Saddle for comfort (

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

fa63

by fa63

I can recommend the Brooks Cambium as well. It really does a great job of absorbing the bumps, and has a slight rise in the back which provides a platform to push against. You can get the carved version of you want a cutout, though I find it unnecessary (I have both).

I also got along with Specialized Romin, but not nearly as well as the Cambium.

Also check your saddle height and setback as mentioned. Since I settled on my position, I have found that I can pretty much any saddle for about two hours without major discomfort.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I think i am still lower than my old preference, inseam 87.7cm, seat height 77.5cm.
That is BB centrum along seat mast tube, up to saddle top following the line to the top of saddle (not a bubble tool nose to tail of saddle).

I have basically been running from 76 to 89.5cm seat height!
I have been testing back and forth last 4 years and i think i need to settle at some point :mrgreen:

Just moved cleats (using MTB shoes Giro VR-90/ 46½) to the second thread hole (10mm further rear).
Also moved seat 10mm forward. Have not tested this just yet. Rode the other cleat hole (further forward by +10mm) and +10mm saddle to bar reach.
I am 182cm.

The lower the less prone to pressure at perineum, that is true.
However the knee angle also increases.
But i don't like to feel i kind of suspend myself over saddle as this quite fast give me lower back pain.

I opted for ISM PN 1.1 until i was told this will not be good for me.
Over all i have read up like an idiot on ISM.
But i only end up in confusion. There is somethings around them that make me unsure.

Still unsure of the new SQ Labs Ergowave. The nose looks very much like what won't work.
It's a drop formed mold in base with no extended relief channal following.
Also seems (from looks) that this one is not for people moving around.

I will try Cobb Plus DRT.

I wonder if Cobbs general suggestion concerns TT bikes.
Because he suggest you use elbow to middle fingers end distance, seat nose to center of handlebar.
That is very short!

I also looked at Plus 2 and MAX saddle. But Plus 2 uses a softer memory foam which to me suggest it will depress the nose more ( i don't think i would need that at this design).
MAX is wider at 55mm where PLUS is 40mm. Riding Bontrager Hilo XXX i felt i'd rather not use a wider nose than this.
The SHC saddle is much less padded.
I am not sure i can handle that.

I am not a believer in fat padded chamois. Actually i could imagine using a even less padded than Castelli Free Aero bib chamois.
I tried Sportful Total Comfort, but this bib made me crazy. It was far to padded in the ass for my liking.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

How about Specialized Power, if it was not mentionned ? I've had it on the road bike for a while and I just picked one up for the CX. I'll see how that fits on different terrain.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

wheelzqc, i have Bontrager Hilo XXX.
It works, but IMO, it is too short.

I don't ride CX really. I ride no tracks/ courses.
I ride tarmac, gravel, trail and some MTB paths if i find them.

I would not move towards a short saddle.
I find that i move in a range, which is really longer than my current saddle (270mm).

Yesterday i rode something which was similar to a CX track.
I was sitting with my sitbones as far to the rear as possible and rode it in the drops 100%.
If i had used a short saddle, i think i had been missing length.

I question Cobbs fit guide as it is extremely short. I would use my saddle 85mm further forward which would be a disaster for trail.

However, i talked to the importer i ordered from and he also uses more set back and lower saddle position than recommended by Cobb.

But i have been checking ISM, Cobb and SQ Labs saddles for weeks.
In the end, i feel my initial thoughts believes most in Cobbs saddles now.
Especially the Plus version. Plus 2 uses softer memory foam in the nose and longer rails.
The rails length is good on the Plus 2. But i doubt the softer foam is ideal for me.
I believe this make the nose dip more. I am not sure i would like that.
I may be wrong here, i admit that.
But i also wanted the dirt/ drt version which has another "shell", which is more durable and with better grip than the road version saddles.

Best saddle i have used so far is Astute Star Lite VT.
WW:ism is not prio 1 for me on a gravel machine.

I am jet amazed that my UP has no paint chipping with respects to the crappy terrain i have been riding.
The rims has some bruises from stones. Just cosmetical so no damage.

I find that riding Avion wheels and +34mm tires works better than expected on my UP.
I usually sneak in a bit here and there on my bike and i have never had this much fun.

I can't believe how well a drop bar none suspension frame can run like this.
I use Ritchey EVOMAX handlebar and i ride pretty much in the drops even in the most shitty circumstances.

The only thing i really would like now, is part from a superb saddle, a through axle compatible RD protector.
I hate when i slide down because i worry that the RD will be smoked.

I have only seen QR versions so far :(
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I think the Cobb reach guide is between the saddle and TT pads.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

MattSoutherden wrote:I think the Cobb reach guide is between the saddle and TT pads.

Check this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvfxHelKATI
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Wow. That seems like complete Cobb-lers to me.

That would be a very choked-up position.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

MattSoutherden wrote:Wow. That seems like complete Cobb-lers to me.

That would be a very choked-up position.

Right on my thoughts to!

I tried this but it was so off!

I actually wrote them and asked.
They say it is correct, it is for road bikes to!!

At this moment, i am just waiting for Plus saddle. I hope it will work out.
Also been wondering, if a skeleton frame could be built.

Starting from the rear sit bone and following the pubic bone.
Actually the skeleton would look a bit like a "V", with the widest width at the rear ofcourse.
From this point of the bones structure (and width), one would need to figure if the saddle should be more flat (side to side) or flare down at the sides.
The shape flat or curved looking nose to rear.
Then the saddle would need to be widen (for a position with hands on bars), or perhaps only a bit shaped and padded.

It's about figuring where we can have body weight without pressurising soft tissue and nerves.

I'm also not convinced i would design a saddle for gravel, cx and road that is too short.

I don't believe in the ideal of more or less fixed position.
I think we need to be able to re-adjust position to hinder pressure zone build up.

Question is what it would cost with a made skeleton frame and sending that to a saddle maker.
I think as bibs are with chamois, we might not need so much padding.

Looking at different chamois it's easy to see how they're built up.
Most have a higher build where sitbones are.
I wonder if that is really needed.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have been testing Cobb Plus DRT.
But i am not all convinced this one is for me.

I still get some pressure at perineum. I am not sure if i should go for Randee or Fity five next.
Randee is a soft saddle and 55 is firm. Randee has larger relief channels for less contact with perineum, but still i worry of the soft padding.
I have a sense that shape is more important than lots of padding. Padding compress and we also have chamois in our bibs.
This also compress. Too much padding will also resort to pressure.

At this point i would like to order a custom saddle and also a custom handlebar.
But sadly the prices for such job is well and beyond what i can finance.

Cobb is really good to discuss with and very helpful.
I decided on Cobb over ISM as ISM is wider.
Now, if i only could get a gripe of which saddle to try,... 55 or Randee.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Today i got a new package from Cobb cycling in Norway.
I discussed with Christoffer and Alex Bok (Cobb USA) and they are very nice guys.

This package contained Fifty Five (55) or shall we say JOF-55.
It also contained JOF Randee/ Randee.
JOF model line is Just Off the Nose.

Both these saddles allow multiple positions.
They are kind of different.
Randee is rounded looking from rear, edges flare down rounded.
55 is more of flat with another design of the nose (atleast visually).

55 is a firm saddle and Randee is a soft saddle. Plus i had, was a medium padded saddle.
All uses memory foam.

I will start riding these saddles next 2 weeks.
I just set up my UP with Randee and i can feel that it allows very low position aswell as moving full on rearward.

But i wait a bit with my intial outcome.
I thought i might describe a bit of these saddles here.

With the Plus is sent back, i have tested 15 saddles.
With 55 and Randee i am up to 17 saddles.

My main goal is to find a saddle which works for just about all positions.
I move alot and due to some issues with my rear back and even neck/ shoulder, i have found out that saddles are playing a huge role for these issues to.
People having issues with leg discrepancy can also find ease and release if they find a good saddle.

If you like to ask me something about these two saddles, you can PM or post here.

As i see it, either Cobb or ISM seems to be the choice i must focus on.
I could include SQ Labs, but for now i have sorted them out due to their nose design.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

vitriol

by vitriol

Saddles are a very personal thing I believe, but for me, the MCFK padded saddle made all the difference in the world. I believe it's because it has some flex in it, instead of some padding, if that makes any sense.

It is also very light :beerchug:

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

wheelsONfire wrote:I think as bibs are with chamois, we might not need so much padding.

That has been my experience. In fact, I have come to the conclusion that the saddle itself does not need any padding. I experimented for years with one padded saddle after the next before trying out the moderately padded SMP Lite 209. The lighter padding on the SMP made a dramatic difference. Admittedly, the big hole in the middle probably had more to do with relieving perineum pressure than anything else but it was still interesting to me that less padding gave more comfort. Then I switched to a SMP Full Carbon with no padding whatsoever and all my pain has gone away.

Give an unpadded saddle a try if your new Cobbs do not solve your problem for you. You may be surprised.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

WannabeWeenie wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:I think as bibs are with chamois, we might not need so much padding.

That has been my experience. In fact, I have come to the conclusion that the saddle itself does not need any padding. I experimented for years with one padded saddle after the next before trying out the moderately padded SMP Lite 209. The lighter padding on the SMP made a dramatic difference. Admittedly, the big hole in the middle probably had more to do with relieving perineum pressure than anything else but it was still interesting to me that less padding gave more comfort. Then I switched to a SMP Full Carbon with no padding whatsoever and all my pain has gone away.

Give an unpadded saddle a try if your new Cobbs do not solve your problem for you. You may be surprised.

I did. I modified Fizik Antares 00 so i ran it in several different versions before i went to far and had to lay it to rest.

I do not like SMP. I currently have Dynamic CRB. We never get along.
But sure, i am believing you. A few guys i know have stopped using bibs. The also run cheap soft saddles and now say that this is the best and typical road bike and race saddles are all too hard.
As mentioned, they use no bibs with chamois.

Different people, different ideas.

I tried Randee today. I can only say that this saddle does not beat you up at all.
I need to try it some more and also the 55 saddle.

I kind of find that saddles is weird (or i am).
I can bike on a saddle and it feels ok. After awhile it start to feel like it is starting to develop issues to find a good position.
This is something i try to figure.

I wonder how usual this is really...!?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

wheelsONfire wrote:
I did. I modified Fizik Antares 00 so i ran it in several different versions before i went to far and had to lay it to rest.

I do not like SMP. I currently have Dynamic CRB. We never get along.
But sure, i am believing you. A few guys i know have stopped using bibs. The also run cheap soft saddles and now say that this is the best and typical road bike and race saddles are all too hard.
As mentioned, they use no bibs with chamois.

Different people, different ideas.

I tried Randee today. I can only say that this saddle does not beat you up at all.
I need to try it some more and also the 55 saddle.

I kind of find that saddles is weird (or i am).
I can bike on a saddle and it feels ok. After awhile it start to feel like it is starting to develop issues to find a good position.
This is something i try to figure.

I wonder how usual this is really...!?

Yeah SMP saddles are not for everybody. All of my friends who have tried my bike hate it. They say it locks them into a single fore-aft position on the bike. I was not expecting to like them when I first tried them out but it seems to work so oh well *shrug*.

I had not thought to pad the saddle and get rid of the chamois. I might have to try that next.

Well as others have said, finding the right saddle to fit one's butt is a highly personal thing. Good luck in your search. Do keep us updated please.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hey WannabeWeenie,

i am about to test the 55 saddle today or tomorrow.
When i was checking these two saddles i came to a point where i felt, oh god, i want a inbetweener.
Why is that?
Because 55 is firmer which is appealing to me.
Randee IMO, has a shape that is better for transition on saddle.
But 55 has a firmer padding.
The Randee is rounded from the rear view. The 55 is flat.
I find that rounded (flaring down at the sides) works a bit better when you move back and forth on the saddle.
So by looks, i could imagine either changing padding on 55, or better, rework it's rear shape.

As i always go to the source, i reconnected to Alex Bok of Cobb USA.
He also told me such a saddle is in the pipeline.

So, i end up realizing. Even if i go for Randee or 55, i simply must have this new saddle when it comes out.

I find that during a route i have different stages where i change pose and position several times.
I have always found the TT saddles have certain features that would appeal both to road and gravel bikers.
However, it seems they are perhaps less suited to moving to the rear of saddle.

It's like we need to marry the design ideals of TT and road/ gravel.
I don't know how many of you rides much in drops and hammer tarmac to?

I do and i find that i do this both on my road and gravel bikes.
I don't like saddles that single out are sweet spot saddles.
For me, there is no such thing.
Because when i start riding i am stiffer, then i like to stretch out and move more to the rear.
Inbetween i alter pose and hip angle. Some times we become dead tired and again change position.

This is where i would like a saddle to hang in to these stages.
I think in theory, Cobb might have something cooking in the inbetweener design that they say is ongoing.
I skipped WW:ism when i landed my gravel machine project.
Simply because it cost too much and it's not worth it.
It also make the bike to prone to be less durable.

I find that my UP bike is much more tough than my Ax Vial EVO D.
The Vial could never survive these brute conditions, of that i am sure.

Next i hope is that Fibrelyte take up my request and develop a through axle rear derailleure guard.
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com