Brake levers for use with carbon TT bar..?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

redbiker

by redbiker

I've just ordered a set of the Bontrager XXX Lite carbon aero bars.

What brake levers would you recommend to go with them? I like the look of the Vision Tech ones (claimed weight 75g pair). Am I right in thinking that Vision Tech bars have a narrower internal diameter than most TT bars? They make adaptors to convert to larger diameter bars. Does this seem a bit silly to anyone else?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

big fellow

by big fellow

red

i have a pair of old bullhorns that i used up until a few weeks ago with the traditional style of skinny levers, they worked with no problems

last week i got a vision tech base bar, and i also got the new levers. surprise, they actually do weight 75gr! it's my understanding, and vision tech say this repeatedly, that they are of a narrower diameter than normal

they do sell expanders for larger diameter bars

does not sound silly, after all this is WW :wink: provided the expanders are not OTT weight wise, get 'em. they look cool. my new bars are going on in a couple of weeks, can give you some feedback then on how they brake. perhaps someone else can comment on that...

cheers

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

redbiker wrote:I've just ordered a set of the Bontrager XXX Lite carbon aero bars.

What brake levers would you recommend to go with them? I like the look of the Vision Tech ones (claimed weight 75g pair). Am I right in thinking that Vision Tech bars have a narrower internal diameter than most TT bars? They make adaptors to convert to larger diameter bars. Does this seem a bit silly to anyone else?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Redbiker,

Have a look at thy What TT aerobars to choose?-topic. I also have the Bontrager aerobars. You will find a lot of comments and pictures of it in the topic.

I went for Blackwell Research brake levers; I ordered them online (www.blackwellresearch.com) and got them in 8 days. Discovery team used Blackwell brake levers, Cane Creek carbon brakes levers and a special "Bontrager" model in de TdF (not for sale). I love the brake levers very much, really good, strong, quite light and smooth.
I took a look at the Vision ones but found them to be really sharp at your fingers!! Not pleasent on long disctance rides, I thought.

Good luck choosing the one you like!

Grtz,

C a s r a n
Attachments
my Bontrager aerobars with Blackwell brake levers
my Bontrager aerobars with Blackwell brake levers
Discovery's aerobars with Blackwell brake levers
Discovery's aerobars with Blackwell brake levers

big fellow

by big fellow

good point casran, have not seen those levers...

hypothetically your arms are on your aero bars or on the bars yeah? on the brakes only for split seconds when braking???

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

big fellow wrote:good point casran, have not seen those levers...

hypothetically your arms are on your aero bars or on the bars yeah? on the brakes only for split seconds when braking???

True, but not so if you have longer climbing sections (eg. the Monaco half IM), during long rides for IM (or training), while accelerating...

Or for a longer time under certain circumstances: on the advice of Buyneel in the very rainy 2004 TTT the Postal riders rode most of the time with their hands on the base.... you will do this as well if you have to ride in these conditions:

big fellow

by big fellow

true, all good points!

i have not tried mine yet as the bars aren't mounted yet...but will keep it in mind...

cheers

redbiker

by redbiker

Thanks for the advice guys.

Casran,

Did you cut the ends off your Blackwell levers? They look shorter than the ones on the Blackwell website.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

redbiker wrote:Casran,

Did you cut the ends off your Blackwell levers? They look shorter than the ones on the Blackwell website.

No, unchanged.

whooztheman

by whooztheman

Where the hell are we going to find the Bontrager aerobar that has the armrests bolted on the basebar? Anyone knows? Look at the pic... man i am in love with these!!!! pls help!
"It may be near when it seems so far"

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

to go back to the topic :D
i once had syntace levers, but i can't really say "buy them, they're good".
they are made for the syntace bullhorn bar or similar products, so their bend is kind of wrong if you have straight base bar tubes. i cut mine off and braked on the first 4 cm after the angle. as i ordered them i asked for profile brake levers, they look similar to the vision ones. but then they made a mistake and sent syntace.
this problem is over since i have my new bike with the hed bar with integrated levers.
btw:walser makes brake levers, but they're really expensive. they said on eurosport today that walser can't buy carbon at the moment because airbus has bought all the carbon for their new plane(rich wanted a new bar for the worlds, but they didn't have any material so he will ride the old bar)so maybe if you want walser brake levers, you will have to wait.

redbiker

by redbiker

Anyone got the Tektro RX5.0 levers?

They look a lot like the Blackwell ones. £44.99 from wiggle.co.uk

Claimed weight 68g (not sure if that's each or per pair>).

They look nice and are cheaper than the Vision Tech's in the UK.

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

i think in the thread what tt bars to choose there was a pic of those tektro brake levers, and they talked about that these levers are the same as blackwell

redbiker

by redbiker

Thanks, I'll go and have a look!

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

redbiker wrote:Anyone got the Tektro RX5.0 levers?

They look a lot like the Blackwell ones. £44.99 from wiggle.co.uk

Claimed weight 68g (not sure if that's each or per pair>).

They look nice and are cheaper than the Vision Tech's in the UK.

As Simon said, these are the Blackwell levers with another logo (or maybe the other way round ;) ). 68gr is the weight of each lever; in fact mine (Blackwells) were 128gr for both.

I saw Ekimov riding these last week in Madrid. :wink:

Attachments
weight of Blackwell carbon aero levers: 127gr/pair
weight of Blackwell carbon aero levers: 127gr/pair

redbiker

by redbiker

I saw Ekimov riding these last week in Madrid.

Probably just about good enough for me then! :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com