Deep dish carbon clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jakomait

by Jakomait

Upgrade time! I've been thinking about getting new wheels for a while and after trying a stint with tubulars I've decided to go back to clinchers because of the nightmare of getting multipule flats in one ride. So please dont turn this into an argument about what type because I want clinchers.

I'm looking for a deep rim wheelset. In a perfect world I'd like at set of full carbon clincher zipp 404 but since they dont exist I have to keep looking.

Rim depth: 50mm to 60mm
Rim type: Clincher
Material: Full carbon (willing to look at carb/al)
Weight: under 1600g
Cost: not unlimited (Lews or lightweights are out)

Whats out there thats worth looking into?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

STARNUT

by STARNUT

edge 1.68s with what ever you like in them, Bontrager Aeolius 5.0, and maybe the new Shimanos. Although I haven't seen a pair yet and am not sure what they weigh.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

Jakomait

by Jakomait

STARNUT wrote:edge 1.68s with what ever you like in them, Bontrager Aeolius 5.0, and maybe the new Shimanos. Although I haven't seen a pair yet and am not sure what they weigh.

Starnut

I'm not so sure you can even buy an Edge yet. The website dosen't even show a picture of the rim...

Amadeus

by Amadeus

Edge Composite Clinchers 1.38 is just becomming availeble. I think 1.68 will follow soon. Ask Jake Pantone he is a regular on this forum.
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

I didn't know you were going to buy them today :lol:

You can't get the Shimanos either.

in about 6 weeks all of them should be avaliable.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

ergott

by ergott

Amadeus wrote:Edge Composite Clinchers 1.38 is just becomming availeble. I think 1.68 will follow soon. Ask Jake Pantone he is a regular on this forum.

They got backed up again. Still putting the finishing touches on the dimensions surrounding the tire interface.

-Eric

Leloby

by Leloby

Mavic Open Pro Ceramic on Record 32h with Sapim Lasers = 1520g and under £300.

No competition when it comes to strength, comfort, bearing life etc.
Last edited by Leloby on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mecaniciendevelo

by mecaniciendevelo

OK people, lets get this right. It is not a deep dish wheel you are looking for. Dish refers to the spoke angle on the rear wheel. What we are talking about is a Deep "Section" wheel.

I would go with the Reynolds SDV66C. I saw a set on a guy at the Vally o fthe Sun race in AZ and they looked great. I think he even won the Crit in the Cat 3's on them.

dmirrer

by dmirrer

You should go for the Xentis full carbon clinchers ;-) . Weight is just below 1600 gram. Wheels are not too expensive. Only thing is that rims are 42 mm deep.

Jakomait

by Jakomait

Leloby wrote:Mavic Open Pro Ceramic on Record 32h with Sapim Lasers = 1520g and under £300.

I'm looking for a more aero setup. I have a set of light wheels but life is short and I want to try rolling on something with low drag to see if it really makes a difference.

What about the reynolds wheels? anyone have experience with them?

Coolhand

by Coolhand

Leloby wrote:Mavic Open Pro Ceramic on Record 32h with Sapim Lasers = 1520g and under £300.

No competition when it comes to strength, comfort, bearing life etc.

PS: I really think you would have benefitted from Tufo Slime or Vittoria Pit Stop but of course we all know that clinchers are less hassle.

Not carbon, not aero in the least- did you read the OP?

For the OP, check out the Reynolds SDV 66- deep aero carbon clinchers.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

Jakomait

by Jakomait

mecaniciendevelo wrote:OK people, lets get this right. It is not a deep dish wheel you are looking for. Dish refers to the spoke angle on the rear wheel. What we are talking about is a Deep "Section" wheel.

I would go with the Reynolds SDV66C. I saw a set on a guy at the Vally o fthe Sun race in AZ and they looked great. I think he even won the Crit in the Cat 3's on them.

Thanks for clearing that up. You are correct that I mixed some terms up and I did mean to say a deep section rim. sorry about the confusion.

Leloby

by Leloby

Yep, I've had a pair of Reynolds DV46's.

A friend of mine had the DV UL's and nearly got killed when a non-drive side spoke went. Ask Wally at Poshbikes about Reynolds rims. They are super tough but the drillings put extra strain on the spokes as they exit the rim. They buy them undrilled and do it themselves at the proper angles.

Lightweight are crap too. The braking surface can blister and if a spoke goes on them YOU are toast. Same goes for Zipp although the rim is more likely to fail than any of the other components.
Last edited by Leloby on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amadeus

by Amadeus

@Leloby
What you write about aerodynamics is complete out of league and simply not true! This is a completely exaggerated personal view and has nothing in common with reality. Aerodynamics beat weight almost everywhere except on steep hills and long (steep) climbs.

Above 30km/ph riding speed the wheel-aerodynamics really start to count and a noticeable effort is already made above 20-25km/ph.

About spoke breaking in wheels that feature deep section carbon rims:Indeed low spoke count front wheels 16-18 spokes tend to be in trouble when a spoke breaks. Most of the time 20 spokes is no problem at all. Zipp clinchers are less vulnerable to this since they feature aluminium rim part that fits the clincher. This makes a heavier but also stiffer rim. Though I am not a Zipp fan (and that is my personal opinion).

Corima rims are strong enough to hold its wheel when a spoke breaks even at a low spoke count at 18 spokes (even with over 80kg rider weight). If you are racing I would recommend minimum 18 to 20 spokes in the front wheel. So if a spoke breaks your wheel configuration stays intact and you can finish or ride further until you get another wheel.

By the way:
The Mavic Cosmic Carbone is very strong even at 16 spokes in front. I once broke a front wheel spoke myself. The wheel slightly touched the fork but I was able to ride the last 85km with this wheel and bring it home in one piece. But that is not a Carbon rim but an aluminium rim with a carbon cover.

With the Reynolds wheels you are right at low spoke count these tend to loose their complete stiffness if a spoke breaks but so are LEW’s and Zipp’s at 16-18 spokes front…. For these brands I would say if you are light rider 18 spokes could be O.K. If you are over 80 kg take a wheel with at least 20 spokes in the front (even on Zipp 404 rims or other brands that are over 50mm deep). Safety first…..

What you do describe about a rear wheel failure I have never seen or experienced. And I have seen several rear wheel spokes break! But then I don’t build or recommend less then 28 spokes in a rear wheel (preferable 32). In a rear wheel the spoke count is less of an issue since aerodynamics is less important there.

What you write about the spoke issues is mostly solved by EDGE Composites by moulding in the spoke holes and not drilling these (drilling weakens the rimm structure).

@Jakomait
A- If you want bomb proof and fast aerodynamic wheel….. then take the extra 170grams and buy Mavic Cosmic Carbone!

B- If you really want a wheel set under 1600 gram and fast and reliable wheels….. then buy Corima Aero (not as Bomb proof as the Mavic Comics’ but a real good and reliable wheel/rim). Take 18 or 20 spokes front and 28 or 32 rear.

C- If you are not in a hurry and have money to spend … Well just wait a little and buy EDGE Composites clincher type 1.38 (or real fast 1.68 ). These EDGE Composites are new and nobody has experience with these EDGE Composites clincher rims yet. But the 2.0 series are available already for quite some time and in carbon Jake knows a thing or two (also delivering frame tubes to Parlee and building EDGE forks for instance). Anyways EDGE has done a thorough job in designing testing and redesigning these rims.

I do believe they will come out with a real good product eventually.

About your choice for clinchers ……
YOU ARE RIGHT!
Tubulars or tubs are the Mastodon’s of this cycling age and eventually will disappear……
If you want tub comfort buy open tubular that fit clincher rims from Veloflex, Deda Tre, Challenge or Vittoria…… Less flats then tubs but same comfort ….. but not as durable as good clinchers (due to less rubber on the thread they are comfortable but wear faster).
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WeightMunk

by WeightMunk

williams 50c

50mm profile
full carbon clincher
mine are just under 1600gms (i weighed)
(just) under $1,000

mine ride well, are stiff laterally. i've been racing on them for a year now - no complaints.