Venge Vias Stop Sale and Potential Recall....?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Miller

by Miller

Saw a Vias in the flesh for the first time this evening, someone had one down the track at the road bike session. It's a dramatic looking machine with the swoopy bars and the curious brakes and everything matt black. Not saying I wanted one but it's impressive somehow.

Didn't check its rear dropouts tho.

jeffy

by jeffy

@ergott disc frame and fork dropouts are not the same as rim frames and forks. they are angled away from the caliper (forward for the fork, rearward for the frame) for precisely this reason (pulling the wheel out of the dropouts).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

jeffy wrote:@ergott disc frame and fork dropouts are not the same as rim frames and forks. they are angled away from the caliper (forward for the fork, rearward for the frame) for precisely this reason (pulling the wheel out of the dropouts).

You take a look at the position of the rear caliper of a disc brake when it's mounted on the chainstay and tell me it's not in the same relative position as the brake pads on the VIAS. Most quick release, disc frames I've seen have vertical dropouts just like rim brake frames. They aren't pointed away from the caliper at all because that would make wheel removal around the rear derailleur more difficult (see most tri/time trial bikes that have track ends there, they suck for wheel changes).

And don't forget that they repositioned fork dropouts because the exact opposite caliper placement. On a fork, the caliper is behind the axle, not in front of it. The dropouts of quick release forks were rotated forward (away from the caliper) more than rim brake forks. It only takes a visit to a bike store to confirm what I'm talking about.

Have a friend rotate a wheel in their hands. Now grab the rim by the part of the wheel that would be considered about "2 o clock" and see which way momentum carries the wheel. That's where the VIAS calipers and chainstay disc brakes are mounted.

Now repeat this exercise and grab the wheel at about "6 o clock" and observe. That's where the caliper is located on most forks.

:noidea:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Rotation + the location of the brakes will push the wheel into the drop out. The comment about the front brake causing it would actually put less force through the rear wheel under braking as it would pivot the riders weight balance forward reducing the total amount of rear braking force available before the tyre looses traction. The whole issue comes down to improperly tightened skewers and the rest of the world having to play to the lowest common denominator to keep the less intelligent from suing a business to cover their own stupidity. Loosen any rear wheel then stand on the drive side crank in the 2°clock position, the chain will pull the wheel forward. Couple this with pulling up on the bar to counter the action and the wheel wants to disengage. Wheel pops out and pivots connecting with the NDS chainstay wrenching it forward and pushing the upper half into the Drive side seat stay as the casette/skewer nut munches its way along under Drive side chain stay till the rider releases the chain tension.
Using Tapatalk

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

mile2424 wrote:what's the downside to the added tabs? Or why would you want to grind them off?

I just want to flip and lever and have the wheel come off.

And, it's weight weenies, less weight.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Then dont use the updated hangger and tighen your wheel properly. Not exactly rocket surgery.
Using Tapatalk

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

That's what I originally said, grind or do not have the recall done.

I would not be surprised at all if all Specialized bikes will get tabs phased in.

ergott

by ergott

Butcher wrote:That's what I originally said, grind or do not have the recall done.

I would not be surprised at all if all Specialized bikes will get tabs phased in.

This would surprise me. I thought pros have to race their UCI bikes as stock. That would mean pros would have to suffer through awful wheel changes in the middle of races.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@ergot: Yup, that's exactly what it would mean. And in the rear that would be much more of a pain than it currently is in the front, at least for the pros where time is of the essence. Poor Vias :cry: But perhaps that will be the least of their worries as they try to fit that neutral spare wheel into the frame AND get the disc rotor all aligned in the pads etc. Poor everyone :cry: .
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

All because someone does not know how to properly secure a quick release.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Id say the pros will just run the original hangger. They do after all know how to put a wheel in a bike properly.
Using Tapatalk

goodboyr

by goodboyr

At least their mechanics do...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ergott

by ergott

Anyone have a pic of the current hanger in question?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Looks like any standard hangger. The new one has 2 small lawyer tabs on it.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Nefarious86 wrote:Looks like any standard hangger. The new one has 2 small lawyer tabs on it.

So why is this a "problem" with the VAIS and no other bike? Is it because if the VIAS has the unique ability to self destruct if your skewer isn't completely tightened whereas other bikes your rear wheel simply locks up?

:noidea: