Time road pedals - new design coming?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I see that many places have the Time Xpro pedals for sale at a big discount with much reduced stock so I'm assuming that there is a new design or model forthcoming from them.

Has anyone seen or heard of a new design and when we might see it publicly? I wonder if it might be tied to the upcoming release of new SRAM Red components.

AJS914

by AJS914

Or there is such a giant over supply of parts in the system and companies are dumping everything?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SapphireSphinx

by SapphireSphinx

Yeah, I've noticed that too! Time Xpro pedals are very smooth and it is not common to find them on discount like this. Regarding a fresh design, there is no official announcement so far, however, the rumors are circulating. Commonly, observing such discounts indicates that there could be something new coming soon. You could be correct about the SRAM Red parts. It is common for companies to plan their launches at similar times. I will watch for any news from Time or SRAM in the next months.

RDY

by RDY

They've been on clearance for nearly a year now in Europe. And it's not just Xpro, it's all Time pedals. Most models are finally discontinued now ... so either SRAM are about to completely relaunch Time, or they're dumping the brand. I know which I think is more likely.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

RDY wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:14 am
They've been on clearance for nearly a year now in Europe. And it's not just Xpro, it's all Time pedals. Most models are finally discontinued now ... so either SRAM are about to completely relaunch Time, or they're dumping the brand. I know which I think is more likely.
I'd be amazed if it's the latter. SRAM have just this season got most of the teams they sponsor (except Visma who SP paid big dollars to) on their Time pedals. Movistar, the Trek mens and womens teams, Canyon-SRAM and SD Worx are all on them this season.

I can't imagine they'd be considering killing the brand just as they made a big effort to increase their visibility. Then again, dumb things have been done before.

alexanderp1991

by alexanderp1991

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:27 am
RDY wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:14 am
I'd be amazed if it's the latter. SRAM have just this season got most of the teams they sponsor (except Visma who SP paid big dollars to) on their Time pedals. Movistar, the Trek mens and womens teams, Canyon-SRAM and SD Worx are all on them this season.

I can't imagine they'd be considering killing the brand just as they made a big effort to increase their visibility. Then again, dumb things have been done before.
I'm really hoping they make a power metre with Quarq. Time pedals could be excellent with a bit more refining (bearings mainly although the cover on my xpro split somehow and I've never dropped the bike). And Quarq make excellent power metres, my old dzero is far better than anything avaiable for Shimano cranks.
Sram purchased power tap and quickly got rid of them, however they seem to be trying with Time.
Sram have dumped those weird Time gravel pedals though (Cyclo?).

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alexanderp1991 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:45 am

I'm really hoping they make a power metre with Quarq. Time pedals could be excellent with a bit more refining (bearings mainly although the cover on my xpro split somehow and I've never dropped the bike). And Quarq make excellent power metres, my old dzero is far better than anything avaiable for Shimano cranks.
Sram purchased power tap and quickly got rid of them, however they seem to be trying with Time.
Sram have dumped those weird Time gravel pedals though (Cyclo?).

SRAM bought PowerTap because they had a patent on power meter chainrings.

ipaul

by ipaul

Just to add to the discussion, noticed in a recent Velo video, a team Tudor (wahoo equiped) mechanic mentioned all new riders coming to the team are going to be on Time pedals, such as Matteo Trentin who is currently using the Xpro's. That would indicate Sram equiped teams are being required to be on Time pedals so not going anywhere would be my guess.
:P

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I'd also add that Sram no longer has the Xpro12 or Xpro15 listed in their b2b. Nothing above the Xpro10 can be ordered direct. If they had an oversupply issue with them, they'd still be selling them. To me it has all the hallmarks of a new version coming.

spartan

by spartan

i hope they fixed the weak link in the previous design. the cleats. they need to bring back the old all metal cleats circa 1990's.

madcow wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:43 pm
I'd also add that Sram no longer has the Xpro12 or Xpro15 listed in their b2b. Nothing above the Xpro10 can be ordered direct. If they had an oversupply issue with them, they'd still be selling them. To me it has all the hallmarks of a new version coming.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

SRAM, if you're reading this thread, please give us a non-centering cleat option. A true free-floating cleat would be amazing.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

whataboutEee wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:25 pm
SRAM, if you're reading this thread, please give us a non-centering cleat option. A true free-floating cleat would be amazing.
And without the 2.5mm lateral movement too. Just the rotational float, please.

boots2000

by boots2000

Early 90's Time pedals and also the Time shoes (white ones with the wide toe box) were amazing. Bring back modern vertsions of these!

diestel

by diestel

boots2000 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:12 pm
Early 90's Time pedals and also the Time shoes (white ones with the wide toe box) were amazing. Bring back modern vertsions of these!
I started using Time pedals and shoes in the late 80´s, then tried RXS for a while and returned to the initial design. Later I was using Xpresso and XPro. 2 years ago I returned to TIME Equipe Pro pedals. For some time I bought every pedal and all cleats I could get. The big issue are shoes with the 4 hole sole. At the moment I am using new Mavic shoes with modified Sidi adapters from the 90´s. Meanwhile I have cleats and Sidi adapter as step files for 3Dprinting or maching the parts.

Writing that shows how much I prefer the initial Time design over the new stuff.

I am interested in the expected new Time pedals but this time I will not sell my good old Time pedals. If the new design does not work for me, maybe I need some of them as samples for a redesign. Lighter and with matching shoes or with cleats for 3 hole soles they could return to cycling. At least in my opinion.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

diestel wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:29 pm
boots2000 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:12 pm
I started using Time pedals and shoes in the late 80´s, then tried RXS for a while and returned to the initial design. Later I was using Xpresso and XPro. 2 years ago I returned to TIME Equipe Pro pedals. For some time I bought every pedal and all cleats I could get. The big issue are shoes with the 4 hole sole. At the moment I am using new Mavic shoes with modified Sidi adapters from the 90´s. Meanwhile I have cleats and Sidi adapter as step files for 3Dprinting or maching the parts.

Writing that shows how much I prefer the initial Time design over the new stuff.

I am interested in the expected new Time pedals but this time I will not sell my good old Time pedals. If the new design does not work for me, maybe I need some of them as samples for a redesign. Lighter and with matching shoes or with cleats for 3 hole soles they could return to cycling. At least in my opinion.
I recall that Time used to make their own adaptor plate to allow their cleats to be fitted to delta bolt patterned shoes. Have you tried hunting for those?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com