New Cervelo Soloist Spotted...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KickingWing41

by KickingWing41

Speaking of seatpost, how has everyone gotten along with this bike comfort wise?

I was pretty set on a Caledonia but am now torn between R5 and Soloist instead. The D shape seatpost on the R5 seems like it would be a bit more comfortable than the Soloist seatpost, but that's just speculation. The R5 top tube also seems to slope a bit more and would have more exposed seatpost which would also allow for more deflection maybe?

I'm leaning R5, but would love to hear any feedback.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Comfort has a lot of confounding factors, including fit and contact points, of course, and your personal issues. I think the marginal difference in frames between those three would be overwhelmed by wheels and tire pressure, as well as what's hitting your butt and hands.

My personal experience is that I could instantly be so much more comfortable on the Soloist than my last race bike, as soon as I hit the crappy roads here. But that was going from older Shimano Al wheels to wider Reserve wheels and lower pressure, as well as a better fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KickingWing41

by KickingWing41

Thanks! The geometry will allow for the same position on either bike. I'll also use the same carbon Shimano wheels with 30s regardless.

I guess I was looking for pros/cons between the frames themselves with the position, wheels, tires, pressure, etc all held constant. But to your point, maybe with the differences being so marginal and dependent more on tires/pressure then I should go with the R5 since I live in a hilly ish area and like climbing.

RobVicRider

by RobVicRider

Hello everyone, showing off my Cervelo Soloist.

Ultegra DI2 11spd group
Ultegra waxed chain
Enve SES 4.5 (hooked) wheels w/ 25c rubber
130mm Deda Zero100 stem
Deda Superzero Elementi 42cm handlebar
Look Keo pedals
FIZIK Antares Versus Evo 00 Adaptive Saddle
Lightweight bottle cages
7.7 kg (17lbs) w/ pedals, cages and computer mount
Attachments
PXL_20231214_161926445.jpg
PXL_20231214_161819246.jpg
PXL_20231214_161610362.jpg

Spaetzle

by Spaetzle

Looking good. Congrats for the new bike.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Nice! Hope you love it and use it well.

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

RobVicRider wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:30 pm
Hello everyone, showing off my Cervelo Soloist.

Ultegra DI2 11spd group
Ultegra waxed chain
Enve SES 4.5 (hooked) wheels w/ 25c rubber
130mm Deda Zero100 stem
Deda Superzero Elementi 42cm handlebar
Look Keo pedals
FIZIK Antares Versus Evo 00 Adaptive Saddle
Lightweight bottle cages
7.7 kg (17lbs) w/ pedals, cages and computer mount
Looks awesome!! What size is that? Looks to be a 51 or 54.

Is it too much to ask for you to give the actual top tube length? Or better yet. The slope of the top tube. From the pictures it looks almost horizontal (which i love) but was interested to know for sure.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

As the owner of a 51 in that color, it kind of looks like a 51? But I could easily be wrong. If you want the measure at that size, I can help.

With the caveat that nothing in my apartment (or local streets) is level, I'm measuring at most a 3 degree slope to the TT, which measures C-C at around 53.5cm.

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

twoangstroms wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:03 pm
As the owner of a 51 in that color, it kind of looks like a 51? But I could easily be wrong. If you want the measure at that size, I can help.

With the caveat that nothing in my apartment (or local streets) is level, I'm measuring at most a 3 degree slope to the TT, which measures C-C at around 53.5cm.
Thank you, despite my size being 54 that really helps.

I found this Bike Insights page that show the slope of the top tube.
https://bikeinsights.com/bikes/6341c483 ... rsion=2023
The value that you gave for the actual top tube is really similar.

The Soloist must be the modern bike with the most "horizontal" top tube across all sizes no?

dantsai

by dantsai

Giant Propel might be a good comparison there too, it's pretty horizontal. I don't have any numbers though.

RobVicRider

by RobVicRider

theOrtherion wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:20 pm

Is it too much to ask for you to give the actual top tube length? Or better yet. The slope of the top tube. From the pictures it looks almost horizontal (which i love) but was interested to know for sure.
It's a 54. Top tube seems nearly horizontal. I love the horizantal top tube look. It's 548mm

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

RobVicRider wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:27 pm
theOrtherion wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:20 pm

It's a 54. Top tube seems nearly horizontal. I love the horizantal top tube look. It's 548mm
Thank you for the info.

One last question as i feel im hijacking the thread. Anyone that rode with the Soloist tried a Focus Izalco Max (the previous model from 2019 to 2023) that can give some impressions between the two? I currently have an Izalco Max that im looking to sell to fund the Soloist.

RobVicRider

by RobVicRider

theOrtherion wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:58 am

One last question as i feel im hijacking the thread. Anyone that rode with the Soloist tried a Focus Izalco Max (the previous model from 2019 to 2023) that can give some impressions between the two? I currently have an Izalco Max that im looking to sell to fund the Soloist.
Yes, the difference is going to be imperceptible in terms of frame weight, and aeroness. The focus felt bigger to me though, and Geometry Geeks agrees that a 54cm focus is a few mm larger than 54cm Soloist.

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

RobVicRider wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:19 pm
theOrtherion wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:58 am

Yes, the difference is going to be imperceptible in terms of frame weight, and aeroness. The focus felt bigger to me though, and Geometry Geeks agrees that a 54cm focus is a few mm larger than 54cm Soloist.
What about ride feel? Did you feel that one are more responsive than the other? I always felt that my Focus was really good descender but at the same time always felt that the front end was somewhat not "stiff". Climbing out of saddle almost always ment disc rub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RobVicRider

by RobVicRider

theOrtherion wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:54 pm

What about ride feel?
Very hard to distinguish between any changes to the frame and changes in feel due to wheels and tires as wheels and tires have a much greater impact to ride feel than the marginal differences between high end frames. I think the front end of the soloist may feel slightly stiffer? But again very very hard to tell and someone riding the bike may have a different opinion. Really splitting hairs at this point.