hill simulation.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hucklesby

by hucklesby

where i live there are no hills longer than 2 to 3 minutes. would putting the front wheel of my turbo up 10-15 cm be good training for longer hills if i did 20 min hard intervals? or would traveling to longer hills be more beneficial? often when i travel to races hills are much longer than what i train on.

Tippster

by Tippster

have you considered riding into the wind?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hucklesby

by hucklesby

but its not always going to be windy when you want to do a hill session!

TheBigBlueGiant

by TheBigBlueGiant

hucklesby wrote:where i live there are no hills longer than 2 to 3 minutes. would putting the front wheel of my turbo up 10-15 cm be good training for longer hills if i did 20 min hard intervals? or would traveling to longer hills be more beneficial? often when i travel to races hills are much longer than what i train on.

Yes, it will help. You will be putting your body into the same/similar position to when you climb on the road. Up the intensity and you're away.

MattC

by MattC

I have the same problem with the hills near me being a couple of minutes max. I don't find that you can anywhere near simulate a hill on a turbo, even proping up the front wheel. The best thing I find is to go and ride big hills elsewhere.

John979

by John979

Grade does not really affect muscle activiation:

Muscle coordination in cycling: effect of surface incline and posture
Li Li and Graham E. Caldwell
Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Exercise Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003

The purpose of the present study was to examine the neuromuscular modifications of cyclists to changes in grade and posture. Eight subjects were tested on a computerized ergometer under three conditions with the same work rate (250 W): pedaling on the level while seated, 8% uphill while seated, and 8% uphill while standing (ST). High-speed video was taken in conjunction with surface electromyography (EMG) of six lower extremity muscles. Results showed that rectus femoris, gluteus maximus (GM), and tibialis anterior had greater EMG magnitude in the ST condition. GM, rectus femoris, and the vastus lateralis demonstrated activity over a greater portion of the crank cycle in the ST condition. The muscle activities of gastrocnemius and biceps femoris did not exhibit profound differences among conditions. Overall, the change of cycling grade alone from 0 to 8% did not induce a significant change in neuromuscular coordination. However, the postural change from seated to ST pedaling at 8% uphill grade was accompanied by increased and/or prolonged muscle activity of hip and knee extensors. The observed EMG activity patterns were discussed with respect to lower extremity joint moments. Monoarticular extensor muscles (GM, vastus lateralis) demonstrated greater modifications in activity patterns with the change in posture compared with their biarticular counterparts. Furthermore, muscle coordination among antagonist pairs of mono- and biarticular muscles was altered in the ST condition; this finding provides support for the notion that muscles within these antagonist pairs have different functions.

Find a flat road where you can ride uninterrupted and hammer.
John979

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

For the winter...buy a i-magic from tacx and upload some Alp D Huez or something and freak out ^^.

MattC

by MattC

HäddaFahn wrote:For the winter...buy a i-magic from tacx and upload some Alp D Huez or something and freak out ^^.

It's not the same though is it?

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

MattC wrote:
HäddaFahn wrote:For the winter...buy a i-magic from tacx and upload some Alp D Huez or something and freak out ^^.

Riding inside is never the same, but the i-magic will make you push as many watts as riding up Alpe D'huez.
Of course, if you've ridden up a hill with a powermeter, you know how many watts it takes to climb and you can repeat the effort elsewhere.

John979

by John979

GonaSovereign wrote:
MattC wrote:

Riding inside is never the same, but the i-magic will make you push as many watts as riding up Alpe D'huez.
Of course, if you've ridden up a hill with a powermeter, you know how many watts it takes to climb and you can repeat the effort elsewhere.

One does not need a power meter to know how many watts it takes to go up a hill, as there are many predictors available that are quite accurate.
John979

MattC

by MattC

John979 wrote:
GonaSovereign wrote:
MattC wrote:

One does not need a power meter to know how many watts it takes to go up a hill, as there are many predictors available that are quite accurate.

You can tell can you how many watts you're putting out riding up a climb without a power meter? Have you actually looked to see how much your power changes up a climb, or used a power meter for pacing up a climb such as Alp d'Huez?

Variations in gradient on a climb mess up your power, as does gear selection. Wind is a variable that you cannot accurately predict while moving up a climb.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

John979

by John979

MattC wrote:
John979 wrote:
GonaSovereign wrote:
MattC wrote:

You can tell can you how many watts you're putting out riding up a climb without a power meter? Have you actually looked to see how much your power changes up a climb, or used a power meter for pacing up a climb such as Alp d'Huez?

Variations in gradient on a climb mess up your power, as does gear selection. Wind is a variable that you cannot accurately predict while moving up a climb.

Actually, I recently returned from riding in the Alps, with of course a power meter...

While its obvious changes in grade do affect your instantaneous power, its quite possible to target an average power and come very close to it over the course of a climb. OTOH, adjust your smoothing for less variation...
John979