Anyone else have this problem with rim plugs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VT to CA

by VT to CA

So I installed rim plugs, and now my tire bead doesn't have enough room to seat in the area directly above the tubes valve...

This seems to be exactly the opposite of what should be happening...

rim plugs = lower seating of the tube than rim strips = more room for the tire bead to seat... above the valve or otherwise.

What the f*ck is going on?! :x

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

I'm not exactly sure what you are describing. But something isn't right. I have been using the plugs for almost a year and have changed a few tires. I find them to work well and take less room than tape. The only problem I had was the valve hole was a little sharp and eventually tore into the tube. So first I punched a hole in some duct tape and put it over the hole and that worked but I noticed after I changed a tire it was starting to curl off. So I had a small 1"piece of rim tape and punched a hole in that and put it over the valve hole.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

journeymonk

by journeymonk

Are you using VeloPlugs? If you are, I assume you're mounting them lengthwise across the rim?

Also, beyond the valve hole, check where your rim seam is (usually opposite the valve hole). Some models have one or two holes here that can also cause you a puncture. Like VT to CA, I suggest a short strip of rim tape, too.

I completely missed these small holes on my AC 350s and this oversight cost me a good tube and being dropped on the way home (thankfully, I was near my LBS). Please do check.

Safe riding.

- mon -
"Truth is a pathless land." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

6.29 kg and dropping...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=89221