Another Pedal Thread..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvq

by dvq

I've tried in this order:

SPD: First getting into cycling pedal system, didn't last long.
Speedplay Zeros: Horrible system, I had so many cleat failures. I've had the grub screw strip the plastic body, had the circ lip crack, almost every plastic body holding the circ lip break, circlip/pedal interface fouling on the smallest bits of mud, rounded out pedal bodies.
Look Keo Blade: Great pedals that rotated to the right position, but didn't last long as the pedal body tended to crack over time. Cleat sucks though, the classic cleats are unwalkable, and the grip cleats get mangled if you look at them funny and foul up clipping in.
Look Keo Blade 2: Horrible system, bearing seals too tight so pedal was never in the expected rotation, and the wing of the pedal has cut my calf on many occasions -- it's sharp! Same cleat issues.
Dura Ace SPD-SL: Zero issues, I'm in love with these and have been so for 20,000 mi now. The cleats are walkable and don't foul when they get a bit chewed up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

rlanger wrote: Not sure what you are talking about with regards to the float on Speedplays? It is adjustable on the SP Zeros that I have, which make them entirely customizable to my preference.

As for the anecdote about the guy in the group, maybe he never bothered to service them? Which is something you should realize before buying them.

Anyway, it's nice that we have choice so that there are pedals for everyone.
@rlanger: the comment on float re Speedplays was just that, that if you’re into float, then you’re not going to find a pedal with any more float than a Speedplay. But I could never do a Triple Axle on my figure skates at the best of times, so I like my cleats fixed.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

C36

by C36

dvq wrote: Look Keo Blade 2: Horrible system, bearing seals too tight so pedal was never in the expected rotation, and the wing of the pedal has cut my calf on many occasions -- it's sharp! Same cleat issues.
Curious, not sure if I am lucky or you’re not, looked at 30 pictures of my 2 bikes and the pedal is 29/30 times in a position I should have no problems to engage directly. Now yes it happens sometimes I miss the pedal... not sure if another system would be better (speedplay excepted) I have always been on Look...
ImageImage
And the only bad one I sawImage

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

rlanger

by rlanger

Calnago wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:21 am
@rlanger: the comment on float re Speedplays was just that, that if you’re into float, then you’re not going to find a pedal with any more float than a Speedplay. But I could never do a Triple Axle on my figure skates at the best of times, so I like my cleats fixed.
Ah, ok. But you know you can also adjust it so that there's no float, right?

I like that the float can be independently adjusted so that one of my pedals has slightly more than the other.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

When Time pedals first came out I remember riders complaining that it felt like being on ice skates which how I found Speedplays. I used all versions of Time pedals and the float they have is different to Speedplays which just pivot in a circle where as the Times have a different action that feels like a restricted tension rather than uncontrollable glassy rotation. Then there’s those crap cleats that need lubricant and also start to rock with wear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelie

by wheelie

2020 Cervelo Aspero Apex 1 Mid Olive/Dune ----> Burgundy/Dark Orange
2022 Scott Addict RC10

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Speedplay ppl might like this pedal.
http://www.coombe.com/coombe_millennium_pro_pedals.html
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

ilikegreen

by ilikegreen

Hmm, looks like it's targeted more towards people who haven't already converted to a superior system.
Unlike most other pedal systems, the pivot point of the heel-in/out float is directly in the center of the
cleat, beneath the ball of the foot, thus reducing how far in or out the heels move per degree of float.
This makes the feet more solid and stable on the pedals than other pedal systems, such as Look
and Shimano, which position the float pivot point in front of the ball of the foot, closer to the toes.
Besides, it can't do "zero float".

;)

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Speedplays. I've started using them due to a knee injury, but I also like the looks, the ease of clipping in, and the fact that they are quite walkable. Thinking of upgrading them with some aftermarket titanium spindles for some weight loss.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

C36 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:38 am

Curious, not sure if I am lucky or you’re not, looked at 30 pictures of my 2 bikes and the pedal is 29/30 times in a position I should have no problems to engage directly. Now yes it happens sometimes I miss the pedal... not sure if another system would be better (speedplay excepted) I have always been on Look...

I've had the same experience as dvq.

Blades are so light that bearing friction prevents them from hanging "ass down" half the time. This does get better after wearing them in over the course of a year, but meh. The Blade name fits...I have a few scars on my shin. Also if you ever lay your bike down in a crash, the blade/wing gets sheared off and the metal plate flies off as well.

If I didn't use both Assiomas and Vector 3s, I'd probably just use Dura-Ace pedals.

The bearing(s) on one of my Vector 3s are also a bit "tight," so it doesn't just effect lighter pedals.

3Pio

by 3Pio

While we are at the Pedals Bearings.. On my Favero's i have about 12000 km.. Still spining ok..

But what are others experience with BePro and Faveros in term of Bearing maintence or replacing? (i can see there is bearing kit for Favero's)

Should i consider that they 'll last at least another 12000 km or to order Bearing kit to have it handy on this mileage?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My Assioma’s spindles/bearings are the smoothest I’ve ever twirled in hand as far as pedals go...from the very first day too. No clue about longevity.

3Pio

by 3Pio

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:52 pm
My Assioma’s spindles/bearings are the smoothest I’ve ever twirled in hand as far as pedals go...from the very first day too. No clue about longevity.
Yeah.. The same experience... Seem those bearings will last...