Wide rim technology Velocity A23, HED, Zipp 101

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frans

by Frans

A product no one else has?

I didn't do much research on this but wide road rims are not new. Ask any tourer, cyclocross rider, or 29er rider what they ride. They were not waiting for Hed to come along. A 20 second check on the Mavic site comes up with the A719, A317, A319, A119. One is even disc compatible. Does Hed offer that?

Ok, I'm being picky but this "technology" isn't new. "NEW" would be my tire revolving around my hub with no rims, spokes, nipples, etc by means of mag-lev. That's new technology. Or Luke's landspeeder from the first Star Wars. Bring it on!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGMN

by NGMN

Your reading leaves a little something to be desired, eh?

First, I'm not the one calling it new technology. I'm giving a justification for Hed charging so much for a 425 gram, 23mm wide, clincher rim, thats strong enough for road use down to 20 spokes.

Second, I guess I thought it was clear when I said "road racing rim", all the bloated 23mm wide touring and cyclocross rims weren't really the same thing. Shit, if you want to race on 550-600 gram rim with 32-36 spokes be my guess but don't tell me they're ideal race wheels.

Wester-Ross

by Wester-Ross

I'm giving serious consideration to HED Stinger 4 and 6 wheels next year for racing.

I am therefore looking for a wide rim carbon clincher to use for training.

By this I mean carbon clinchers with a carbon brake track. Why ?
I admit to being lazy and I just don't want keep swapping pads (or pads & holders), which is what I would have to do if I trained the wide alloy rims mentioned here. Besides this is WW ....

I notice that Corima do wide carbon rims (both the Aero and the Winnum are 22.6 wide) does anyone have any feedback on these ? (I did try search, but not a lot of info of Corima, which is strange because they have been around a long time).

Many Thanks

redhed18

by redhed18

Buy the EE brake shoes and changing pads will take you less time that typing that last post. ;)

And they're light, so WW points.

HugoDrax

by HugoDrax

I have a set of A23's in the mail and I am going to build them up with some other goodies. I will post as soon as I have everything/build em' :twisted:

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I just built up a wheel with the A23 and like it. Quality is as you expect it, excellent with Velocity. Forgot to weigh the rim.

Haven't gotten out to ride it yet.

20/24/28/32 was on the rim sticker so low counts are available. For those wondering ERD is 601. No offset version in the works unfortunately. Which is understandable since its a bit of a gamble sales wise on the wide rim "technology". Instead they are coming out with a new hub for better spoke balance.

Maybe if we bug Velocity enough, and buy enough A23 rims, they will make an offset.

Bikey

by Bikey

Anyone know the availability on these in the US? My LBS said they were not yet in the distributor's catalog (NYC area).

Thanks.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

QBP has them in 28 and 32. Velocity has most sizes

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

Rim weight: 495g
Rim dimension: 24x30mm
Front: 675g
Rear: 840g
Total: 1515g

Just completed these for testing and started road testing. Was really curious what the whole buzz was about and decided to find out. It definitely needs some getting used to when you first look at it as it's so much wider. Common sense tells you it's going to feel more planted and stable especially while cornering, but we'll see how they feel at high speeds.

Arky

by Arky

:shock:

Is this the HED rim? Any ideas on MSRP?

HugoDrax

by HugoDrax

I just called up Velocity and made sure they sent it to my shop they have all of them in stock in Michigan I believe. Also, here is a picture of my steel Lemond with new wheels using the A23's. I have a powertap SL+ and it is 20 front 24 rear Dt Competitions with a 240s Dt front hub. Oh and the bike is 18.5 lbs. 8.39 kg. as pictured btw!
Attachments
18173_587427094450_21910592_35380836_7123113_n.jpg

JWTS

by JWTS

soulbike wrote:Rim weight: 495g
Rim dimension: 24x30mm
Front: 675g
Rear: 840g
Total: 1515g

Just completed these for testing and started road testing. Was really curious what the whole buzz was about and decided to find out. It definitely needs some getting used to when you first look at it as it's so much wider. Common sense tells you it's going to feel more planted and stable especially while cornering, but we'll see how they feel at high speeds.

Well, I think the big reason is simply to make the rim width mate to the tire width, for aerodynamic considerations. If people raced on 20's, a wider rim probably offers no real advantage.

I like the look of those wheels, except for one thing: the brake wear line. That would be enough for me to not buy them. That is a horrible invention, for a couple of reasons. It wears a groove in the brake pads, so that the brakes sometimes stick when releasing, and the brakes have an odd feel when you switch wheels, due to the big 'lump'. You can file it down, but it's really unnecessary. If you do away with that, and make rims available for a Powertap build, and I'd definitely buy them.

merkyworks

by merkyworks

redhed18 wrote:Buy the EE brake shoes and changing pads will take you less time that typing that last post. ;)

And they're light, so WW points.

or just be lazy like me and use Koop stop yellow's for alum training wheels and carbon race wheels. I just say F it, I mean the little bit of alum will be harmless on carbon rims

kervelo

by kervelo

I wonder how long it will still take for the cheaper brands to get to the market with their wider 101-type rims.

Is that wider version of the Soul 3.0 rim available as rim-only?

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

C-4 has the V22 rim for a reasonable price. 22mm wide and 24mm deep... 465g. Niobium alloy so probably made by Kinlin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com