Creaking noise coming from bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davetung

by davetung

Hi all,

I have a 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL and I recently had my drivetrain cleaned at LBS. Since then my bike is making the creaking noise when I am climbing at 75-80 rpm and in one of the climbing gears like 36-28. The noise goes away when I am out of the saddle. It's very odd because the noise doesn't come out all the time... I would say 50% and sometimes just takes awhile for it to come out. The LBS can't figure out what the issue is... I am hoping someone had the same issue and figured it out... Thx

Here is link to the video I recorded.

http://youtu.be/uyOfqeGA2Ks

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by davetung on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Your bike shop can't figure out where that noise is coming from? That's not cool. Sounds to me like you've got yourself a nice pressfit bottom bracket there, don't ya? Your bike shop should know better, and they should be able to fix it. That's unacceptable. Actually, I missed the part where you said the noise goes away when you're out of the saddle. Check seatpost, saddle clamps etc. But sheesh... your LBS should certainly be able to help you out here.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mrgray

by mrgray

are you saying the noise occurs when you are cross chaining? did you mean 53-28 (front and rear respectively?). noise disappears when out of saddle or when in saddle?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

mrgray

by mrgray

:D also bike weight and photo pls! :D
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

davetung

by davetung

Sorry I meant 36-28 gear or similar climbing gears. Not cross chained.

Bike is 15.1 lbs with cages

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

Before you remove the bottom bracket... try greasing the rear wheel skewers, doesn't take much effort but at least you eliminate that first. I had the same noise when climbing hills... I removed the bottom bracket and greased it... and creaking noise was still there.. It wasn't until I greased the rear wheel skewer and creaking noise was gone. It may or may not solve your problem :)

Multebear

by Multebear

It could be anything from pedals to chainringbolts, cassette, skewer, saddle, seatpostclamp, hoods, handlebar, stem, BB. Try to loosen, grease, tighten everything. Begin with the easy parts. I'm usually experiencing noise, when I've removed and cleaned the chainring. Chainringbolts need to be very tight and well greased.

tomycs

by tomycs

I'd check the saddle and the chainring bolts before checking the BB. None of the chainring bolts should be loose, the saddle is a bit more tricky as noise can come from the clamping as well as the saddle itself but I'd grease/tighten and if that doesn't fix it check w. different saddle.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

I had the exact same problem for a while. After eliminating everything else, it was seatpost and the saddle clamp in particular. In retrospect it should have been obvious.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I recently had my drivetrain cleaned at LBS

:unbelievable: :hmm: :unbelievable:

Mind. Blown.

As has been noted. Could be anything. I would start with the things you may be able to eliminate. Remove, replace, and re-torque stem, bars, pedals, seatpost, saddle, etc. Try another set of pedals with some trainers. Swap the saddle. Borrow another set of wheels.

Or just learn to love it. :)
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

If a noise goes away when standing it would be very unusual for the noise to be anything other than the saddle or isp mast. Try pulling/pushing/twisting on the saddle with your hands and see if you can replicate the noise, more than likely you can.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Calnago wrote:Your bike shop can't figure out where that noise is coming from? That's not cool. Sounds to me like you've got yourself a nice pressfit bottom bracket there, don't ya? Your bike shop should know better, and they should be able to fix it. That's unacceptable. Actually, I missed the part where you said the noise goes away when you're out of the saddle. Check seatpost, saddle clamps etc. But sheesh... your LBS should certainly be able to help you out here.

Why on earth do people still buy this garbage. It's not as if this isn't a known issue. And even if the buyer isn't the bike shop ought to be.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

velomane

by velomane

I had a similar problem years ago. Cleaned both skewers thoroughly...problem solved.

drchull

by drchull

Bottom bracket, pedals/cleats, skewers, headset, saddle and post, cables and knees, all things I have had creak at some time.

davetung

by davetung

Thx for the tips everyone. I left my bike at the LBS for a few days so they can do a more thorough diagnosis.... Hopefully they will figure it out and I will update everyone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com