Advice: Titanium Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eric W.

by Eric W.

IMO Moots simply makes the very finest Ti frames out there. Not cheap but top notch. Still, there is one Ti brand that hasn´t been mentioned so far but should have been: Hampsten. They receive their bikes from Moots who actually build them. For the history of this co-opertaion turn to the Moots homepage. Anyway, Hampsten offers Ti frames at slightly lower prices than Moots does. I think they start at USD 2.250.

In addition, if you´re also looking for used frames, there has recently been a real bargain on ebay for a Moots road frame. Don´t remeber the details but it seems worth a look.

Amongst the top builders I consider Carl Strong to be one of those offering perfect craftmanship at reasonable prices. So does Kish.

cadence90

by cadence90

Yes Moots are beautiful, it's hard to find just a used frame though in my size. I'll look at the Hampsten, but the Kish is very appealing, the quality seems super and Jim Kish is very professional. Kish/Strong are about $1900.00/frame, the Moots $2325.00, so they're all expensive for me. You're in Germany, I'm curious: how did you hear about Kish over there?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

Any one have any thoughts on Litespeed?
Ghisallo v. Ultimate v. Vortex?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Eric W.

by Eric W.

Well, as you will remenber from the "Finest bike" thread I´m very much in for Ti ad steel frames. Thus, one almost necessarily learns sooner or later about Kish or Bill Holand or Llewllyn or ...

By the way why did you choose Foco over Ultra Foco with your Strong frame. Was it due to your size/weight or has Ultra not been available when you ordered that steel frame. Just asking because I am 6'6" and 190 lbs. and wondering if there are any weight restricitions.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Cadence90, I have a Merckx made by lightspeed. great comfortable bike. The only hassle I have is it has straight seatstays which are a bit flexy under heavy pedal loads. Not exactly a fast acceleration, but real comfortable. All the the lightspeeds you listed have the bent stays (I think) and this helps solve the problem.

Be aware i just read litespeed is looking at possibly a 30% increase in prices this year so if it's new - get onto it soon

cadence90

by cadence90

+ 30% on those high prices already??? :cry:
Those are going to be expensive, too expensive for me....

On the Internet there are Ultimates all over the place on sale for $1699, but no Vortex and Ghisallo on sale.
I wonder why only the Ultimate?
And it's not the frame I'd want, on Litespeed I'd prefer Vortex/Ghisallo.

eddd

by eddd

Have you seen this, might be a little small?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=7298

cadence90

by cadence90

Thank you, yes I saw it, unfortunately way too small....

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

cadence90 wrote:+ 30% on those high prices already??? :cry:
Those are going to be expensive, too expensive for me....

On the Internet there are Ultimates all over the place on sale for $1699, but no Vortex and Ghisallo on sale.
I wonder why only the Ultimate?
And it's not the frame I'd want, on Litespeed I'd prefer Vortex/Ghisallo.

Well if you look at the geometry of ultimate its not exacly rider friendly.

Probably awesome in crits for sprinting. But for most ride i think its too twitchy i think.

Oenk

by Oenk

And what about the new Litespeed Solano?

http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/solano.aspx

cadence90

by cadence90

Oenk wrote:And what about the new Litespeed Solano?

http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/solano.aspx

Interesting....sold only as a complete Ultegra bike I guess? I wonder how the frame alone compares in reality to the Vortex re: stiffness/strength. If it's only the difference between 6/4 and 3/2,5, that's fine, I don't really buy into all the 6/4 hype anyway....

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

Litespeed sells nothing but complete bikes. I tried to purchase a Vortex frameset before buying my Dean and they told me no. Same with their used models. I ask if they would sell me a used frameset and they would not do so. Complete bikes, only. New or used. Oh, well. Guess they are selling all they can make so they didn't really care if they sold one to me.
Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you.
Those who ignore histroy are doomed to repeat it.

cadence90

by cadence90

Scapin, how's your Dean working out?

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

The frame looks great and the welds are as good as any I've seen on the competition. However, the FSA Compact Pro is still on backorder with no delivery date given, as of yet. So I am slowly assembling. I have all other parts in-hand, so build will only take a day to finish once the crankset arrives. I'll post a pic when is all together. Hopefully before the century season goes into full swing on April 17 (Taxing Metric) as I need the Dean for climbing.

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

OK. Here is where I stand on the Dean buildout. Record 10-speed drive-train with an '04 Chorus RD, FSA Compact Pro crankset, DA BB, Connex hollow-pin stainless chain, Advanced Carbon fork, Forte Pro Mg/TI pedals, carbon bottle cages and seatpost, IRD seatpost clamp, San Marco Aspide Arrowhead seat, FSA K-F bar and OS-115 stem, Chris King headset, FSA RD-400 wheels (removed stickers other than serial number). I see that I forgot to slip the Ergo levers onto the the bar before snapping this picture. I'll post again when all is together in a week or two.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com