Colnago C60 vs Cannondale SS Hi Mod vs Canyon Ultimate

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

Regarding the "hold it's value" idea.

There is nothing magical about Colnagos. If you sell one you will take a huge loss just like on all high end bikes. I know I've bought two used ones and got fantastic deals compared to the cost of a new one. Full retail on a C60 is $6000. If you are willing to do mail order or buy from Maestro in the UK, you'll pay around $4000-4500. When you sell your used C60 in nice condition, you'll be lucky to get $2000-2500 on ebay minus the 13% fees.

The primary consideration should be which bike fits you and rides the best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

byjinu

by byjinu

I recommend Canyon

Canyon is so cheap but have good spec

Colnago is also a great bike, but the price / performance ratio is not good

The Canondale image is lower than the Cologne, and the price falls to the Canyon
Last edited by byjinu on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

dj97223

by dj97223

mpulsiv wrote:Slew of personal opinions with no facts.

I might borrow that phrase. :lol:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

mpulsiv wrote:Slew of personal opinions with no facts. Colnago is a boutique brand. Think of value, collectible, etc. Cycling aside, when you see and hear "Made in Italy", you get that warm fuzzy feeling unless you don't appreciate fine things in life.

who doesnt appreciate warm fuzzy feelings

nb: i own a colnago, and owned an alfa romero (shudder...)

Willem

by Willem

Just saying, being an Engineer my philosophy has always been that a bike frame is as simple as it gets and the price tag is related to marketing rather than any frame building secrets. Even doing CAD finite element analysis and using deflection rigs to test frame designs with different carbon lay-ups in this day and age is pretty simple.

However, if one looks at the hours you have to spend in the saddle to be competitive, you may as well spoil yourself with a rig that takes away the desire to own anything else.

So, I can't explain why my C60 has become the only bike I ride. The difference in feel between the C60 and my other four bikes is so big, that those just hang in the garage as ornaments. Time to sell them.

I still have an old C40 in perfect condition with Campy Record, which seems to attract more attention than the C60. I enjoyed riding the C40 until I did a 160km race with lots and lots of climbing and it had a more suitable gear ratio for this event. Big mistake, it felt dead, slow and soft when it became necessary to really put power down in comparison. My performance was terrible and after the first breakaway I realized the C40 was going to be a big disadvantage in choice for the event.

For a crit with fast corners, nothing I have ever ridden compares to the C60.

Who knows, perhaps it is all psychological? :-)

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Willem wrote:

One of these days a magazine needs to pay a bunch of psychophysicists to characterise the subjective experience of riding a bike - you know do JND testing with participants blind to variations in the components being trialled. Though variability across component properties would be pretty hard/semi-impossible to control for.

My intuition would be that there is a very large psychological component to the perception of stiffness and comfort etc. Further, I bet you're more likely to perceive the manifestation of a property if you've been primed to have a certain kind of experience. For example, a couple of mates told me the C60 isn't as snappy as something like an Oltre XR2 - no surprise that when I rode one, first thought that came to mind was that it felt a bit spongy... But you know, testimony like that ain't worth much.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

C36

by C36

zappafile123 wrote:
Willem wrote:

One of these days a magazine needs to pay a bunch of psychophysicists to characterise the subjective experience of riding a bike - you know do JND testing with participants blind to variations in the components being trialled. Though variability across component properties would be pretty hard/semi-impossible to control for.

My intuition would be that there is a very large psychological component to the perception of stiffness and comfort etc. Further, I bet you're more likely to perceive the manifestation of a property if you've been primed to have a certain kind of experience. For example, a couple of mates told me the C60 isn't as snappy as something like an Oltre XR2 - no surprise that when I rode one, first thought that came to mind was that it felt a bit spongy... But you know, testimony like that ain't worth much.

I could answer this one. Long story short, we involved all different type of riders from elites to regional riders and some guys from the testing team. Material (wheels in this case) were visually identical... And at the end of the day you could make them say whatever you wanted depending on what you told them before their test, results were so surprising that the test got extended trying more variations (either equipment or small-talks).
Now was there a real performance difference... Yes confirmed by chrono, power outputs, and results were repeating and consistent...
You raised a very valid comment on what you put behind a feeling. How do you translate "snappy" in engineering point of view? Well I can ensure that results are sometime surprising.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

3Pio

by 3Pio

zappafile123 wrote:
Willem wrote:

Wanted to buy Dogma F8 or XR2 and had chance to try them all.I rode XR2 for a week, one of the rides 252 km.C60 and Dogma F8 test rides 140 km per ride..

Like to climb and like to push hardon pedals..Guess what?As i said i Tried C60 and for me feel stiffer whem its needed and in same time more comfortable.So i bought C60, much better bike then Dogma F8 or XR2