Tufo XC2 vs. XC4

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I recently scored a pair of new DT Swiss XRC 950Ts for my 29er.

I'm very familiar with tubular tires on road bikes, racing on them almost exclusively. Tufos were something to be scorned on the road because they had relatively high rolling resistance, compared to their counterparts.

However, it seems like they have a very good reputation for off-road use. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both the XC2 Plus and the XC4; they are the two tires that look most applicable towards my riding/racing.

I'm mainly interested in knowing how they compare in terms of lateral grip; the weight isn't a huge concern. I like the idea of the XC4, as it's a 2.2, particularly on some of the rougher terrain we have around here.

Some basic info about me: 145lbs, HT 29er, "pro" MTB racer, riding on east coast US trails that could pass for DH in some areas. These will be used for XC races and time trials in generally dry to tacky conditions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stephenjames

by stephenjames

Hello there, I have used both and also the dugast fast bird:

Tufo XC2 - Very low weight and good rolling resistance but I never was fully confident in the edge tread grip and also the performance on roots. Tried low pressure for roots but this did not help the problem all that much. Maybe good for low tech courses where low weight is good, or if you are a tech/skills god!

Tufo XC4 - Very good volume and much better on roots. Slower rolling especially on loamy or draggy surfaces but much better on hard surfaces. The tread and volume suits very well to hard pack rocky courses.

Dugasts - Beautiful in every respect but of course quite fragile! Ride, rolling resistance and edge tread grip all very good indeed.

I will soon be selling all my tubular wheels and tyres as I am no longer racing top level UCI XC. Legs getting too old and our baby too tiring! So, tubular not so suited to enduro and 24hr team races that I now compete more in.

Hope that helps you.

Steve

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Thanks for the reply!

I ordered the XC4s, because I'll be racing on the east coast of the US. Rocks and roots galore.

It's been a few years and a trip to AFG since my last race, but I'm hoping to get back to racing as soon as possibe! These wheels are a treat to myself, more than anything.

-Andy

stephenjames

by stephenjames

No problem, good choice I think!