What's the coldest temp you'll train outside in?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

Hate the cold, but hate life without cycling even more.
Done -18 as well. Good clothing, adjusting durations of the rides is the most important factor for me.

Solo rides do get less obviously though..

Cyclocross/mtb replaces most of my roadbike weekend activity. Evenings on the road though.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

I live in a low lying costal area, so it doesn’t get particularly cold here however at some points during winter it can get to -2deg early in the mornings when I am out. The lowest temp I have ridden in was -4deg after traveling an hour for a ride and discovering it was much colder than home… :|

I find as long as you are dressing for the conditions the temps above aren’t too bad; the flip side I guess is it’s ridiculously hot here during summer also.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

grouk wrote:here in Portugal is not too cold, 0ºC in the winter is the minimum. but that 0º could make serious damages, short story
a few days ago on a Saturday ride me and a friend left home with 17º 1 hour later in the city at the bottom of the moutain 10º, start climb in the half of the climb at about 800 meters cross the clouds start rain, in the top of the moutain at 1300 meters 4ºc, we began the descent... man it was horrible , it was the worst experience I've had on a bike after 4 kms we stopped at a cafe and we were completely hypothermia, we can not continue and had to call home

so it's not required too cold to go wrong, get wet bad clothes

If you were able to make a call, you weren't hypothermic! :beerchug:

pashax

by pashax

Down to -5*C when I am in Europe or until the roads become snowy. :P
"If you brake, you do not win". MC

ms6073

by ms6073

While I have competed in road races in temperatures close to 0C and raced cyclocross (masters nationals and world championships) in temperatures as cold as -15C, which took hours to warm back up. With my racing days now behind me, if the forecast calls for sustained temperatures below 5C, the wife and I will opt for an hour or two on the trainers.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Haydn

by Haydn

Around -10°c is the coldest i have been out in, after getting warmed up its only really toes and fingers that hurt, and losing dexterterity can start to get dangerous. It's usually ice on the road that puts me off cycling rather than feeling cold. I do wrap up warm at the start of the ride, including a mask & balaclava that covers almost my entire face.

Worst experience was being out without a jacket close to 0°c, which was OK until it unexpectedly started raining and felt a whole lot colder.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Citizenfox wrote:What's the coldest temp you'll train outside in?

Not sure what the coldest I'm going to be able to do, I'm always up for a challenge to learn about myself and my capabilities both on the physical and psychological fronts... that said, the coldest I've trained in has been 22°F and it was a short 60mi ride with a lot of climbing. Descending was slow because of the ice on the road and because the wind-chill made things colder! :lol:

Coldest I've ever gone for a run was 20°F in dry conditions (no snow, no moisture, this was in the high desert) for a 30Km trail race.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

sawyer

by sawyer

No lower limit, governed by ice risk

Realistically in south east England there aren't that many mornings below -5oC, and even
fewer of those with no / very little ice risk
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

han1337

by han1337

No snow, no Ice, I will be outside.
If there is snow or ice, either intervals on the trainer or MTB in the trail.

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

-15 is usually a common training temperature here in Sweden, unfortunately. Would rather have 30 degrees all year round
velonode.cc

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

It was 45f this morning and with all the new gear that was a non thing. It's supposed to 35f at 7a.m. Tomorrow morning, which will be the coldest I've done. I could actually go out a few hours later but I want to do it to set the tone for more outside riding this winter. I'll report back.

Planning on:

Assos bibs with Bontrager winter tights over
Assos early winter long sleeve base layer + rapha long sleeve merino base
Rapha proteam jacket
Fleece neack gator
Fleece skull cap
Bontrager toe covers
Wool socks with Giro lace ups
Castelli winter gloves

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Bar Mitts for the win.

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Bought a nice Bontrager thin merino base layer wih a hood that can zip all the way up to cover you up to your nose. It can also be rolled down like neck gator. I think this over my Assos early winter and long sleeve Rapha pro team jacket will take me down to the mid thirties nicely.

It was almost 70 when I rode today.

nismosr

by nismosr

15F and the 40 mile ride was cut to 17 miles when I got back home .. my water bottle was frozen solid!
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

nismosr wrote:15F and the 40 mile ride was cut to 17 miles when I got back home .. my water bottle was frozen solid!

I call that core strength day

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com