Quick thoughts/tips on SRM installation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Coolhand

by Coolhand

I few things I have noted on my SRM install- cribbed from an email to a friend:

Ok, a few lessons learned to add to our SRM databank.

1. ABSOLUTELY no zip ties! Black electrical tape (or various colored versions) are what SRM calls for (you can see this better on their cheesy Euro pop soundtrack intruction video for installation). Plan on using a decent amount of it for weirdly shaped (or oversized) BB shells's, say a Tarmac SL. . . Actually, plan on having plenty at hand (actually this turned out to be the case with Powertaps as well- zip ties cut the cables over time).

2. The Sensor has to be REAL close, no more then 6mm (pictures and videos show it no more the 3mm in their installations as far as I can tell though). Doing this maybe a PITA at first, but you can always combine the crazy rubberband things they give you with the electrical tape to hold them in place. Good thing carbon fiber is black! Also several of the areas around the cables and guides are incredibly fiddly to get to- you fingers tend to be too big around the cables and such. I used a very thin allen key to guide the tape into place w/o catching contantly. A tire iron is good for smoothing tape into weird places your fingers can't reach.

3. Proper sensor placement eliminated the crazy jumpiness of the zero offset of my first install, and gave me a stable zero offset number in the 540 range (previously it was jumping all over the 400-475 range).

4. iTunes helps preserve your sanity doing this.

Anyway, I though should you find youeself installing a SRM for any reason that you may find some of this useful.

Cheers!
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

1 question - why do Zip ties for installing the sensors?

Coolhand

by Coolhand

Mads Kock wrote:1 question - why do Zip ties for installing the sensors?

No zip ties- they have they rubber band thingess for speed sensor (I have a rear wheel versions) and the main sensor. Some people use zip ties to tie down the cable runs, especially along the down tube. The proper way is to use tape to secure it. I hope I understood your question.

:)
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

I lost one of the rubber bands so I was planning on using zip ties to mounting the front sensor! Other than that I will use tape!

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

i use zip ties to install the little plastic thing where you click the power sensor in, wich is absolutely no problem, just make sure you take small zip ties to have enough place for the sensor to clip in. you will have to make a row of 4 or four thin zip ties that it's long and thin enough.
other than that, i agree with not using zip ties. see-through tesa tape is another soultion, under wich you can still see e.g. the name of the frame or colour changes in the area you wanted to tape the cable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Thanks Simon!!!

Soon I will start to mount my cranks and I will probably have a 1000 other questions :-)