect of the CLA and takes the fat out of your blood and puts it on your body.

Could also be that I'm not tracking the holiday cookies very well, too. :oops:
2001 Bianchi SL-2 Reparto Corse
2006 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70
2006 Scott Genius RC-LTD
2007 Rocky Mountain Element 70