Sram Red aerolink brakes PSA

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

quadlt250

by quadlt250

I recently broke the aerolink mount clean off while installing new cables. I've always used a torque wrench at 6Nm (the factory recommended torque is 6-8Nm).

I'm guessing Sram screwed up by not adjusting that down to 4-5Nm for the little 4mm bolt on the Red aerolink model.

Checked my other brake and it is cracked as well.
If you are using these brakes i STRONGLY suggest you check for cracking near the cable mount.

siwong1210

by siwong1210

Yikes. If you need a set of SRAM red brakes, I got a set without the brake shoes collecting dust. Haven't had any issues besides that they're a PITA to adjust.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yup. The same thing happened to my rear brake. There's no way to fix it unfortunately.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

If you just happen to be local SF Bay Area, I also have a pair.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

quadlt250

by quadlt250

thanks for the offers guys! i have some older Sram Rival brakes that i can use in the meantime, while i try to find a way to replace or repair the cracked link.

Im actually glad it broke completely, because im guessing i'd been riding with the cable mounts cracked, and luckily they didn't fail when i needed them.

theStig

by theStig

This is terrifying .. it's a good thing there are two brakes. I wonder if this is a fluke or if it's a common issue

goatalope

by goatalope

Happened to me, too. Replaced with some Dura Ace 7800 brakes. Work great and easy to adjust.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

That's a design flaw. The pressure is not being distributed properly - the two part faces and cable pinch are meeting in a way that creates a stress riser. Threads and bold heads should strip before a part fractures like that. Even the bolt should snap before that arm cracks. Scary.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

6nm seems rather high for a cable pinch...

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

I experienced the same problem. Definite flaw.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I don't suggest to blindly trust torque numbers.

Size and material will determine what to use. A 4mm bolt will have significantly less torque than a 5mm, which will have less torque than a 6mm, etc...

With handlebars for example you can -easily- damage them without overtorquing them simply by using a certain stem design.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

6NM into a composite boss. wow. SRAM is something else.