SkyPivot——A superlight carbon crankset from China

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cannondale7om

by cannondale7om

StiffWeenies wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:27 am

SkyPivot installed on RED DM chainrings!!
Quite a great build, I think the bike is belongs to a cool dude here in Xiamen.

But unfortunately Incolor is about to discontinue the Sram 8-bolt compatible version spider interface, because they don't want too many SKU. I believe the new batches will only come with Easton type spider interface.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toxin

by toxin

That's dissapointing, sram mount is way more common from what I can tell

liam7020

by liam7020

I'm very interested in one of these Skypivot chainset.

If I opt for the 24mm axle can I use it as a direct replacement for a Shimano DA R9100 without any phlaff - no need for additional spacers, adapters etc? Also can they provide chainrings (52/36) with the crankset and, if so, what's the quality like? Cheers guys.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Is there anywhere to purchase the 8-bolt arms? Doesn't appear Panda Podium has em
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

toxin

by toxin

They discontinued them anyway

moock

by moock

Does anyone know if they plan to release a 175mm crank arm?
I really want to buy one, but i need 175mm...

dsveddy

by dsveddy

xsnailx wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:06 pm
First gen had a problem with pedal inserts, i am happily runing 2 gen replacement for 3 months and they seem to be ok :) - they have a problem with production capacity by oems not with the 2 gen itself
I've come across a 2nd gen skypivot with sigeyi AXO PM on the used market. Can anyone here speak to if they these cranks are still issue-free, or have any issues cropped up with the 2nd gen?

dsveddy

by dsveddy

So I went ahead and bit the bullet, and bought the Gen-2 crankset on the used market

Overall crazy light, 428g with sigeyi PM. It’s only a few grams off the X-novanta with PM

Why I think this crankset version was discontinued:

-This spindle version uses a more standard thread on the preload adjuster, as opposed to Gen 1’s widely-spaced thread. This means that if you’re on a bike with fairly wide BB, the bearings will rest (and wear) on the section of threads they contact. The older threads weren’t so susceptible to wear because there was more surface area between the thread grooves, which this spindle does not have. I expect this crankset to have a limited lifespan for this reason.

-there is a bit of carbon delamination around the pedal thread inserts. There’s nothing to be done about this besides a light application of epoxy, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

Sorry to drag up this topic , but is there anyone who purchased a new set from panda podium?

I placed the order on 19th march and as of today it is not shipped yet

xsnailx

by xsnailx

i went trough all the arms versions and :
1 - the orginal ones bonded insert prone to delamination due to its shape uses v1 spindle with wide thread
2 - upgraded ones with non bonded pedal insert (similar to look trilobe) uses v2 spindle with not wide thread
3 - newest version with bonded pedal insert, not prone to delamination uses v3 spindle with no thread

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

@Sadisticnoob - please can you share a review once you've received yours?

@xsnailx - do you know if the versions being sold by PandaPodium are V2 or V3?

dsveddy

by dsveddy

OlieSimpson wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:24 pm

PP is selling V3. I emailed them not long ago looking for a spare preload adjuster and they say the V2 has been out of production a long time.
Last edited by dsveddy on Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RDY

by RDY

OlieSimpson wrote:

They'll be the new one.

V3 sounds significantly better. I'm not enormously keen on threaded preload adjusters ..

timmerrr

by timmerrr

RDY wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:34 pm
OlieSimpson wrote:

They'll be the new one.

V3 sounds significantly better. I'm not enormously keen on threaded preload adjusters ..
The treaded preload adjuster is an amazing feature. For any crank with this style of attachement (sram, rotor, many chinese cranks) this is by far the best preload system. Sram should take notice.
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

dsveddy

by dsveddy

timmerrr wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:45 pm

The treaded preload adjuster is an amazing feature. For any crank with this style of attachement (sram, rotor, many chinese cranks) this is by far the best preload system. Sram should take notice.
In theory it sounds nice, but given the design revisions, it's clear incolor encountered 2 different problems related to this design.

The spindle threads on V2 appear to be a "standard" pitch fine-thread design. These threads paritally overlap with the hard steel bearing ring, and get marred because they are attempting to transmit the pedaling forces across these fine threads. I suspect that my spindle will not last very long.

The spindle threads on V1 are a wide pitch, in an aparent effort to avoid this problem. Why incolor abanoned this design is beyond me. Maybe it caused stress points, maybe there wasn't enough thread engagement with the preload adjuster, maybe it was too difficult/expensive to manufacture. In any case, I'm sure there was a good reason for letting it go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com