Roval Rapide Cockpit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

squiresm

by squiresm

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:59 am
squiresm wrote:Hey guys, I’m looking to build an SL8 with Roval cockpit and would appreciate any advice. First time with a Specialized bike so I’m a bit unsure with sizing.

Currently I ride a size 56 Emonda with a 90x400 integrated Bontrager cockpit. If I were to build a 56 SL8 with the Roval bars, any views on whether the same size bar and stem would be suitable? I’m aware the bar reach on the Roval differs vs the Bontrager, so wasn’t sure if a longer stem would be advisable.

I visited my local Specialized shop to get their input which was basically that the two brands are the same in terms of size and therefore I should just keep the same measurements, but they didn’t fill me with confidence so I’d appreciate any other views!
Not sure if it applies to integrated, but some Bontrager bars have 100mm reach. Way more than most competitors so take that into account if needed fit wise.
Thanks, yeah that's the case for the integrated bars too, whereas I've seen the Roval is 75mm.

So if I'm interpreting the numbers correctly, does that effectively imply I'd need a stem that's 20mm longer to create the same fit, given the Tarmac frame reach is approx 5mm longer? Or would it not be that linear in practice?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

squiresm wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:
squiresm wrote:Hey guys, I’m looking to build an SL8 with Roval cockpit and would appreciate any advice. First time with a Specialized bike so I’m a bit unsure with sizing.

Currently I ride a size 56 Emonda with a 90x400 integrated Bontrager cockpit. If I were to build a 56 SL8 with the Roval bars, any views on whether the same size bar and stem would be suitable? I’m aware the bar reach on the Roval differs vs the Bontrager, so wasn’t sure if a longer stem would be advisable.

I visited my local Specialized shop to get their input which was basically that the two brands are the same in terms of size and therefore I should just keep the same measurements, but they didn’t fill me with confidence so I’d appreciate any other views!
Not sure if it applies to integrated, but some Bontrager bars have 100mm reach. Way more than most competitors so take that into account if needed fit wise.
Thanks, yeah that's the case for the integrated bars too, whereas I've seen the Roval is 75mm.

So if I'm interpreting the numbers correctly, does that effectively imply I'd need a stem that's 20mm longer to create the same fit, given the Tarmac frame reach is approx 5mm longer? Or would it not be that linear in practice?
I'm of the camp that says it is that linear. I can really tell the difference in my own experiences and fits. I've always liked Bontrager bars for that extra 20 and sometimes 30mm.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Sander7721

by Sander7721

mistermistermayor wrote:https://tipartstitanium.com/products/ti ... 6122344748

anyone used this topcap bolt and know if it sits more flush? looks like it based on their photos, but then again specialized's own pictures don't show the issue so can't be sure. cheaper than the other options I've seen discussed here so curious if it'd solve it.
That’s a bolt set only with no cap. Bolt spits the same Extralite bolt is tidy Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SL8 Maganta 54CM 6kgs
Winspace SLC 2.0

squiresm

by squiresm

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:19 pm
squiresm wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:

I'm of the camp that says it is that linear. I can really tell the difference in my own experiences and fits. I've always liked Bontrager bars for that extra 20 and sometimes 30mm.
Thanks, that's helpful to know. I've been on Trek bikes for about 6 years now and haven't really sampled many other brands in terms of equipment and sizing, so appreciate your input!

BudhaNL

by BudhaNL

Sander7721 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:08 pm

anyone used this topcap bolt and know if it sits more flush? looks like it based on their photos, but then again specialized's own pictures don't show the issue so can't be sure. cheaper than the other options I've seen discussed here so curious if it'd solve it.
That’s a bolt set only with no cap. Bolt spits the same Extralite bolt is tidy Image

Looking for the best solution for my RRC at the moment. If I read the thread well there's the following options for a flush appearance:
  • Be lucky with the original bolt from the cockpit
  • Source an SL7/Aethos bolt which will sit flush
  • The Extralite bolt (can't find it bolt only unfortunately on their website, not under spare parts?)
  • That tiparts titanium bolt (also available as single bolt only) & hope that it will fit more like SL7/Aethos bolt then RRC bolt
The tiparts titanium bolt is available in oilslick which would complement my Venge with oilslick logo's rather well so that's my preference. f it would fit flush, that is.

Sander7721

by Sander7721

BudhaNL wrote:
Sander7721 wrote:

Looking for the best solution for my RRC at the moment. If I read the thread well there's the following options for a flush appearance:
  • The Extralite bolt (can't find it bolt only unfortunately on their website, not under spare parts?)
  • That tiparts titanium bolt (also available as single bolt only) & hope that it will fit more like SL7/Aethos bolt then RRC bolt
The tiparts titanium bolt is available in oilslick which would complement my Venge with oilslick logo's rather well so that's my preference. f it would fit flush, that is.
Where are you located
I got an extralite bolt bought it from a French website
I bought the HypercCap to get the bolt

SL8 Maganta 54CM 6kgs
Winspace SLC 2.0

Sander7721

by Sander7721

SL8 Maganta 54CM 6kgs
Winspace SLC 2.0

Sander7721

by Sander7721

SL8 Maganta 54CM 6kgs
Winspace SLC 2.0

Sander7721

by Sander7721

SL8 Maganta 54CM 6kgs
Winspace SLC 2.0

Seamanatorr

by Seamanatorr

BudhaNL wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:58 pm
Sander7721 wrote:

That’s a bolt set only with no cap. Bolt spits the same Extralite bolt is tidy

For my SL7 I have treid the following
-SL7 S-Works stem bolt from my build
-Aethos top cap bolt
-Better Bolts titanium top cap bolt
-Stock Roval Rapide bolt
-Extralite bolt

The Extralite bolt is the only one that works. Do we think the Seat Tube Angle based on size is the issue? When my LBS installed the combo using either the SL7 bolt or combo bolt it looked terrible.
S-Works SL7 RTP

Sander7721

by Sander7721

Sorry guys the app playing up so multiple posts.
I upgrade these last year the Extralite bolt should be black but that's what was sent :noidea:
Attachments
IMG_1863.jpeg
IMG_1863.jpeg (53.44 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_1862.jpeg
IMG_1862.jpeg (54.62 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_1861.jpeg
IMG_1861.jpeg (44.05 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_1858.jpeg
IMG_1858.jpeg (41.43 KiB) Viewed 672 times
SL8 Maganta 54CM 6kgs
Winspace SLC 2.0

BudhaNL

by BudhaNL

Sander7721 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:20 pm

Where are you located

I'm in the Netherlands. You're UK-based right?

Sander7721

by Sander7721

BudhaNL wrote:
Sander7721 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:20 pm

Where are you located

I'm in the Netherlands. You're UK-based right?
Yes
Order the bolt from here well the Cap and bolt

https://www.dulight.fr/en/recherche?con ... y=Hypercap

Also I am planning to sell the 3k carbon cap pictured

SL8 Maganta 54CM 6kgs
Winspace SLC 2.0

alanyu

by alanyu

Countersunk bolt with small head will sit flush. You can buy Tune Ahead cap, or its copy on AliExpress, but just use the bolt it comes with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mistermistermayor

by mistermistermayor

I wish there were an option besides the extra lite bolt. I don't love the fact that it's hollow and can let water etc into the fork. Based on seeing someone else file down their stock bolt to get it flush it seems like a bolt with just a slightly different head shape would do the trick, so was hopeful the tiparts might have just that shape. sounds like the betterbolts one is the same shape as stock so it's probably not likely unfortunately. not too expensive to just try and see I suppose!