Need help finding a new frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Hello fellow weight weenies,
After having my current type of frame broken twice without a plausible explanation, I am seriously considering the option of buying something different.Until now, I rode a bottecchia tourmalet, I bought it 2 years ago, first frame broke, a replacement was send, and now the replacement frame broke on the same area, again. Another free, same frame replacement is certain, but I asked if it was possible to replace it with another frame, like T2 dopia corsa, because I can not trust the same type of frame anymore. If this doesn't happen, I was thinking of selling the replacement frame right away and buying something else, but I do not know if it will worth it....The frame alone when new costs 1800 Euro, I doubt if I can sell it for more than 1600, and that already puts me on the back foot from the start. And considering that I need a frame that is an upgrade from my current, since i am full on racing, and that my economics are not at the best state at the moment, the options that i have might be non-existing :cry:
So what I am looking for is preferably an aero frame and light enough to be built in the near future around 6,8 kilos for a full bike without much effort and money. I am also a big fan of integration and appreciate the way a bike looks (which was actually the first and main reason for my keen interest in cycling). The ideal frame right now for me would be a canyon aeroad, but the price difference is a little bit much, so I would like your suggestions for any other frames of that type that might be found cheaper. I would also be interested in pure climbing frames, if there are any good options in that price range (which by the way at this moment is hardly around 1900) and also would like to know about second hand deals and markets that might be of help in my search. I realise that I am asking for too much, but who knows, there might be a sollution for my problem! :)

Thank you all, as always, in advance :)

froze

by froze

Your current bike did not get rave reviews from what I found, mostly in regards to road feel and handling. If the Canyon is too expensive, and obviously you are footing the bill for your racing ambitions, I would find something a bit cheaper like the Specialized Allez DSW SL Sprint Expert. The Allez is aluminum but for racing this is fine, in fact that bike got a better review than your old bike got. In amateur racing there are a lot of crashes, you don't want an expensive frame or wheels if a crash destroys either or both, aluminum frames are less expensive to replace than carbon. The Allez comes with Shimano 105 and not Ultegra like you want but the weight difference is not that much different, plus they feel and shift almost the same, 105 today is Dura Ace 5 years ago, so you know it's good stuff, plus if you break a part in a crash it's cheaper to replace. When I use to live in California I knew a lot of road racers in the Bakersfield area that used nothing but 105 because like most amateur racer they don't have a lot of money to be pouring into the sport, so they used 105. The only thing I would consider using that is higher than 105, is swapping the rear derailleur to Ultegra because its a wee bit smoother and faster, and the cables (when the originals wear out) is to DA9000 cables, the cable change will make the 105 levers feel like DA levers.

Another interesting bike to consider, which is sold only by mail order, is the Kestrel Talon with 105, https://www.amazon.com/Kestrel-Talon-Ro ... B01D4WNAFW This bike is at a great price point and you can do the two simple upgrades to it that I mentioned above. This bike has a more aerodynamic frame than the Specialized, but the wheels are not aero, but the frame is a good base on which to build upon by adding aero rims that would be only used on race days and the stock rims for training and just riding.

Obviously there are a lot more bikes out there then what I mentioned, if I mentioned more it would take forever to type out, and those other bikes are just as good as the ones I mentioned, I just mentioned those two for you to think about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Fuji Transonic. Mine is way under 6.8kg with a somewhat budget build. Their climbing frame would be even easier to get to the weight limit but no aero.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Update, Bottecchia hasn't respond to the dealers e-mail....but they just send a new frame without even asking for any money or the old frame back!!! (which is still functional btw), just like that, so I changed my mind after that move and sticking with them...if it happens again or if anything happens, I now know that they have my back, so I don't have to worry about broken frame, crashes and stuff like that anymore!!! :D So back to building the rest of the bike the way I like it ;)