Clement MXP or other?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Narrowbars

by Narrowbars

Just after some tyre advise.

I'm looking for an all rounder clincher for road, gravel, dry single track, bridle ways etc. Basically everything apart from full mud ;)

Looking at the Clement MXP or maybe the Specialized Tracer Pro, any other recommendations or advise?

Please NO challenge tyres though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

You might consider Schwalbe Sammy Slick.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Marin

by Marin

GP 4000s II 28mm is what I'm running on my CX when I go mountain biking with my girlfriend. They come out to 31mm on velocity A23s, and still roll awesome on the road.

headwind816

by headwind816

Clement LAS is a great all around tire for all but mud.

Narrowbars

by Narrowbars

@ ms6073

The Sammy slick looks a possibility although I haven't had a lot of luck with Schwalbe tyres before in the past. I find the side walls cut fairly easily, but I will look into it thanks.

@ Marin

Not looking for a road tyre ;)

@ headwind816

The LAS looked a possibility for sure, although off road it might struggle as the side knobs don't look quite aggressive enough. My typical rides are about 40% road then 60% gravel/mud single track and the odd very rooty mtb trails.

Thanks everyone for the advise so far. Does anyone have any experience with tubeless on Cyclocross? On the mountain bike it's a no brainer and I'd never consider tubes but I'm yet to try it properly on Cyclocross.

ms6073

by ms6073

Narrowbars wrote:@ ms6073

The Sammy slick looks a possibility although I haven't had a lot of luck with Schwalbe tyres before in the past. I find the side walls cut fairly easily, but I will look into it thanks.

We have both clincher and tubular version of the Schwalbe tires and I can see side-wall cuts being an issue with the tubulars as they are very supple, but not the clinchers. I have ridden them both tubeless and tubed with Enve Twenty9 XC wheels on a variety of surfaces to include very fine aggregate and crushed stone chips and while I have had a couple flats on the crushed stone but usually because of the sharp edges of the crushed stone but no issues with side-wall cuts. The biggest problem is finding the tires as I could not find a US source and ended up ordering from the UK.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

headwind816

by headwind816

LOVE tubeless on cx although never tried it racing. I found tubeless great for gravel - chunky and smooth style - and dirt farm road a (U.S. Midwest/corn and wheat belt). FYI, tubeless set up on Stan's Alpha 340 rims using Victoria TNT XG tires.

Narrowbars

by Narrowbars

@ ms6073

That sounds promising, did they prove reliable running tubeless?

@ headwind816

Thanks, how would you rate the Vittoria's out of interest?

ms6073

by ms6073

Did it help prevent flats off-road or on gravel trails? Yes, but compared to running Challenge latex tubes, running tubeless on the Enve rims was not worth the added time required to keep them running tubeless if you only ride the trails 4-6 hours per month.
- Michael

Narrowbars

by Narrowbars

@ ms6073

I was mainly interested in the tubeless options for the ride quality and grip it offers, the lack of pinch flats is an added bonus as well. I've been getting on well with the ride quality/grip offered from the Challenge Griffo I'm currently using, it's good off road in most situations and no too slow on the road but the sidewalls and general build quality of Challenge open tubulars is whats letting me down with it. That's what made me think of trying the Clement MXP as the tread design is based around the Griffo. The Sammy Slick looks promising option too, I'm just wondering if the side tread will dig in enough on loose or off camber corners. The Challenge Chicane looks almost perfect with the more aggressive side tread and almost slick center, but after previous experience of Challenge open tubulars I'm not prepared to use them.

My cross bikes used for between 6 and 10 hours a week, about 60% off road. My off road is typically gravel fire road, dirt single track, rooty dirt trails.

Marin

by Marin

I used to run Vittoria Randonneur Pro 35mm and Schwalbe Marathon Racer 40mm tubeless on my CX for road/woods/gravel touring, but now that I run the GP4000 I'm not missing the extra width.

Shoulder knobs or diamond patterns don't help at all in the dry and are annoying/dangerous on harder surfaces - at least for me. In the mud items a different picture, agreed.

PJCM

by PJCM

MXP are apparently great tyres when run tubed but not that suitable for tubeless, assuming that the casing construction is the same across their CX range.

I found the recommendations in this article are pretty consistent with various advice on the web. I recently setup some Michelins tubeless without issue so maybe consider the Jet if you want a tubeless option.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/going-tubeles ... mendations

philipBer

by philipBer

I am running the Specialized Tracer Pro tubeless, great tire!

Had Challenge Griffo XS before.... puncture nightmare!!

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

The Tracer Pro 2Bliss is good. If you are mostly on road and dirt road/gravel, I'd steer you to the Trigger Pro 2Bliss. It rolls a lot better and still has some cornering knobs.

The MXP is, IMO, needlessly aggressive for what you're describing.

cfrankscid

by cfrankscid

WTB Nano 40c. A little bit more on the burly side

http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=4002

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com