How many pedals (sets) do you have per bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skiezo

by skiezo

Two road bike and one set on each bike. Both sets are Look KEO 2 max carbons on each bike. I see no sense in changing pedals if they work for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rainerhq

by rainerhq

1 set per bike. What´s the reason having more than one?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

tinozee

by tinozee

Lugan wrote:What a strange question. I think the vast majority of us have a 1:1 pedal-to-bike ratio. It's really strange to share fundamental parts between bikes. I know it costs money, but why not buy pedals for each of your bikes?

I guess people look at it differently. Some people think of complete bikes and others frames & parts. For me, I own probably 20 "bikes" worth of frames and parts, but only one is completely assembled at the moment, and it's constantly morphing. I take care of bike setup usually the night before in my shop along with all the other ride prep. To change parts becomes so fast and simple with practice if you ride a lot. In order to clean well and properly service parts I like to completely break the bikes down quite often. So something like changing pedals is like as easy as changing socks imo. It's like I want the absolute best combo of parts on every ride. And backup parts at the ready, clean and prepped if I need them. I even bring spares in my bike box when travelling. These things are disposable if you are doing several hundred miles a week. Wheels, tires, pedals... the stuff just breaks. And you can't get speedplay parts in some areas.

If it's a dickin around town ride (less than 20 miles) I just jump on my Schwinn or Raleigh beater bikes.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

rainerhq wrote:1 set per bike. What´s the reason having more than one?

Well, if you looked over to that other thread and my response vs. other responses, your question could apply to wheels as well (why have more than one per bike?)

I know of people (not here on WW, locals) who have more than enough bikes under a category but swap pedals and wheels as necessary... so basically if you saw their garage or bike room you'll see around 5-8 bikes hanging off walls and various places in almost complete states: when they want to ride one they just add wheels and pedals. In a sense this is nice because it helps keep the frames a little more storable (no pedals = less width, ignoring handlebars) and it allows a person to swap in SPDs on a road bike if they're going on a bike date or whatever.

Whereas I've got one set of wheels per bike, mostly swappable between the bikes, and working on a few builds at the moment and wondering whether I should get more sets of pedals. :noidea:

Hence the question.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

53x12

by 53x12

Lugan wrote:What a strange question. I think the vast majority of us have a 1:1 pedal-to-bike ratio. It's really strange to share fundamental parts between bikes. I know it costs money, but why not buy pedals for each of your bikes?

People do own Garmin Vector pedals, PowerTap P1 pedals, Look Keo Power pedals...etc.

So it isn't as strange a question as you think.

Calnago wrote:Yes, one set of pedals, installed for each bike. Would hate the idea of unthreading/threading pedals in and out of the cranks on a regular basis. Just really bad for wear and tear on the threads.

Not really. Especially if proper care and procedure is taken to make sure one doesn't strip the threads when installing and properly lubes up everything properly. Won't wear out the threads with proper care.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

nlouthan

by nlouthan

One pair per bike and a new pair in the toolbox as backup. Honestly, I'd never even considered not having pedals on every bike at all times, though I could see if you have power meter pedals. Pedals are relatively inexpensive, especially considering they come with new cleats which get replaced often.

BRM

by BRM

tinozee wrote:

I guess people look at it differently. Some people think of complete bikes and others frames & parts. For me, I own probably 20 "bikes" worth of frames and parts, but only one is completely assembled at the moment, and it's constantly morphing.

Really? What are you talking about? Your exotic situation is in no way a reference for the discussion.
20 bikes but only one is assembled. Yeah sure.

People here live in their very own worlds.

53x12 wrote:People do own Garmin Vector pedals, PowerTap P1 pedals, Look Keo Power pedals...etc.

Eh the topic starter didnt mention anything about special pedals. He mentions just ordinairy setups.
NONE has mentioned specail powerpedals in this topic. THAT was till now not the discussion.

Lets stick to the facts and the original discussion. Leave out exotic configurations.

From an engineering point it is NOT a good idea to constantly swap pedals.
Not all cranks are just aluminium. Carbon cranks with glued threads are way more vulnerable just to mention something. Threads also easily become damaged or wear out. Do the math.

When you don't have much money just buy a lower range pedal of the ones you use.

Marin

by Marin

Ww is all about exotic configurations.

I have 3 bikes, 4 (soon 5) sets of pedals, 6 sets of wheels and like 15 pairs of tires. I think I swap wheels & tires most often because every combination will make the bike feel different.

53x12

by 53x12

BRM wrote:
53x12 wrote:People do own Garmin Vector pedals, PowerTap P1 pedals, Look Keo Power pedals...etc.

Eh the topic starter didnt mention anything about special pedals. He mentions just ordinairy setups.
NONE has mentioned specail powerpedals in this topic. THAT was till now not the discussion.

Lets stick to the facts and the original discussion. Leave out exotic configurations.

From an engineering point it is NOT a good idea to constantly swap pedals.
Not all cranks are just aluminium. Carbon cranks with glued threads are way more vulnerable just to mention something. Threads also easily become damaged or wear out. Do the math.

When you don't have much money just buy a lower range pedal of the ones you use.

I don't give a flying **** if my point was raised previously or not. I'll raise the point as I see fit and as it corresponds to the discussion on hand. Again, people have power meter pedals thereby no longer using traditional pedals thereby having one set that they use that they might swap from their training road bike to their race road bike to their climbing road bike to their TT bike.

From an engineering stand point, there is NO reason for not swapping pedals back and forth if you properly install them. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Now if one is an idiot, doesn't take their time or take proper precautions, then yes, they can ruin the threads. But that is the same thing with any bike part. Or even for those with multiple bikes and they only own one SRM or Power2Max crank power meter that they swap between their various bikes. But again, with proper care there is no risk of damaging anything.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

BRM

by BRM

You have your very own discussion apparently. I see no match with the original discussion.

When you don't understand that frequently swapping pedals is not a good idea for your material, you have a lack on technical knowledge and insight, sorry to say.

It looks like a virus took over here. One after the other talks nonsense.

Here is another one>
Marin wrote:Ww is all about exotic configurations.

I have 3 bikes, 4 (soon 5) sets of pedals, 6 sets of wheels and like 15 pairs of tires. I think I swap wheels & tires most often because every combination will make the bike feel different.

lol your wheels and tires has nothing to do with this pedal discussion.
Why you place changing wheels and pedals on the same level? Its a total different thing.

53x12

by 53x12

BRM wrote:You have your very own discussion apparently. I see no match with the original discussion.

When you don't understand that frequently swapping pedals is not a good idea for your material, you have a lack on technical knowledge and insight, sorry to say.

It looks like a virus took over here. One after the other talks nonsense.

BRM, I responded to this statement by "Lugan" regarding not understanding why everyone wouldn't have a 1:1 pedal-to-bike ratio.

I made the point that some people might not have a 1:1 ratio if they own a pedal based power meter. Perfectly reasonable and logical explanation for why one might not have a 1:1 ratio.

Again, back to the installation of the pedals, you have no idea what you are talking about and just need to stop posting nonsense. You are talking about improper care and installation which would be the same case for any bike part. As I said, with proper care and installation, taking the pedal on and off various bikes will not ruin it. If you screw up installation, sure.

mattr

by mattr

Um. We have about 15 or 16 bikes between us.

All are ready to ride (except a splash of oil and a pump of air)

I also have about a dozen spare sets of pedals.
At least.

Marin

by Marin

I suspect changing tires results in more wear to the affected components than swapping pedals.

But if someone is uncomfortable changing components on their bikes, it's perfectly fine if they refrain from doing it :)

jimborello

by jimborello

1:1 pedal bike ratio, look blades on all the road bikes and eggbeaters on my mtbs. I also have a spare of each in my tool box just in case

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

One set per bike:
Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105, M737