Yet another post about Zipps cracking

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gtcyclist

by gtcyclist

Well the second race of the season this past weekend in the crit there was a small dip in the road before a cobbled section in a crit, probably 2" wide, .5" deep. Well we hit it like 25 times throughout the crit, and bikes were creaking and groaning going over it, and about midway through i heard the familiar 'crack.' I'm probably just under 140 lbs, was running about 110-120 psi in brand new vittoria corsa evos for the cobbled section. It is a tiny crack though and takes quite a bit of looking to find. But unlike last time when I rode the rim for another 4 months after it cracked, when I ride on this one, there is a distinct clunk every time the crack is at the bottom of the wheel (closest to the ground). Now I'll ride something kind of sketchy, but if you can hear it getting worse every time your wheel goes around, screw that. This just seems kind of ridiculous. This is the third rear rim in 3 years. I probably average less than 100 mi on each rim. The things that crack it aren't even bad at all; I would never worry about such small bumps or holes on my rolfs. The course marshall warned us about the dip, saying it would wake us up, but wouldn't even give us a flat. Well I didn't flat, but I sure did crack my rim.

I really don't have the money to get it fixed, more less change to an entirely new wheelset. I wouldn't mind trying the pave 303s if I knew they would hold up for the entire rest of the season, but I don't want to get a 404, because that would involve all new spokes again (last time I went from 303 normal to 303 dimpled I had to get all new spokes) and they weigh more and don't spin up as fast for crits. I don't really want to get rid of them either because I have 3 basically brand new corsa evos and new zipp carbon brake pads. The simple fact is, I've never found a faster, lighter wheelset, and the tubulars corner amazingly well. Whenever I call zipp they are always ever saying they need to look at it and give me an RA number. There is none of the helpfulness that many people seem to have had in this forum. I even work at a zipp dealer. I really don't want this to be the third season in a row that I switch out to my rolf vector pros for the rest of the race season. If anyone has any advice, I'm probably gonna call our zipp rep tomorrow and see what he can do for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

As customers we have an obligation the companies from which we buy our bike equipment to let them know when something goes wrong and to ensure they satisfy us completely with excellent service - in other words call Zipp and complain like hell. Truth is when ever I have had a problem they have been extremely helpful - so be nice.

It is unfortunate that you had this failure. Zipp wheels would be truly extraordinary products if they were only a bit tougher. Definitely go for the Pave version if you stay with Zipp.

I ride 404's (regular version) as my everyday wheels and I am 190 lbs. No problems yet.

Let us know how Zipp deals with this problem.

flying

by flying

Bummer :cry:

So judging by your title you know of others that have the same problem?
I am just in the process of looking for some carbon tubbies & many offer the Zipp rims.
Have all of your cracks been on 303's?

Thanks

BikeTech

by BikeTech

gtcyclist wrote:Well the second race of the season this past weekend in the crit there was a small dip in the road before a cobbled section in a crit, probably 2" wide, .5" deep. Well we hit it like 25 times throughout the crit, and bikes were creaking and groaning going over it, and about midway through i heard the familiar 'crack.' I'm probably just under 140 lbs, was running about 110-120 psi in brand new vittoria corsa evos for the cobbled section. It is a tiny crack though and takes quite a bit of looking to find. But unlike last time when I rode the rim for another 4 months after it cracked, when I ride on this one, there is a distinct clunk every time the crack is at the bottom of the wheel (closest to the ground). Now I'll ride something kind of sketchy, but if you can hear it getting worse every time your wheel goes around, screw that. This just seems kind of ridiculous. This is the third rear rim in 3 years. I probably average less than 100 mi on each rim. The things that crack it aren't even bad at all; I would never worry about such small bumps or holes on my rolfs. The course marshall warned us about the dip, saying it would wake us up, but wouldn't even give us a flat. Well I didn't flat, but I sure did crack my rim.

I really don't have the money to get it fixed, more less change to an entirely new wheelset. I wouldn't mind trying the pave 303s if I knew they would hold up for the entire rest of the season, but I don't want to get a 404, because that would involve all new spokes again (last time I went from 303 normal to 303 dimpled I had to get all new spokes) and they weigh more and don't spin up as fast for crits. I don't really want to get rid of them either because I have 3 basically brand new corsa evos and new zipp carbon brake pads. The simple fact is, I've never found a faster, lighter wheelset, and the tubulars corner amazingly well. Whenever I call zipp they are always ever saying they need to look at it and give me an RA number. There is none of the helpfulness that many people seem to have had in this forum. I even work at a zipp dealer. I really don't want this to be the third season in a row that I switch out to my rolf vector pros for the rest of the race season. If anyone has any advice, I'm probably gonna call our zipp rep tomorrow and see what he can do for me.

Sounds like this race was in downtown Gainesville FL?

kAb

by kAb

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your Zipp's. I'd probably do as Mr.Gib suggested and see what Zipp will/can do for you.

Mr.Gib wrote:As customers we have an obligation the companies from which we buy our bike equipment to let them know when something goes wrong and to ensure they satisfy us completely with excellent service - in other words call Zipp and complain like hell. Truth is when ever I have had a problem they have been extremely helpful - so be nice.

It is unfortunate that you had this failure. Zipp wheels would be truly extraordinary products if they were only a bit tougher. Definitely go for the Pave version if you stay with Zipp.

I ride 404's (regular version) as my everyday wheels and I am 190 lbs. No problems yet.
Let us know how Zipp deals with this problem.

Sounds somewhat repugnant. Had you had problems with non pave wheels and not the pave's? That seems to be the direction most customer's as well as Zipp themselves are heading.

Machina

by Machina

I've been in a road stage that saw 2 Z4 carbon rims fail when we went thru a similiar dip on a highway. Both riders were lightweight climber types riding small frames. The rims clicked on every rotation of the wheel, as you described. The rims held up thru the stage but had to be replaced after.

Warblade

by Warblade

Hate to say it guys, but Zipps are reknown for cracking. They are very aero wheels, with they're dimpling and all but they crack much to often. I'd rather have my collarbone in one than to gain a couple seconds.
www.ChrisDiRe.com

Adam Hansen wrote:Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

kAb

by kAb

Warblade wrote:Hate to say it guys, but Zipps are reknown for cracking.

Hate to say it, but I think the title of the thread should give a reference to previous knowledge of the rims failure.

flying

by flying

kAb wrote:
Warblade wrote:Hate to say it guys, but Zipps are reknown for cracking.

Hate to say it, but I think the title of the thread should give a reference to previous knowledge of the rims failure.

Boy this shortens the list to reynolds or reynolds for me ;)

gtcyclist

by gtcyclist

yeah it was gainesville. Not the most friendly course, but not a place you'd expect wheels to be failing. It looks like I might end up having to ep the paves. All 3 previous cracks were on 303s. I'm starting to think heavier carbon wheels like reynolds or campy might be a necessity for all but sponsored riders =P I actually haven't seen a single other zipp come back to our shop because of cracks in the rim. A couple had spokes pulled through the rim, but no cracking. Of course being a high end shop, we tend to get a lot of people with much more money than talent. I'll call up zipp and let you know how it goes.

jeffr

by jeffr

Well, I have three zipp wheels now and I'm horribly abusive to them. I jump off curbs, I hit potholes on descents, and just generally ride them as if they're made of steel. I also run my tire pressure a little high at 130-140. Maybe that helps. I'm still waiting to see when I break one. Then maybe I'll have an excuse to buy lightweights. I can curb hop with those right? :-)

Sleg8

by Sleg8

jeffr wrote:Well, I have three zipp wheels now and I'm horribly abusive to them. I jump off curbs, I hit potholes on descents, and just generally ride them as if they're made of steel. I also run my tire pressure a little high at 130-140. Maybe that helps. I'm still waiting to see when I break one. Then maybe I'll have an excuse to buy lightweights. I can curb hop with those right? :-)

You've had a very good run then. I've cracked 303 rims as well. Cracked right at the spoke holes. Didnt hit anything either, which made it disappointing.

@flying: Reynolds and what about Corima rims?
"All I ask is the heavens above and the road below"

jeffr

by jeffr

What does zipp say about this? What is the cost to replace them?

Sleg8

by Sleg8

for me they were sponsored, so no cost to me, they were just replaced.

I would have liked to build up a pair of my own 250 rims on Tune hubs 28h front and rear, but the durability issue has me questioning this build.
"All I ask is the heavens above and the road below"

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

jeffr wrote:What does zipp say about this? What is the cost to replace them?

In europe its 210euro for a crash replacement. I think they retail at 460euro each.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com