Q-factor Chorus vs Centaur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stian

by Stian

Hey !

I'm building up an bike and wonder if anybody knows the difference in Q-factor between Centaur and Chorus. I am planning to run the carbon compact version.

Need more reasons than weight to choose Chorus over Centaur.

Thanks

Stian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nexusheli

by nexusheli

The crank arms themselves are nearly identical. You're paying for the name and the chainring upgrade on the Chorus.

Here's the kicker: the Centaur requires a longer BB spindle. The Chorus uses an asymmetrical 102.5 spindle (like Record) where the Centaur needs the longer 111 symmetrical spindle. That said, your q-factor difference is probably close to 10mm wider for the Chorus.

Hope that helps.

divve

by divve

Not sure whether you'll notice it, but the Chorus version is quite a bit stiffer and it's 102mm symmetrical for the double.

Boonen

by Boonen

I'm not sure on the cf models, but the aluminium cranks of Chorus and Centaur have a slightly different fit. You'd have to use the Chorus with a Chorus or Record bottum bracket and the Centaur can only be used with Centaur, Veloce etc. bb.
I don't think there is much weight difference in the two (wasn't last years Daytona a bit lighter then Chorus :roll: ) but you will notice a difference in weight and quality in the bottum brackets! In my experience the Chorus bb is just so much better and longer lasting then the Centaur, so for that alone I could get the Chorus.

Stian

by Stian

Hey !

Thanks for sorting that out. Seems too be headed towards Centaur then. It's only about 150 grams difference between the two, but a whole lot of bucks. I am more concern about Q-factor and chain-line.

Stian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jpr

by jpr

Chainline is the same for Centaur/Chorus - so the same front derailleurs will work. The new Centaur Bottom Bracket is very similar to the Chorus but with a 111mm symmetrical axle. It weighs over 50g less than the old (AC-H) BB.

They claim the new BB is well matched to the Carbon Compact Chainset.