Which alloy handlebar for climber?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

STARNUT

by STARNUT

Mr.Z

I currently have the deda supernatural. It is made for shimano hoods (has a little divit for them), and sizes 42,43,44, and 46 o-o. I've used a 43, 31.6, and an italian drop and it came in at 235grams. FWIW, my EC90s were supposed to be 195grams and came in at 220grams in a 42/31.6. So, 15 grams isn't a lot considering. They firt so well with DA hoods, compleatly flat transition. Plus, they're only $100 retail They are significantly stiffer then my ec90s. I don't think they make a 26.0 clamp. If I remember correctly your running DA on your Arin, or not?

The newton is also good and comes in 3 shapes and is a little lighter.

Starnut

Edit: bicirace.com did a good review of them here.
http://www.bicirace.com/product/2006/DedaBarsStem.html
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

jeremyb

by jeremyb

TTT Prima 199=199 grams. I dont like the shape of the drop a lot, but its light and can be had cheap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Greyham

by Greyham

check out the fsa RD-200, around 200gms, and cheap. Not the stiffest thing ever but not terrible. If you want more stiffness you can get the RD-250, extra 50gms heavier (and cheaper yet!)

very highly recommended by myself, makes for a damn fine lever position, you can get perfect flat top.

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Starnut - I switched from Shimano to Campy about 2 months ago... so looking for a bar that works well with Campy Ergopower's... That's the only thing I miss about Shimano... the nuts comfortable (for me) STI hoods... If I have Campy's mounted like they're meant to be, I feel like I'm falling off the front of my bike.

Sprinter

by Sprinter

I second the 3T Less. V stiff. Good flat section for climbing. The drops are better than most for sprinting.

Amadeus

by Amadeus

Mike,

I just did read the "Tour" test of Pro bikes.

Uwe Pechel (ex Pro) says; he liked the Deda Campione and Arimo stem combi of the Iles Baleares Pinarello beacause of the flat overflow from handle bar to shifters (seems that I am not alone in this).
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

kgt

by kgt

I vote also for 3TTT less...classic looks and 215gr at 46cm verified.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

Paul_nl wrote:What about the Easton EA70?

This winter I want to build a quality bomb proof alu bike. I had an EA70 in mind with an Ritchey WCS 4-axis stem on a CAAD9 frame with dura ace.

The EA70 is a very good bar. I'm using it with Ergo's and like it, though I don't know how well it sets up with STI's. I'd recommend an Oval Concepts R700 stem with this bar - makes everything plenty stiff and not too heavy:

R700 110mm.: 136g. actual w. OEM bolts & bar cap.
EA70 44cm. C-to-C: 217g. actual.
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

Red October

by Red October

Mike, which handlebar did you decide on?

I'm in a similar situation, looking for an alloy handlebar for a campy setup.

mzagorski

by mzagorski

For now I'm sticking with my Zipp bar... The shape just about works for me and I don't want to make any equipment changes so close to the end of my season that will result in some position changes... Sounds like Deda might be the way to go...

Red October

by Red October

That's true...

Thanks, was leaning toward Deda as well, between the Newton or Magic. Hopefully they're campy-friendly

Amadeus

by Amadeus

Mzagorski,

I dit put a DEDA Alanera on my GIOS and will put the Campione with Arimo stem on my Ridley Pheaton.

When the Pheaton is ready (in a few weeks) I will show the pictures.
The Campione is real racing style handle bar I like it very much.

Red October:
The DEDA Magic and Newton are both Campagnolo friendly. For a easy position on the handle bar and the hoods I would go for the Magic.
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

Boonen

by Boonen

If you like the shape of the Zipp bars, I found the FSA RD200 to be quite simular as for the positioning of the brake levers. If you like a flat transition from the bars to the shifters and use campy I can only recommend these. I posted some pictures from the side earlier, can't re-post new one's as I don't have them on the computer I'm on now so do a search if you want to see them.