Anyone use a muscle oxygen sensor monitor?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

Anyone on here use a MOXY or a BSX Insight muscle oxygen sensor monitor? Are you happy with them and do you think they are worth the money?

For those of you that don't know what a muscle oxygen sensor monitor is, you can read more about them here:

https://athletictimemachine.com/2015/12 ... en-sensor/

The short is that these ANT devices use near-infrared wavelength spectrum to measure muscle oxygenation levels in muscle tissue. "Human tissue has low optical absorbance of near-infrared light, so the light can travel to reasonable depths. The near-infrared wavelength range is particularly useful because hemoglobin and myoglobin change color in that range depending on whether or not they are carrying oxygen."
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I use the bsx on occasion .. when I look at the graphs they make sense to me. The most telling thing for me is it told me pretty much I need to warm up and how long it takes me to warm up.
I got mine fairly cheap.. so for me worth it. I'm also on kickstarter for their hydration monitor which I have way more interest in.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btothec

by btothec

spdntrxi wrote:I use the bsx on occasion .. when I look at the graphs they make sense to me. The most telling thing for me is it told me pretty much I need to warm up and how long it takes me to warm up.
I got mine fairly cheap.. so for me worth it. I'm also on kickstarter for their hydration monitor which I have way more interest in.

I also signed up for their hydration monitor on kickstarter. Hopefully they come around with out too many delays. I've always wondered about oxygen sensors and if they're worth the investment. I'm a big fan of gadgets so I'm sure I'll end up with one at some stage.

https://humon.io/index.html
This one keeps popping up in my facebook feed over recent weeks.

53x12

by 53x12

spdntrxi wrote:I use the bsx on occasion .. when I look at the graphs they make sense to me. The most telling thing for me is it told me pretty much I need to warm up and how long it takes me to warm up.

I am mostly interested in the BSX Insight over the MOXY. Partly due to the size of the two, but also the entry price of the BSX Insight being more friendly on the wallet.

You think the BSX is worth the $370 or so that it costs retail? Do you find it is helpful with your training? Or is it something that you think an owner will end up just using a few times a year and spend most of its time in the desk drawer. I like the idea of it and I can see how it could be beneficial for training and racing. The sensors are still in their infancy, so probably a lot more potential in the future.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I got mine off eBay awhile back for 2 and change. Right now it's a few times a year thing. My wife used it a few times for the running portion and interval training. She thought the data was useful for that . Me I've used it on a few TTs and practice TTs but more for pacing . If you are a data geek I think you will find some usefulness.
If it linked up with garmin stuff a little better and the output all showed up it would be nice. The phone app will link up HRM and power but I'd like to see it all in strava or garmin connect. I have not tried recently though.
On the bike I remember I had to make a separate workout for the bsx because if you are not using it the garmin will still search for it and it was playing havoc with my power meter numbers.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

same here. i sweat a lot so it may help me to hydrate at a certain level when my hydration drops.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc