NEW Trek Emonda ALR 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fizzaz

by fizzaz

rothwem wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:56 pm
fizzaz wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:48 pm
I want to dig back up the possibility of the Sworks Tarmac Sl7 stem. I'm thinking it is possible and would fit the look of the bike really really well.

That stem is the best solution for semi integrated routing available in terms of weight and functionality.
Since this is weight weenies, I should mention that the SL7 stem is an f-ing boat anchor. It does look pretty clean though.
It is not lightweight, but it is far and away better than the Trek or FSA stems that are somehow even worse. At least the spacers integrate into an aero shape.

Does anyone know of an adapter to a round top cap like the alr?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rothwem

by rothwem

The position with the 6 degree stem wasn't low enough--I knew it wouldn't be when I used the stock spacer. My $20 Kalloy Uno -17 degree stem came in and I installed it. I haven't had a chance to ride it outside with the -17, but the position feels good on the trainer.

It does look stupid though. Is it weird that I kinda want to sell this bike because it looks dumb?
IMG_1607.jpeg

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

rothwem wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:04 pm
The position with the 6 degree stem wasn't low enough--I knew it wouldn't be when I used the stock spacer. My $20 Kalloy Uno -17 degree stem came in and I installed it. I haven't had a chance to ride it outside with the -17, but the position feels good on the trainer.

It does look stupid though. Is it weird that I kinda want to sell this bike because it looks dumb?
IMG_1607.jpeg
I'm not sure what looks dumb here, but if you want to offload this "stupid" bike what size is it? I don't mind looking dumb.

rothwem

by rothwem

BikeTyson wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:53 pm
rothwem wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:04 pm

IMG_1607.jpeg
I'm not sure what looks dumb here, but if you want to offload this "stupid" bike what size is it? I don't mind looking dumb.
Hah, it's a 58cm. I'm mostly referring to the -17 stem that is drooping down because the steerer tube is steeper than 73*, it looks a bit awkward to my eye.

Finally got a chance to ride it though, and -17 is too low. Going to stack some spacers for now and it's going to look weird until I decide what the proper stem angle should be.

I'll give it a couple months before I make a decision on selling it, I need to get the contact points in the same spot as my Cannondale and go from there.

Amerikaner

by Amerikaner

Thomson X2 and Pro PLT stems are available in 10 degrees...with a 120mm stem that would be about an 8mm drop from as 6 degree stem.

rothwem

by rothwem

Amerikaner wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:25 pm
Thomson X2 and Pro PLT stems are available in 10 degrees...with a 120mm stem that would be about an 8mm drop from as 6 degree stem.
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I guess when the stem gets long (I'm using a 130mm) the angle makes a ton of difference. If my trig is right, a -17° stem is 24mm lower than a -6° on a 73.8° HTA. A 12° would be 13mm lower and a 10° would be 9mm.

I put a 10mm spacer under the 17 degree stem and feels pretty good, so it looks like I need a 10-12° stem.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

rothwem wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:21 pm
Amerikaner wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:25 pm
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I guess when the stem gets long (I'm using a 130mm) the angle makes a ton of difference. If my trig is right, a -17° stem is 24mm lower than a -6° on a 73.8° HTA. A 12° would be 13mm lower and a 10° would be 9mm.

I put a 10mm spacer under the 17 degree stem and feels pretty good, so it looks like I need a 10-12° stem.
I also ride a -17 stem. Wait unil you get a -20 stem :lol: , then we can talk of the looks!!
Part from that, you should keep the bike. If you want to sit more upright, you can always swap stems.
I would easily keep it if i had it.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

apr46

by apr46

justdank wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:18 pm
Keep us updated on the Domane ring top cap, I just grabbed one from the trek store. Much easier to acquire than the 36 c-ring
It's orderable. I have a couple on hand as well.

https://aprotobike.com/products/copy-of ... s-acr-stem

justdank

by justdank

apr46 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:16 pm
justdank wrote:
Keep us updated on the Domane ring top cap, I just grabbed one from the trek store. Much easier to acquire than the 36 c-ring

Nice work, looks clean.

Do you have any photos of it on the bike?

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Not sure if this was wholly clarified early in the thread, but am I right in thinking Trek's stated stack height does not include the bearing top cap, which is 15mm (and in a 54 will therefore add ~13 mm to the stack height)?

I called Trek UK for clarification and they, ahem, weren't clear. :noidea:

If it doesn't include it, I might need to drop down a size. Any definitive guidance would be appreciated - thanks.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

It does not include it. All new integrated frames have this problem.

rothwem

by rothwem

raggedtrousers wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:46 pm
Not sure if this was wholly clarified early in the thread, but am I right in thinking Trek's stated stack height does not include the bearing top cap, which is 15mm (and in a 54 will therefore add ~13 mm to the stack height)?

I called Trek UK for clarification and they, ahem, weren't clear. :noidea:

If it doesn't include it, I might need to drop down a size. Any definitive guidance would be appreciated - thanks.
Yeah, like the poster just above said, it doesn't include it, which is annoying. It's kinda messed up my fit on this bike. I've got a -12 stem on the way, but it makes the advertised "H1.5" fit the same as the old H2 fit.

And btw it's more like 18mm of stack.

At some point I need to suck it up and accept I'm going to have to rewrap my bars and bleed my brakes and just get the aprotobike low stack one.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Thanks - exactly the situation I'm trying to avoid...

morrisond

by morrisond

What is the best solution to make an ENVE In-Route system Bar/Stem or Stem work with the ALR so all the cables are completely hidden? Just use ENVE's top Cap and Spacers?

apr46

by apr46

justdank wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:02 pm
apr46 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:16 pm
justdank wrote:

Nice work, looks clean.

Do you have any photos of it on the bike?
Still waiting on complete build photos. They look pretty much the same as the ones that Flicker Racing has on their bikes. Its slightly lower profile, but gap from the headset to the frame is a little more variable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com