Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KickingWing41

by KickingWing41

exige wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:20 pm
KickingWing41 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:39 pm
Has anyone heard anything about 2024 models? Colors or design changes? I've been going back and forth on ordering a Caledonia 5 but part of me is holding out for Soloist style cable routing in a possible redesign. It seems like the Caledonia 5 should get under the stem routing for the same reasons as the Soloist: easy travel and fit changes for someone without a team mechanic.
I was concerned about the potential travel issue before getting my Cale 5, but I'm pleased to report it isn't a problem with the standard bars and stem. Providing the bike has been built with a bit of slack in the hoses, it is no problem to unbolt the bars and rotate them downwards. Mine goes straight in a Bike Box Allan, and that is with a 58 frame and 42cm bars. No idea what is coming in 2024 but personally I really like the super clean looks of the current Cale 5 front end.
That sounds promising! How much weight did you save with the saddle clamp change?
Last edited by KickingWing41 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exige

by exige

KickingWing41 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:53 pm

That sounds promising! Your bike is awesome btw! I love that black sparkly color. How much weight did you save with the saddle clamp change?

I was looking around at some other bikes and noticed the FSA setup on the Vitus Venon. I checked out the FSA site and it's called an SMR and it has Soloist style routing. There's an adapter that sits on top of the ACR Caledonia cone spacer, so that is an option for a flexible setup. It just won't look as clean as the Cervelo stem. I think I'll go for the Caledonia 5 knowing that if needed I can swap to the FSA setup.
Didn't save much with the clamp to be honest, around 30g. Biggest weight saving by far over the standard spec was GP5000 clinchers and TPU tubes, but I'm in a minority these days of not liking tubeless (been there, done that, got the sealant splattered T shirt :D ) .

As more and more bikes go to fully internal routing I reckon we'll see a wider range of after market stem/bar options for bikes like the Cale 5.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KickingWing41

by KickingWing41

Haha I'm with you on the road tubeless. I've been using those TPU tubes for a while with no problems and a spare is super light and takes hardly any space in a saddle bag.

Also that's an impressive weight for a 58! Already lighter than my current bike in 54. Has me thinking the 54 Cal5 will be a nice savings over my current bike!
Last edited by KickingWing41 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KickingWing41

by KickingWing41

Another double post..

joshgue

by joshgue

2023 Cervelo Caledonia 5
6.9kg

Size 56cm
- Frame, Fork & Thru Axles: Cervelo Caledonia-5 1,449g
- Wheels: Hunt 50 1490g
- Shifters: Force AXS 303g
- Rear Der: Force AXS 326g
- Cassette: Sram Red 10-33 211g
- Chain: Red Flat Top 245g
- Crankset: Sram Red AXS 335g
- Brake Callipers: TRP Sphyre 323g
- Brake Rotors: Shimano Dura Ace 190g
- Tires: GP5000 28mm 480g
- Tubes: Pirelli Smart Tubes 70g
- Handlebars: DIY Carbon Bar/Stem 335g
- Bar Tape: Lightweight 50g
- Pedals: Xpedo Thrust SL163g
- Seat Post: Cervelo SP24 199g
- Saddle: Ali C-59 104g
- Bottom Bracket: SRAM Dub 76g
- Chainring: Garbaruk: 81g
- Bottle Cages: Topeka Feza R10 20g (10g ea)

Couple notes:
D Shaped steerer isn't an issue whatsoever. Any stem and bar works with it, just throw in a regular spacer between the aero spacers and your stem so the headset tightens properly.
Stock axles are surprisingly light, coming in at R: 29g F: 23g

Wheels will be changed soon to Elite Drive 40D 1260g
Handlebars and stem will be changed to Extralite Hyperstem 74g & Ali Bars 141g
Those items should drop it to 6.5kg
Attachments
IMG_0002.jpeg
IMG_0003.jpeg
IMG_0004.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg
Cervelo Caledonia 5 - 6.9kg
Sekine Custom SS - 8.6kg

KickingWing41

by KickingWing41

Still haven't pulled the trigger on a Caledonia, but I noticed this when searching last night:

https://www.winterparkcycles.com/caledo ... quantity=1

12 speed mechanical 105 Caledonia in two new colors.
Last edited by KickingWing41 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

joshgue wrote:2023 Cervelo Caledonia 5
6.9kg

Size 56cm
- Frame, Fork & Thru Axles: Cervelo Caledonia-5 1,449g
- Wheels: Hunt 50 1490g
- Shifters: Force AXS 303g
- Rear Der: Force AXS 326g
- Cassette: Sram Red 10-33 211g
- Chain: Red Flat Top 245g
- Crankset: Sram Red AXS 335g
- Brake Callipers: TRP Sphyre 323g
- Brake Rotors: Shimano Dura Ace 190g
- Tires: GP5000 28mm 480g
- Tubes: Pirelli Smart Tubes 70g
- Handlebars: DIY Carbon Bar/Stem 335g
- Bar Tape: Lightweight 50g
- Pedals: Xpedo Thrust SL163g
- Seat Post: Cervelo SP24 199g
- Saddle: Ali C-59 104g
- Bottom Bracket: SRAM Dub 76g
- Chainring: Garbaruk: 81g
- Bottle Cages: Topeka Feza R10 20g (10g ea)

Couple notes:
D Shaped steerer isn't an issue whatsoever. Any stem and bar works with it, just throw in a regular spacer between the aero spacers and your stem so the headset tightens properly.
Stock axles are surprisingly light, coming in at R: 29g F: 23g

Wheels will be changed soon to Elite Drive 40D 1260g
Handlebars and stem will be changed to Extralite Hyperstem 74g & Ali Bars 141g
Those items should drop it to 6.5kg
What pulley wheel is that on your RD?

KickingWing41

by KickingWing41

Can anyone with a 56 Caledonia measure the seat tube for me? Preferably both C-C and C-TTT measurements? The stack/reach of the 56 look good, but not sure if the seatpost will be slammed for me or not.
Last edited by KickingWing41 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petz

by Petz

In case someone is interested in frame weights, I just got a size 54 Caledonia (non-5) frameset:

Frame: 1100g incl. hardware (RD hanger, clamp, screws, cable covers)
Front Axle: 60g
Rear Axle: 69g
Fork uncut: 435g
Headset: 76g
Expander: 29,1g

Quite heavy IMO, but I guess it's not that bad for the price of the frameset.
I will post some more pictures when the build is finished, unfortunately this will take about a month or so since I just ordered the rims from LB.

bobloblawblogs

by bobloblawblogs

Petz wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:39 pm
In case someone is interested in frame weights, I just got a size 54 Caledonia (non-5) frameset:

Frame: 1100g incl. hardware (RD hanger, clamp, screws, cable covers)
Front Axle: 60g
Rear Axle: 69g
Fork uncut: 435g
Headset: 76g
Expander: 29,1g

Quite heavy IMO, but I guess it's not that bad for the price of the frameset.
I will post some more pictures when the build is finished, unfortunately this will take about a month or so since I just ordered the rims from LB.

Just got the same exact frame as you but a size 54 Caledonia (non-5) with Ultegra DI2 for $4200 :shock: Thanks for posting the weights. I had a canyon grzl gravel before this so it's been great having a proper road bike now. I made a spreadsheet to see where I can shed some weight. Already have some Hunt wheels with 32mm panracer gravelking slicks that I'll use up a bit more before upgrading the GP5000s. Currently at ~8.7kg and would be really happy if I could get it to mid to high 7kgs. Would love some feedback if anyone has on my parts selection that I sourced from various threads.
Attachments
IMG_7446 Large.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 8.29.52 AM.png

Petz

by Petz

Nice colour!
Regarding your parts list, I think there is not much to do without getting too crazy.
Only thing I see potential is the Seatpost: get a roval alpinist, not really expensive and around 130g for the 300mm version
Maybe change rotors to Galfer road? Don't know the weight of the Shimano rotors, but most likely only a few grams to be saved here.
To get rid of the stock axles is really a good idea, easy savings there.

My build will be around 8,2kg incl. pedals. I'm building the bike for a friend and he gave me a budget of 4000€ - so there is really nothing crazy to expect in terms of weight ;)
Groupset will be a mix of Rvial and Force AXS, maybe I can get some Red Cranks for a good price.
Wheels I will build some Light Bicycle WR45 (flyweight) rims with DT Swiss 350 hubs and Sapim CX-Ray/Sprint, a bit less than 1500g for around 750€, not bad but also nothing crazy.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

An elita one seatpost would be lighter again, but only 35 usd, euro etc

bobloblawblogs

by bobloblawblogs

Glad I asked! Thanks @Petz @Steve Curtis. Both the roval alpinist and elita one seatpost are signifantly cheaper than the LS speed seatpost.

Haven't used aliexpress but are these chinese brands safe/reliable? Prob made in the same factory as the more well known brands lol :roll: . Do you think these would reduce comfort? Looking at some cheap 3d printed saddles now as well form the site.

Hunt wheels got me to 8.4kg! including power meter pedals + garmin mount & light.

If I go with the elita one seatpost, seat, tubes, and cassette it should get me ~450grams of savings to sub 8kg. I might go with 30mm vs 32mm tires but don't want to sacrafice any comfort.
IMG_7572.jpg

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I've a few elita one posts on various road, gravel nand MTBs with no issue. It's in the same vein as the Uno stem, it's a bargain.
For reference I use a 27.2/400 on an mtb at virtually max extension, with no problems. I'm 80kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

bobloblawblogs wrote:Glad I asked! Thanks @Petz @Steve Curtis. Both the roval alpinist and elita one seatpost are signifantly cheaper than the LS speed seatpost.

Haven't used aliexpress but are these chinese brands safe/reliable? Prob made in the same factory as the more well known brands lol :roll: . Do you think these would reduce comfort? Looking at some cheap 3d printed saddles now as well form the site.

Hunt wheels got me to 8.4kg! including power meter pedals + garmin mount & light.

If I go with the elita one seatpost, seat, tubes, and cassette it should get me ~450grams of savings to sub 8kg. I might go with 30mm vs 32mm tires but don't want to sacrafice any comfort.
IMG_7572.jpg
Get lighter thru axles instead of the ones w the levers. Should cut out some more weight.

With the Elita seatpost, make sure to put a washer against the carbon from underneath. My friend didn’t have one and the grit from road and wet rides wore the bolt through the slot eventually.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc