comparable units, e.g. per spoke

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
traut

by traut

Hi all,

is there an option in order to convert something to reasonable units per piece?

The main topic is 'spokes':

Weights are given sometimes per 16, 20, 24, 32, 36, 64 or 100 pcs.

Most of the times it might be reasonable to scale this down to total weight, divided by pieces, shown with one decimal unit.

It's not a perfectly fair result:
* weight will depend on spoke length, too.
* weight is interesting for full wheelsets (such as 32 spokes)

But I don't know a better option for comparison than a per spoke definition. I might use e.g. 12 thin spokes left and 24 spokes right on a rear hub.

Maybe the page could offer some extra total weight calculator. A perfect spoke calculator might compute the total weight from weight per unit (maybe scaled to matching spoke length!?) and add the spoke nipples. You might even combine this with a spoke length calculator ;-)

ok, dreaming... But I feel that spokes should be displayed in weight per spoke...

It's the main listing where this problem arises. It may have a minor influence on chains which are offered in different chain lengths...

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Weight per spoke would require every submitter to have a scientific scale.

Let's say you have 32 pcs. of Sapim CX-Rays at 260 mm weighing in at 142 g.
That's ~4,4375 g per spoke.
Most WW's (including me) have only scales which go down to 1 g featuring a range from 0-2000/3000/6000 g.
From my experience those scales tend to be inaccurate below 10 g, especially when they get older.
So submissions with 3, 4, or 5 g per spoke would occur, resulting in 96, 128 or 160 g for 32 spokes.

But if someone has a scale capable of 2 decimal places (or more ;)) and an LBS willing to hand him out sample spokes for weighing this would be a good idea.
Image Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

traut

by traut

There's no need for a precision scale here:

Just weigh as many spokes you have or ar many as fit on the range of your scale. This should offer the best precision.

For the WW input, offer them the way it is done by now: number of spokes, spoke length, without nipples.

However, for the display and comparsion this weight is converted to a weight per spoke: just divide the total weight by the number of spokes as given.

Since most weights are shown in full gramms only, the spoke page should show a significant numer of digits (one or two).

Examples:
100 alloy nipples: 30 g -> weight per nipple: 0.03 g
32 DT revolution, 258 mm, 127 g -> weight per spoke: 3.97 g

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Sometimes my brain is on a go-slow. :oops:
I'll note this on my to-do list.
Image Image

traut

by traut

Florian wrote:I'll note this on my to-do list.

Thanks!
Martin