Sprinter Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fa63

by fa63

^^ Amen.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dombi

by Dombi

euan wrote:Buy a bike and sprint on it.

Cavendish won on Giants, Specialized and Pinarello. And what does that tell you? He was the best sprinter so he won.

Yeah i know. It’s still the legs that win the races and not the machines.

I'm searching for a Bike that's a good balance between stiffness, handling, a light weight and maybe aero. Is aero really necassary fo a sprinter?

KarlC

by KarlC

Dombi wrote:
euan wrote:Buy a bike and sprint on it.

Cavendish won on Giants, Specialized and Pinarello. And what does that tell you? He was the best sprinter so he won.

Yeah i know. It’s still the legs that win the races and not the machines.

I'm searching for a Bike that's a good balance between stiffness, handling, a light weight and maybe aero. Is aero really necassary fo a sprinter?

Maybe a BMC TMR01 then, lots of info here ..... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103728&hilit=tmr01
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Dombi

by Dombi

davidalone wrote:'good to handle' is a little subjective.... Some people like the laser sharp fast cornering feel of bikes with a more american geometry-what I call crit geometry. Others prefer a more relaxed bike, like the italian or continental bikes generally have.
will depend on your fit needs as well. the cipollini frames, while having a reputation as a sprinters bike, have pretty extreme positions.

I would take a look at these:

scott foil
Cannondale supersix
Look 695
Willier aero road bike- the name escapes me right now.
Spesh Venge- yea I know, common as muck nowadays, but still a pretty good bike.

Hey
These Bike looks great. But could you recommend some other Bikes, please? It's hard to get a lot of these Bikes in my Country.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Dombi wrote:
davidalone wrote:'good to handle' is a little subjective.... Some people like the laser sharp fast cornering feel of bikes with a more american geometry-what I call crit geometry. Others prefer a more relaxed bike, like the italian or continental bikes generally have.
will depend on your fit needs as well. the cipollini frames, while having a reputation as a sprinters bike, have pretty extreme positions.

scott foil
Cannondale supersix
Look 695

Thanks
What do you mean with crit geometry, italian and conti bikes? Could you give me some examples?
The Bikes looks great. Isn't aero necassary? You listed the Cannondale and that's not really aero.

ardennes777 wrote:What you further need to take into account is the quality of road surface you ride on swell (i.e. rough or smooth roads). If you do a bit of crit racing as well then I would definitely say:

- Propel Advance SL (Possibly upgrading the bike in mid 2015- maybe worth holding out for it)
- Noah Fast/Noah SL
- Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Frame (Possible upgrading the bike in mid 2015 - maybe worth holding out for it)
- Cervelo S3 or S5
- Cipollini RB1K (Slayer of a bike if you can afford it!!!)

Any one of these bikes with a fast deep set of wheels on them would be excellent choices!

I do a lot crit racing and for the most time i ride on smooth roads. The S3 or S5 isn't really good to handle. I think it's more for Triathlon or TT.

I like the Venge a lot but i want to ride another bike. My current Bike is a Tarmac.

Are you talking about the current S3 and S5? Because they are much much stiffer in the front end than their older counterparts.

Dombi

by Dombi

justkeepedaling wrote:
Dombi wrote:

scott foil
Cannondale supersix
Look 695

Thanks
What do you mean with crit geometry, italian and conti bikes? Could you give me some examples?
The Bikes looks great. Isn't aero necassary? You listed the Cannondale and that's not really aero.

ardennes777 wrote:What you further need to take into account is the quality of road surface you ride on swell (i.e. rough or smooth roads). If you do a bit of crit racing as well then I would definitely say:

- Propel Advance SL (Possibly upgrading the bike in mid 2015- maybe worth holding out for it)
- Noah Fast/Noah SL
- Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Frame (Possible upgrading the bike in mid 2015 - maybe worth holding out for it)
- Cervelo S3 or S5
- Cipollini RB1K (Slayer of a bike if you can afford it!!!)

Any one of these bikes with a fast deep set of wheels on them would be excellent choices!

I do a lot crit racing and for the most time i ride on smooth roads. The S3 or S5 isn't really good to handle. I think it's more for Triathlon or TT.

I like the Venge a lot but i want to ride another bike. My current Bike is a Tarmac.

Are you talking about the current S3 and S5? Because they are much much stiffer in the front end than their older counterparts.

I mean the new. I know they are stiffer than the old and both are really great bikes. But i don't like the Cervelos so much. I like the geometry of bikes like the venge, willier, foil... more.

by 11.4

Respectfully, you need to ride and race a lot before you'll know whether you can sprint better on one bike versus another. Position and weight distribution are more important than how the bike is built. Get out and race and sprint. You can't intellectualize this.

And by the way, you can't sprint if you can't stay with the leaders to the finish. So you need the bike and legs to make it to the finish in the lead group. At that point you've probably outdistanced most of the peloton already, including most of the riders who think they're sprinters.

Dombi

by Dombi

11.4 wrote:Respectfully, you need to ride and race a lot before you'll know whether you can sprint better on one bike versus another. Position and weight distribution are more important than how the bike is built. Get out and race and sprint. You can't intellectualize this.

And by the way, you can't sprint if you can't stay with the leaders to the finish. So you need the bike and legs to make it to the finish in the lead group. At that point you've probably outdistanced most of the peloton already, including most of the riders who think they're sprinters.

Yeah you're right with all. But for that i want and i need a new Bike. My riding skills aren't so bad.
So could you recommend a Bike with a similarly geometrie like the venge? I know that i don't like sprinting with a Tarmac.

prebsy

by prebsy

Fuji sst and the scott foil are two bikes I have found fantastic to sprint on. The are very stiff, solid geometry and a pinch of aero. Or if you want a really aggressive position pick up a felt f series. Their head tubes are basically a size smaller. ie 54 cm gets a 120mm head tube

by 11.4

what events have you won by sprint and what bikes were you riding?

kkibbler

by kkibbler

11.4 wrote:what events have you won by sprint and what bikes were you riding?

I'd love to be proven wrong but, in these kinds of threads, don't hold your breath for an answer.

There's value in knowing that I'm not any kind of rider that could reap the full benefits of a full "sprinting" bike or a full "climbing" bike. I'm free to choose a bike that fits me, looks nice, is affordable, and sold by a brand that I am willing to support.

boysa

by boysa

Troll, troll, troll.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

kgt

by kgt

True... many troll-like threads lately by new members.

davidalone

by davidalone

maybe if you want better advice give us your riding history and a shorlist of bikes that you CAN get.

OliViner

by OliViner

I've tried most top end frames for years - raced in Australia and Europe and im a sprinter.

Cant say enough good things about the CAAD10. Stiff, Light, Aero and cheap to replace if you bin it in a corner.

also the option for mechanical or electronic is a massive plus

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com