KMC X11SL Chains (11-speed) - seen one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chrism

by chrism

Any updated news? Still no sign of them in the wild round here - are KMC having problems with these chains?
No scales on the trails

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

KMC site says the Missing Links should be available mid June.
Didn't realise it was non re-usable though! I was wanting to rotate chains as well.

I know some people reuse SRAM powerlocs but I'm not sure if that's the best way
to go in this case?
Attachments
groot-MissLink_11gold.jpg
card_MissingLink11_gold.jpg
card_MissingLink11_silver.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chiva

by Chiva

I use a wipperman connex missing link and it works fine. I can remove it easy to clean. I really dont think it weakens the chain enough to matter.

Chain

DaveS

by DaveS

The current wipperman connex link would be an extremely sloppy fit with an 11 speed chain. It would have a side clearance that's 2-4 times what it should be - around .4mm rather than .1-.2mm.

I've used a KMC missing link that's made for the Campy UN chain. It's not quite as sloppy a fit, but after only 500 miles, I'm seeing some major wear grroves on the inside of the plates due to the edges of the inner plate rubbing against them. Too much side clearance allows that to happen.

roadman

by roadman

Anyone have a long term review? I am in between this and the Chorus 11 for a chain replacement.. The KMC X11SL is double the price of the Chorus though..

DaveS

by DaveS

roadman wrote:Anyone have a long term review? I am in between this and the Chorus 11 for a chain replacement.. The KMC X11SL is double the price of the Chorus though..

Kind of an apples and oranges comparison. There's more than one KMC option, priced about the same.

roadman

by roadman

Yep, just wondering longevity wise how they compare.. ie. Would you buy KMC over Campag

DaveS

by DaveS

I've done some accurate chain wear testing in the past and found that Campy chains last longer than the others I tested, but they also wear differently. I used a Campy 10 chain for 6,000 miles and it showed little elongation (properly measured with a precise, full length measuring tool). KMC and Shimano chains elongated about 4 times faster, but that does not mean that a Campy chain lasts four times longer. After 6,000 miles, the Campy rollers were shot and the side clearance was nearly twice the original amount. I should have trashed the chain at more like 5,000 miles. The DA7800 chain was good for about 3500 miles when it reached .5% elongation and the KMC about 4,000 miles. The .5% elongation number is totaally aribtrary - just someone's idea of a point where changing the chain might reduce the chance of new-chain skip.

A better approach is using 3-4 chains in a rotation to insure that you never get new-chain skip and the chain is useable beyond .5% elongation.

cabinhorn

by cabinhorn

DaveS wrote:A better approach is using 3-4 chains in a rotation to insure that you never get new-chain skip and the chain is useable beyond .5% elongation.

At the expense of tracking and buying 3-4 chains. If you're using a cheap cassette, this method is as bogus as the overhead in maintaining such a non KISS system. Instead of wearing out a chain and cassette. You wear out 3-4 chains all at once, along with the cassette.

DaveS

by DaveS

cabinhorn wrote:
DaveS wrote:A better approach is using 3-4 chains in a rotation to insure that you never get new-chain skip and the chain is useable beyond .5% elongation.

At the expense of tracking and buying 3-4 chains. If you're using a cheap cassette, this method is as bogus as the overhead in maintaining such a non KISS system. Instead of wearing out a chain and cassette. You wear out 3-4 chains all at once, along with the cassette.

Written like someone with little knowledge of this subject. There is no really cheap 11 speed cassette. If you use 3-4 chains, there is really nothing to keep track of. Use each chain until it's about half worn and then switch to the next new one. After that, you can swap them any time you have one off for cleaning. At lot of people toss half worn chains and buy twice as many chains to get the same mileage from a cassette.

You don't wear out 3-4 chains "all at once". You could alternate the chains as infrequently as their half-life, so you wear one chain out every 1500-2500 miles, which is the half-life of a well maintained chain.

If you're using really low end stuff, buying a single chain and running it into the ground might be cost effective, but it would most likely be cheaper to use at least 2 chains, swapped back and forth. Even you could probably handle that.

eigner

by eigner

These are on sale at Planet-x-bikes.co.uk. Very sharp price!
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

DaveS

by DaveS

eigner wrote:These are on sale at Planet-x-bikes.co.uk. Very sharp price!

Post a link to Campy cassettes. I couldn't find any. If you clcik on cassettes, all you get is Shimano. This thread is about 11 speed chains and cassettes.

eigner

by eigner

DaveS wrote:
eigner wrote:These are on sale at Planet-x-bikes.co.uk. Very sharp price!

Post a link to Campy cassettes. I couldn't find any. If you clcik on cassettes, all you get is Shimano. This thread is about 11 speed chains and cassettes.

Wth. are you drunk?? on a tuesday??

I wrote: " These are on sale at Planet-x-bikes.co.uk. Thats all. Heres a link:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CHK ... ight-chain

That is the direct link to the KMC X11SL chain on sale at Planet X. I have no clue what Campy cassette you are talking of.

I know what this thread is about.... Topic says: "KMC X11SL Chains (11-speed) - seen one?" :lol:

And nope, Planet-x does not sell Campy cassettes at the moment :P
Last edited by eigner on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

DaveS

by DaveS

Wow, you're touchy! I've just started drinking for the day, not drunk yet.

eigner

by eigner

oh, didnt mean to sound touchy I just dont understand what you where asking for. And tbh I think you could have asked me to join you when your getting a drink - now I feel all left out :(

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com