Switching between bikes with oval and normal chainrings

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

martinko

by martinko

Hi all,

I tried to search for others' experience about this but wasn't successful.

I would like to finally try Rotor Q-Rings.
But, if I switch between multiple road bikes during the season, do I need to put Q-Rings on all of them?
I've got 3 bikes and 1 set of Q-Rings.

Would I have any problem if I didn't, from the physiological perspective, e.g., knee pain, muscle strain?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

If you are riding bikes with and without the Q-rings frequently (at least 1-2 days per week each), then I'd imagine you'd retain both muscle firing patterns and it wouldn't be a problem other than perhaps during the first few minutes of each ride, which is a warm up anyway. If you would be sticking with one type only for several weeks, then it may take longer to get used to the other type when you do finally get back on them.

As evidence, I cite that there are people out there using a mix of Q and round rings, like a Q 36t and a round 52t, with the belief that one is better for climbing and the other for spinning the flats. They are switching back and forth between each type of ring many times per ride.

Marin

by Marin

No problem, it's comparable to switching between pedaling sitting down vs. standing, only a smaller difference.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I've used oval rings on my road bike for 2 seasons. In December 2015 I built a 29er for some winter fun. I still train mostly inside on the road bike in winter but get out on the 29er maybe 1-2 times a week for shorter rides. I always found my pedaling on my MTB (round) quite "lumpy" until I put an oval ring on it a few months ago.

So 85-90% on ovals and the rest on round didn't really work for me.

But I had ridden for agen on ovals without ever riding with round so guess I totally lost the muscle firing pattern. As above, if using both regularly you might be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gazrichards

by gazrichards

You do realise that it's only the rings that are oval don't you? The cranks (and therefore your legs) will still spin in a circle.
I've been using oval rings of various brands for years and switch from road to track to cross etc without any issue.
The ovality of the q rings just evens out the likely weakness in your pedal stroke and makes it easier to get over the dead spot in your pedalling circle without making you have to specifically train it out.
There is no getting used to or adapting to q rings.

prebsy

by prebsy

I run an oval ring on my mtb, round on everything else. I find my body adjusts within 5minutes of riding.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

gazrichards wrote:You do realise that it's only the rings that are oval don't you? The cranks (and therefore your legs) will still spin in a circle.
I've been using oval rings of various brands for years and switch from road to track to cross etc without any issue.
The ovality of the q rings just evens out the likely weakness in your pedal stroke and makes it easier to get over the dead spot in your pedalling circle without making you have to specifically train it out.

Yeah but the muscle firing patterns are different from pedaling I. Round vs oval rings.

I changed the MTB to an oval chain ring and suddenly just felt normal. Nice and smooth again and no lumpiness. But like I said. I didn't have the opportunity to keep riding a bike with round rings for ages after I changed the road bike to ovals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martinko

by martinko

Thanks to all for answers and sorry for late reply. I will try it then if there should be no problem. I was just worried if I had to switch all my bikes with Q Rings.

ms6073

by ms6073

Replaced the DA 9000 rings on my wifes bike with a set of Absolute Black 50/34 rings and mounting nuts while her cross bike still has round Wickwerks 44/34. Although her time on the cross bike has been minimal since the switch, she has not indicated that it has caused any issues, not to mention the new rings look very nice on her road bike.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

tuba

by tuba

I had Q-Rings 52/36 for 2 years on a Zipp Vumaquad then had an issue with the chainring bolt & switched back to the round 52/36 OEM rings.
I had no issues with pain/discomfort but noticed I could push a lot larger gear than the equivalent Q-Ring. (2-3 harder gear which makes sense)
I spin my gears (high RPM) but it felt like I was turbo charged & could spin forever.

Marin

by Marin

Was similar for me, could ride lower cadence on the oval rings, but high cadence feels like your feet will fly off the pedals

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have my first oval ring on my race bike and like it. All my other bkkes have round rings. I speng s couple of days riding ival then the last vouple riding round rings. I did not even notice, well i did but it felt normal.

Gsrbaruk do lovely rings it turns out are are willing to make specials.they are doing a 46t 135 bcd narrow wide for an old record chainset. I'll be going back for more.

addictR1

by addictR1

i have the QXL ring for about 2yrs now and for me it really resolved my knee pain issues and definitely smooth out my pedal strokes. so instead of swapping my cranks between my addictr1 to tmr02.. i ended up getting 2 sets and never looked back. i kept mine at the default position 3, but haven't really dug deep into what the different position does, i.e. benefits, etc.

kode54

by kode54

gazrichards wrote:You do realise that it's only the rings that are oval don't you? The cranks (and therefore your legs) will still spin in a circle.

yup. i only have oval inner ring on one bike. never felt like it was different than my other ones running round rings. i'm running absolute black ovals which aren't as localized as the q-rings.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I've been running oval rings on my commuter/trainer for a few years, and have round on my race bike. I've never even noticed the difference when out on the road.

However I did do my first workout on the rollers for quite some time over the weekend (on round rings) and I noticed that high cadence was quite choppy. Maybe this was just lack of cadence work, or maybe it was different muscle firing patterns. :noidea:
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com