THM Carbonnes or Zero Gravity Cranks?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morrisond

by morrisond

About to order all the parts for my new bike (50th Anniversary Storck 1.0).

The question is how good are the THM Carbonnes in terms of Stiffness and bearing quality?

No one's tried the Zero Gravity yet, but how would THM's compare to Dura Ace in stiffness and say Record in bearing quality?

I'm a big guy at about 105 kg(used to be 130kg). Which I know is in excess of the limit for the Carbonnes, but I'm not that concerned about warranty, and apparently they will raise the limit in the spring anyways.

Price is not a huge concern for me, and the 85 gram's less of the THM's is nice, and the carbon looks good

Thoughts, comments?

tcr

by tcr

Its a hard call to make at the moment because we don't know how much the 0G's are going to cost... surely that would be an influencing factor in your purchase?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

twistyaction usa

by twistyaction usa

As morrisond said "price isn't much of a concern" for him. I believe the opinions you're looking for are throughout the Zero G Cranks - First Pics thread. Pretty much down to aesthetics, but Phil Wood bearings in the Zero G's is generally considered the best possible, right?[/url]

morrisond

by morrisond

I assume the bearings in the Zero's will be great, but how are they in the THM's?

mises

by mises

morrisond wrote:About to order all the parts for my new bike (50th Anniversary Storck 1.0).

The question is how good are the THM Carbonnes in terms of Stiffness and bearing quality?

No one's tried the Zero Gravity yet, but how would THM's compare to Dura Ace in stiffness and say Record in bearing quality?

I'm a big guy at about 105 kg(used to be 130kg). Which I know is in excess of the limit for the Carbonnes, but I'm not that concerned about warranty, and apparently they will raise the limit in the spring anyways.

Price is not a huge concern for me, and the 85 gram's less of the THM's is nice, and the carbon looks good

Thoughts, comments?

According to THM's numbers they are stiffer than DA, according to the weights stated so far for the ZG the THM are about 85g lighter. Bearing quality I don't know - have only been using THM for about 2 months and the rainy season is just starting. The THM do have a weight limit, currently only recommend using for 3 years, and have warnings about not letting your shoes rub on them. Mine also measured 154mm Q factor.

If you don't mind the weight or looks that's all sort of an argument in favor of ZG.

morrisond

by morrisond

Mises, how do the bearing in the cranks feel? Are they pretty smooth? Do the Cranks feel nice and stiff?

I had Storck Power arms with an FSA BB on my last Storck 1.1 and they felt incredible compared to Dura Ace on my interim waiting for Storck 1.0, Madone 5.9 SL bike.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I can tell you that the THM are very stiff and the bearings in the couple pairs that I've had, have been super smooth. The only drawback to them, is the slightly wider q factor(150).

mises

by mises

morrisond wrote:Mises, how do the bearing in the cranks feel? Are they pretty smooth? Do the Cranks feel nice and stiff?

The cranks feel very stiff and, for lack of a better description, I feel very solidly connected to the bike when riding them. Everything is high quality and bearings feel very smooth, but that won't mean much to me until they go through a few hundred km of heavy rain and muddy runoff. If they still feel smooth after a few rounds of that I will be very impressed.

the_taaboo

by the_taaboo

@morrisond:
I think the best way is to send THM a mail with your concernes, maybe the can made some enhancements on a special crankset for you? With additional UD carbon layers, ect.

Taaboo
Think about the lightest part on your bike? Your brain! -Use it and do not buy any component, but the one which suits your riding style...

Boonen

by Boonen

I haven't tried the THM's, but I wouldn't worry about the bearings too much. AFAIK they are the same size as the one's in the DA10 bb (you might want to check this).
You can replace the DA's with ceramic bearings if you want the cranks to turn smoother, or when you ever wear down the originals. They have them here, but I'm sure there are others: http://www.ceramicspeed.com/ When spinning freely you will realy notice the difference!
I think the outboard bearings in general work very good. You get a nice and stiff setup that is very longlasting because the bearings are so big.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alpine

by alpine

What about the new Look and Stronglight cranks, both with outboard bearings?