Colnago C60 - seatpost loose fit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wedgie

by wedgie

I'm finishing building my new C60 but am having an issue with the colnago seatpost. It seems to be a loose fit - when I tighten the seat collar, the edges of the collar meet before the seat post is tight - I can rock it ever so slightly forwards and backwards. I've tried carbon paste inside the frame, on the seatpost, between the collar and the frame but the post just doesn't seem tight. Its definitely a genuine C60 31.6 seatpost but it wasn't supplied with the frame.
Have any C60 owners experienced this problem or can anyone offer a solution?
Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Tried measuring the post and frame and seeing if either are out of spec?
Using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Never seen a Colnago with a loose fitting seatpost. If anything the tolerance is so tight that I've sanded a bit of gloss off to allow me to even push it down. Just playing wth a C60 and I can insert the seatpost (tight fit) and without even putting the seat collar on pick the thing up by the post with no fear of the frame slipping out.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wedgie

by wedgie

That's what I've read previously. That't why I'm surprised by this problem. I don't have an accurate vernier calliper to measure the post or the internal diameter of the seat tube, but I suspect that the seat tube internal diameter may be slightly larger than specified because I've just tried the seatpost from my MTB, also 31.6, and its a loose fit too. If I let go of the post it drops straight in.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Sounds as tho the frame may well be out of spec :(
Using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

May be a silly question, but it is a legit frame, right? There are fakes out there that even "mold" in fake lugs. So that they look like lugs from the outside but they're just following the lines of the mold in reality.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wedgie

by wedgie

Sensible question but yes, definitely legitimate. Bought in UK from an official dealer. Post is also genuine Colnago from an official dealer.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Strange. Call the dealer.

nga

by nga

Definitely call the dealer. C60 shouldn't have that kind of issues. For the reference my C60 seat post is perfectly fit to the seat tube. Not possible to rock the seatpost back and forwards when inserted to the seat tube.

sharkman

by sharkman

Have a new genuine C60 over here. Have to say the white painted post is a really loose fit when inserted but tightens up properly.

Fake framesets and even more C60 posts however are all over the internet and most of the time have bad fittment.

PSM

by PSM

Picture?

sharkman

by sharkman

Not my bike.

Wheels will be Bora one 35, saddle and tape changed to black.

PSM

by PSM

I'd like to see the seatpost...

I think that seatpost should always come with a Colnago. Right?

C59, C60 and M10/10s does.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

In America the seatpost comes with the frame but I remember around the time I got my C59 in 2010/11 that they were being sold in elsewhere and charging separately for the seatpost. So I think it may depend on where/who you're buying it from. By the way, the C60 I was experimenting on with this issue also had that same white seatpost. It took some effort to get it into the frame and even without the seat collar on the bike it was snug enough that I could pick up the frame without fear that the frame was going to slip off. It was beautifully finished both inside and out snd even though snug the finish was so smooth that no scratching was happening at any point despite its snugness. In your case where you say you can tighten the collar all the way to close the gap something just seems wrong there. That gap is pretty big.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hey @Sharkman, what's up with the wheels in that pic above... Bora wheels with FF decals photoshopped on them?