Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by 208

looks fast. i'd use it for sure if it gives speed.

is it just me or does JV still look like he is wearing fairings down his tt suit today?

my personal issue with tt helms that have a long/low visor is i never feel like i can get enough oxygen, like you're breathing in warm, humid, recycled air. my sworks TT5 is like that and the heat from that is compounded by the built in hijab. i'm guessing that might be part of the reason why some of the pros have a short visor for the tt5, although i can't seem to get my hands on one of those shorter visors.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I freaking love it. Give each VLaB rider their own spirit beast art a la skeleton helmets.
Attachments
sub-buzz-1925-1644512321-5.jpg
giro-aerohead2-1.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

voicycle

by voicycle

208 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:36 pm
my sworks TT5 is like that and the heat from that is compounded by the built in hijab. i'm guessing that might be part of the reason why some of the pros have a short visor for the tt5, although i can't seem to get my hands on one of those shorter visors.
Looks like the previous version had some vent holes in the top of the visor. I almost wonder if it would be worth the cash to buy a spare and take a dremel to it to see if you can draw some air over your face. If the aero penalty of a hole is 5w but you can put out an extra 10w by being able to breathe then it would be a worthwhile tradeoff. No real way to tell without a wind tunnel though.

Or I guess if you're modifying a visor anyway you might as well take it to someone who can neatly grind off the bottom and make it into the short version for you. Perhaps that's what they're doing for the pros which would explain why it's not available.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:05 pm
I freaking love it. Give each VLaB rider their own spirit beast art a la skeleton helmets.
Nah, paint their suffer face on it :D

Ritxis

by Ritxis

coming soon............ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Screenshot_2024-03-05-10-48-20-0821851855_EDIT_1.jpg

Ritxis

by Ritxis

my "favorite" the "Vopo" helmet from the old DDR........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You just need matching glasses.
04003060-1-600x399.jpg
04003060-1-600x399.jpg (64.85 KiB) Viewed 1818 times

by 208

voicycle wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:39 am
Looks like the previous version had some vent holes in the top of the visor. I almost wonder if it would be worth the cash to buy a spare and take a dremel to it to see if you can draw some air over your face. If the aero penalty of a hole is 5w but you can put out an extra 10w by being able to breathe then it would be a worthwhile tradeoff. No real way to tell without a wind tunnel though.

Or I guess if you're modifying a visor anyway you might as well take it to someone who can neatly grind off the bottom and make it into the short version for you. Perhaps that's what they're doing for the pros which would explain why it's not available.
yeah good call actually. it comes with 2 visors so might see if i can get one trimmed.

side note: the quality of the tt5 is actually really poor. the tabs that hold the visor on are glued on with paper glue, you can't remove the hijab to wash it, if you do try to remove it you snap the helmet foam, the visors scratch easily. if it wasn't supposedly fast, i'd definitely use something else that didn't feel so cheap.

js

by js

It's been noted before, but plenty of Pros are still using the Abus Gamechanger 1st Gen model, in favour of the newer 2nd Gen version that came out last year.

Initially I figured it was just individual preference, that maybe the shape was slightly different, in a way that made MvdP or Van Vleuten prefer the older model, while their teammates often wore the new. Or was it possible two such top-level riders had done the tunnel testing to know that helmet's shaping worked better aerodynamically for their position (though you would wonder why Abus would design a helmet that isn't better for the position of two such ultra-high-profile riders).

But Jasper Philipsen was on the new model for all his TdF stage wins last year and then apparently reverted to the 1st Gen model for yesterday's MSR win... suggesting that maybe it's 'worth racing' the older model, even for those who found the new model comfortable enough to wear it last year.

Does anyone in WW-land have close enough connections to the team or riders to have an answer (without maybes) to what's keeping them in the 1st Gen helmet?

RDY

by RDY

js wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:22 pm
It's been noted before, but plenty of Pros are still using the Abus Gamechanger 1st Gen model, in favour of the newer 2nd Gen version that came out last year.

Initially I figured it was just individual preference, that maybe the shape was slightly different, in a way that made MvdP or Van Vleuten prefer the older model, while their teammates often wore the new. Or was it possible two such top-level riders had done the tunnel testing to know that helmet's shaping worked better aerodynamically for their position (though you would wonder why Abus would design a helmet that isn't better for the position of two such ultra-high-profile riders).

But Jasper Philipsen was on the new model for all his TdF stage wins last year and then apparently reverted to the 1st Gen model for yesterday's MSR win... suggesting that maybe it's 'worth racing' the older model, even for those who found the new model comfortable enough to wear it last year.

Does anyone in WW-land have close enough connections to the team or riders to have an answer (without maybes) to what's keeping them in the 1st Gen helmet?

The old model was sized very small. The new one is a bit bigger (internally and externally). It's not a TT helmet, so smaller = more aero most likely.

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

are we likely to see a new S-Works Evade this year? i'm liking the new 2024 colourway, but if something new is coming i'll hold off

by 208

danridesbikes wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:28 pm
are we likely to see a new S-Works Evade this year? i'm liking the new 2024 colourway, but if something new is coming i'll hold off

Doubt it, evade 2 was around for like 5 years before evade 3 was released.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

RDY wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:53 pm
js wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:22 pm

The old model was sized very small. The new one is a bit bigger (internally and externally). It's not a TT helmet, so smaller = more aero most likely.
I believe as well that the helmets were supplied by Canyon rather than Abus directly so it was have just been a personal preference thing as Canyon have no agenda on which helmet needs pushing

js

by js

Tifosiphil wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:45 pm
I believe as well that the helmets were supplied by Canyon rather than Abus directly so it was have just been a personal preference thing as Canyon have no agenda on which helmet needs pushing
The women's branch of the team is entirely on the GC 2.0 - so it does seem to be a conscious decision from the men's team to revert to the 1.0 this season.

Having said that, I did notice Puck Pieterse was racing CX in a MET to begin her winter, while her teammate Alvarado was in an Abus, so there's definitely a lot more flexibility with their helmets. It just seems strange that the men's outfit seems to have a reason to revert to version 1.0 of the GC helmet, and then that the women's branch of their team wouldn't do the same, all while Tudor, Moviestar and others seem content with v2.0.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The plot thickens for the Abus Gamechanger V1 versus V2. At Roubaix, all of Alpecin on version 2, but Van der Poel still on version one.
I would really love to know why he prefers it.

According the the manufacturer :roll: , the version 2 is more aero and (obviously) has better ventilation. So MVP is not using the old one because he wants a slower, hotter helmet. My guess is that he prefers version one because he knows that it is just a way better looking helmet. :D
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

As someone said above, I double checked with my local Abus distributor, Abus does not directly sponsors the team, but rather it's Canyon. Canyon supply the team with Abus helmet. So technically and legally speaking, Abus has no says in what the team wear. As long as it's an abus helmet , they can wear whatever they like from what Canyon supplies them.

MVDP seems like the guy who doesn't tinker with kits that make him succesfu. his bike setup is the most boring of all, but it works for him. May be he simply likes the wear on the first gen better. Or may be it's the looks. His entire kit set up is aesthetically pleasing. Aero socks, white shoes, White helmet. The first gen's aesthetic is not too busy like the second gen . May be that's how he likes it.